Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Toe Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 06:21 PM
Toe Problem?

hey guys, i went to get my car re-aligned today, and they told me my toe was too off and they couldnt do my alignment. the toe is really off in the back passenger side. do you have any suggestions or ideas as to how fix this?

Old 02-25-2008, 06:31 PM
did they re-aligned the front? the only thing you "can" do is add shims, someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

check this: Honda 2007 Fit SPC Performance Camber Kits

Old 02-25-2008, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by hmgFIT
did they re-aligned the front? the only thing you "can" do is add shims, someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

check this: Honda 2007 Fit SPC Performance Camber Kits
no they didnt re-align the front, he told me to go get my toe fixed first.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:45 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fit_love
hey guys, i went to get my car re-aligned today, and they told me my toe was too off and they couldnt do my alignment. the toe is really off in the back passenger side. do you have any suggestions or ideas as to how fix this?

huh, would you have any picts of your car taken at an angle
from the rear sides? be interested in seeing such out of alignment...
almost sounds like bs by the alignment shop.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
huh, would you have any picts of your car taken at an angle
from the rear sides? be interested in seeing such out of alignment...
almost sounds like bs by the alignment shop.
he gave me a printout that said my toe in the driver side back was .15 and the toe in the passenger side back was .37

Old 02-25-2008, 08:05 PM
I have the same problem, i just got my car back from the shop, they installed my eibach sportline springs and my toe is off in the back. Rear left .42 Rear right .31. He said there wasnt anything he could do but suggested i research it and let him know. I found Shims and was wondering if that would fix this whole issue of the toe being off and the rubbing i have because of it. Also the guy at the shop suggested that i should maybe get some minor body work to fix the issue... help?

Old 02-26-2008, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by fit_love
no they didnt re-align the front, he told me to go get my toe fixed first.
damn, atleast tell them to realigned the front... the rears will be okay you're not going to see a lot of affect unless you carry a lot of weight back there.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
same with me i have negative toe. i really dont think there is a fix to that.

otherwise i probably would have done it.

its really weird.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:24 PM
shims should fix the negative toe. spcperformance.com has them

Old 02-26-2008, 02:51 PM
Do all of you guys with toe problems in the rear have lowered cars? And how much is your car lowered? If not, what is causing these toe problems? Was your car in a wreck?

And are we talking about toe-out or toe-in? Your numbers don't make this clear. Toe is usually not described as positive or negative, but as "in" or "out" to indicate which way the front of the tire/wheel is directed). And where (on what part of the body/suspension) are you experiencing tire rubbing because of this?

That's a lot of questions, because I'm just confused by all this.

In any case, those kinds of toe readings in the rear shouldn't be a big problem (except for increased tire wear and maybe reduced gas mileage) and should not prevent the shop from aligning the front. You should take your car back and get them to align the front only. The rear alignment isn't even adjustable according to the factory repair manual, so they shouldn't worry about it.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:06 PM
toe in and yeah i got rubbing issues in the back. But i just bought a cool gadget from tirerack.com that will allow me to roll my fenders. cant wait!

Old 02-26-2008, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
check the aligment reading for my car in my newbs's intro page.

one of the last pages shows wat my alignment came out to be.
the rear's got severe toe-in but i dont really care. car runs fine
and doesn't pull. i'll just rotate the tires every 5k instead of 7k.

the car's current issue isn't the rear alignment for me, it's more
to do with damping.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:09 PM
toe in. yes im lowered on tein stechs. i think im just gunna take it to another shop and let them realign it, see what theyll do. i dont wanna get a camber kit. my tires arent wearing unevenly in the back, and im not getting any rubbing because of it, so we'll see what the next place tells me.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:49 PM
OK, so it appears to be caused by lowering. Interesting. And the rubbing isn't necessarily because of lowering, but wider tires. I got rubbing on my Fit with 16" tires and +40 offset wheels, even though the car isn't lowered. The tires rub the fender over big bumps, especially with my two dogs in the back. I rolled the fender lip and trimmed the evil bumper bolt and now no rubbing.

Well again, I wouldn't worry about the rear toe problems. I mean, ideally on these cars you want a little toe-out, which helps eliminate understeer, not toe-in. But I would definitely go back to those alignment shops and make them align the front regardless.

Hey Kenchan, I found your earlier post here:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...tml#post212040

I have alignment settings very similar to yours. I used the factory "crash bolts" in the front struts, which allow you to adjust camber. The new settings make a huge difference in handling grip so far! But it looks like your shop found nearly a half-degree of camber adjustment without the bolts. That's good to know!

Old 03-06-2008, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tattoopunk031
I have the same problem, i just got my car back from the shop, they installed my eibach sportline springs and my toe is off in the back. Rear left .42 Rear right .31. He said there wasnt anything he could do but suggested i research it and let him know. I found Shims and was wondering if that would fix this whole issue of the toe being off and the rubbing i have because of it. Also the guy at the shop suggested that i should maybe get some minor body work to fix the issue... help?
You guys need to understand that once you lower the Fit, the rear toe - is also changed. My guess is toe-in will be significantly increased especially if you lowered more than an inch. And of course camber and caster will change AS THE SUSPENSION INTENDS IT TO. remember dropping the Fit is equivalent to what happens to the outside wheels in a turn. Very generally, the camber is more negative and toe-in increases to offset the tire distortion when the vehicle turns.

I would carefully jack the car up to the original ride height (we use 13.75" to 13.87" wheel center to wheel arch above wheel center front and back) and check toe again. At the 'correct' height the suspension geometry is now as designed and caster, caster, and toe will be as would be expected. If those change when the Fit is dropped the change should be as designed. Now that doesn't hold for front TOE-IN. I would adjust front toe to zero to 1 mm toe-in as the car sits but let the rear go where it will. If we were racing I would shim the rear to get 1 to 2 mm rear toe-in. There should be minimal effects on tire wear even if you don't shim the rear.
Severe changes in camber and/or caster are another thing; significant changes at normal ride height will significantly affect tire wear.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member
my rear tire is really messed up....the rear right has quite a bit TOE-OUT and the rear left has about equal amount of TOE-IN....just ordered some shims....hope they can help me get my toe back in line.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:09 AM
5 Year Member
You appear to be dropped considerably which leads to excessive toe changes.
. In any case the only good way to correct rear toe is by shimming the backplate to the hubplate. That involves a tapered plate obtained by measurements and careful machining. Expect that process at least twice.
Or by repositioning the rear axle. If one side of the rear axle is OK on toe and the other side way off your axle probably isn't 'square' with the chassis. If that is the case you can 'split' the difference in toe on either side by squaring the axle. Requires machine shop kind of efforts.
In your case that might be the best chouice based on your toe measureds of toe. 'All' you need to do is trelocate the axle support brackets. In fact there may be enough freeplay in the brackets holes to let the axle reposition enough to square up to the chassis but don't count on it. In your case its first thing to try but professionals need to do that.

But both the ones we've done were shimming done on time and material basis. The charges exceeded $500 both times. One well exceeded. Washers on the 4 bracket bolts NOT recommended.
The Fit was not designed for much alteration.

Last edited by mahout; 04-28-2008 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:42 AM
5 Year Member
I'm actually dropped on skunk2s so the rear doesn't actually have that much drop, so I really donno why the rear toe is so out of aliament...I do autox quite a bit in this car, and I just want some what of an equal amount of turning ability both ways....

thanks alot for the information tho mahout, what kinda shop would I even take this to? and are you saying shimming isn't the best ideal? I really don't have too much money to spend on this, so I was going to try to do this shimming thing myself....

Old 04-28-2008, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
yep, i agree with the posts above. i actually raised the rear on my
car when i started running c/o's to not only give it better weight
distribution to the front (vs the DF210's) but also to lessen the
crazy toe-in i had in the rear.

the DF210's imho look real good, but as advertised, they are geared
more for dressup.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
britt,
you'll be ok.Just make sure the front toes are set back to oem.I went to Honda to get my alignment and the tech said that the rear left toe was just a little outside of the oem reccommended range and that with regular tire rotation,you shouldn't see any odd wear patterns.

Quick Reply: Toe Problem?