Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

oh man!!! soooooo sexy!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member
You cant mount spoon calipers to your FIT without following parts.

1. You need to custom the brackets

2. re-drill 4x100 280mm rotors

3. new hubs

Old 08-19-2008, 09:12 AM
I <3 SPOON
5 Year Member
what the ****?

how do u keep running into the owner of spoon?
i remember he signed ur ****ing car too!

WTF! Hook me up dude!

i <3 those Spoon calipers

-Ricky

Old 08-19-2008, 09:55 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITGD3
You cant mount spoon calipers to your FIT without following parts.

1. You need to custom the brackets

2. re-drill 4x100 280mm rotors

3. new hubs

actually, no.

what you need for the spoon brake conversion is

1. 282mm 21mm rotor (no redrilling required with project mu or endless)

2. 3mm spacer for behind the rotor

3.extended lugs

4. dc5 type r pads (or whatever will work)

Old 08-19-2008, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
sweet...i might pick those up.SUPER BREAKING POWER!

Old 08-19-2008, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
Old 08-19-2008, 12:52 PM
I <3 SPOON
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SD_MR_FIT
Braking lol sorry i'm one of those ppl who correct typos

don't hate

-Ricky

edit: there's a special w/ AJ-R comes with calipers rotors, pads, spacers, everything
hit them up

i'd pick them up if i had the dough

kelso: how much you get them for if you don't mind telling??

Old 08-19-2008, 12:53 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
yea i have the spacers on order but i am waiting on word back from endless about the size i need. if they dont have the size/bolt pattern i need in a 2 piece rotor, i will just get the project mu's. i never was a big fan of the spoon rotors.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:07 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SD_MR_FIT
haha dude, id say spend your money elsewhere. you dont need brakes if you cant go fast

Originally Posted by GD3-Fit

kelso: how much you get them for if you don't mind telling??
a gentleman never kisses and tells. hahaha. nah, they hooked it up because there was no shipping costs and because they already owed me 600 bucks. id rather not have everyone calling opak asking for a discounted price but they retail for about $1600.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
hand carried by ichi-san himself? i hope to make a road trip up to opak racing to pick up a few things after my wedding. my brother lives about an hour away from their shop. they do installations there too, right?

Old 08-19-2008, 02:06 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tofuman
hand carried by ichi-san himself? i hope to make a road trip up to opak racing to pick up a few things after my wedding. my brother lives about an hour away from their shop. they do installations there too, right?
they used to do installations when they were in san bruno. im not sure about now since they moved to infineon raceway in sonoma.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
they used to do installations when they were in san bruno. im not sure about now since they moved to infineon raceway in sonoma.
oh, woops, i didn't know they moved. well, they're still about the same distance from my brother's place if not closer. it's probably a nicer prettier drive heading in that direction though.
i'd like to pick up a zero bump steer kit and have it installed there
unless it's a super easy installation...

Old 08-19-2008, 03:48 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
oh, woops, i didn't know they moved. well, they're still about the same distance from my brother's place if not closer. it's probably a nicer prettier drive heading in that direction though.
i'd like to pick up a zero bump steer kit and have it installed there
unless it's a super easy installation...

you might want to call them or email them a month or two in advance to make sure they will have them because that is a pretty new product compared to the other GD series parts. also, it is a pain in the butt to install those. you have to drop both control arms, press out the old ball joint and press in the new one. i have the j's roll center adjusters and they were really hard to install. when i need new ones, i am just going to buy the j's control arm because it comes with the roll center adjuster already installed.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:40 PM
You get to meet the president of Spoon when you join the Platinum Customer Club. The PCC is for owners who have tripled the KBB value of their car in mods. Kelsodeez is one of the charter members of the PCC and therefore has the president of the company on speed dail at his home #. JFWY, very nice brake calipers you've got there. I'm wondering, do you need to make any changes to the master cylinder to increase the fluid capacity of the system to take advantage of the larger/ greater # of pistons? Have you already gone to discs in the rear as well? How do you deal with the brake bias issue if you haven't? Is anyone offering larger rotors/calipers for rear disc converted cars? Do you lose ABS function with Spoon calipers? (I know on true track cars most drivers prefer no ABS because of the better pedal feel/feedback and much better threshold response) Sorry for the blizzard of technical questions, I'm very interested to see what the results of your upgrades are. And please for the love of God man give us some hard #s before and after on 60 and 80 to 0 stopping distances. I would also love to know how fade resistant the complete system is. TIA, Ross

Old 08-19-2008, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
you might want to call them or email them a month or two in advance to make sure they will have them because that is a pretty new product compared to the other GD series parts. also, it is a pain in the butt to install those. you have to drop both control arms, press out the old ball joint and press in the new one. i have the j's roll center adjusters and they were really hard to install. when i need new ones, i am just going to buy the j's control arm because it comes with the roll center adjuster already installed.
Spoon sells arms with them installed too

but, do JDM arms fit USDM Fits?

Old 08-19-2008, 06:14 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Spoon sells arms with them installed too

but, do JDM arms fit USDM Fits?
i want to say yes. but that is pure speculation. i remember reading somewhere that the only difference between the usdm and the jdm front suspension are the upper strut mounts. im not certain though. i am going to do some research on this and get back to you because i might get a set of these as a backup for when my j's racing ball joints need replacing.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:29 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by grtpumpkin
Y I'm wondering, do you need to make any changes to the master cylinder to increase the fluid capacity of the system to take advantage of the larger/ greater # of pistons? Have you already gone to discs in the rear as well? How do you deal with the brake bias issue if you haven't? Is anyone offering larger rotors/calipers for rear disc converted cars? Do you lose ABS function with Spoon calipers? (I know on true track cars most drivers prefer no ABS because of the better pedal feel/feedback and much better threshold response) :
i was wondering the same thing. haha. i just talked to ben from aj racing. he is running the same setup. he said that the master cylinder is a 7/8:1 so its strong enough to handle a bbk.

brake bias should be fine. i am going to (and recommend to) change the shoes on the rear drums to something that will grip a little better. the rear discs dont improve braking distance all that much. mostly for show (but they are pretty awesome and i plan on getting rear discs).

Old 08-21-2008, 09:03 PM
Someone actually makes grippier shoes for the Fits rear drums!? Damn thats the coolest thing in the world. Usually when you tell a performance brake vendor you have rear drums and need better shoes they suggest you get a better car, LOL I'll be watching this thread for updates on your progress. I'm very interested to see what your feelings are on the differences made by all this exotic equipment. Sad, really that the T1R rear discs are not more "performance oriented" one would think if you're going to the trouble and expense of adding discs you'd get more than bling....

Old 08-21-2008, 11:13 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
yea spoon makes the shoes. i need to order them. i have so much stuff i need to get before i do my brakes. ughhhhh

Old 08-22-2008, 05:07 PM
I would also be interested to see if there is an external balance/bias controller for the Fit, or something that could be adapted to it. The trick with all the changes you are planning to make is that the OE brake balance was never intended to do what you are planning to ask of it. At best you'll just get a really soft pedal. At worst you'll end up with a rear-lock prone, ABS juddering, understeering monster. I hope you get neither of course, but thats why I am so interested. A manual bias control would be ideal because then you could dial out any lock-up issues that arise from the differential in brake fluid pressure from front to rear. This assumes of course that the ABS is no longer functional and fighting you every step of the way....

Old 08-22-2008, 09:42 PM
Fa1
Where's the pics of them mounted?!?!?!?

Quick Reply: oh man!!! soooooo sexy!!!!