Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Front Strut bars-stupid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 12:05 AM
Front Strut bars-stupid?

Reading through the sticky on strut bars, several guys said that they are not necessary and "BS"/waste of money, etc. due largely to the design of the Fit. But then others-- even racers I have talked to--recommend them. Any input?

A rear strut bar is not even a consideration for me due to needing the cargo space, but what say you about the front bar?

Old 02-03-2008, 12:10 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
totally worth it. when my fit was new, first things i bought were front and rear strut bars. wheels and tires. my fit handled 110% better. i highly recommend them. any member that increases frame rigidity and connects your suspension is a good mod for handling. dont listen to the naysayers. listen to the people that have tried them.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:28 AM
Thanks bro! Love your ride BTW.

Old 02-03-2008, 04:42 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jsensk
Thanks bro! Love your ride BTW.
thanks dude. hope the strut bars work out for you.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Kelsodeez- I have a quick 2 question's.1st it say's to install,the car should be jacked up and the wheel's off the ground.Did you do that or no?2nd I've heard people say if you look at Car and Driver it went through the saloom faster than a Ferrari 430 spider so why mess with it.I was also thinking of getting one,but haven't talked to someone with one,so I am curious to the difference in handling to talked about.Thank's in advance.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:28 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mr.Ball
Kelsodeez- I have a quick 2 question's.1st it say's to install,the car should be jacked up and the wheel's off the ground.Did you do that or no?2nd I've heard people say if you look at Car and Driver it went through the saloom faster than a Ferrari 430 spider so why mess with it.I was also thinking of getting one,but haven't talked to someone with one,so I am curious to the difference in handling to talked about.Thank's in advance.
yea i jacked up my car before i put it on, but you only have to do it for the front. the rear one you can throw on without jacking it up because it attaches to the actual strut and not just around it. with the front, your body is flexed and for it to do its job correctly, it needs to go on with no weight on it.

i think car and driver said it beat the ferrari in the high speed lane change not the slalom. i would attribute that to a short wheel base and 1.5 stock rear negative camber. putting the strut bar is improving the way it responds to quick load changes on the suspension in tight cornering.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:22 PM
That's what I thought about the wheel base being shorter too.I'm not sure if it was the saloom or high speed lane change,but I will find out.Plus,the fact it could even be in the same sentence as Ferrari and performance,reguardless if it was the wheel base, is saying alot about the Fit. Also did the steering tighten up when you installed it?

Old 02-03-2008, 05:33 PM
I found the Car and Driver comment,"the fit posted an astonishing speed in our lane-change test(71.4mph)outhustling pedigreed athlete's such as a Ferrari F430 Spider F1..."Just thought some might find as a good read.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
Hey Kels:

Sorry for butting in, but wouldn't setting the length without weight try to cause a positive camber once you set the car back down?

I just got an Aspec bar and noticed the acceleration from a stop now sounds like I've added a header and pipes. Quiet the rest of the time and even returns to normal if I remove it. How is this possible? What is now NOT flexing that should be? Is the engine torque somehow spreading the exhaust open just enough to let a small amount out under heavy acceleration? ("Heavy acceleration" in a stock Fit, hahaha, sorry)

Thanks

Old 02-20-2008, 05:13 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
the Fit's chassis is not that rigid. you will benefit from a stb if you get
the right kind.

im running cusco and it is a night/day difference.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:49 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by can't finish anyth
Hey Kels:

Sorry for butting in, but wouldn't setting the length without weight try to cause a positive camber once you set the car back down?

I just got an Aspec bar and noticed the acceleration from a stop now sounds like I've added a header and pipes. Quiet the rest of the time and even returns to normal if I remove it. How is this possible? What is now NOT flexing that should be? Is the engine torque somehow spreading the exhaust open just enough to let a small amount out under heavy acceleration? ("Heavy acceleration" in a stock Fit, hahaha, sorry)

Thanks
it probably give a teeny bit of postive camber. but only like 0.1 degrees. nothing worth worrying over. i would have no idea why the engine gets louder in the cab though. maybe because your making a complete circle of connections from the motor mounts to your fenders. ok gotta go. im in the process of putting on my spoon torque damper and having mad trouble!