Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-suspension-brake-modifications/)
-   -   Spring install help (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-suspension-brake-modifications/39897-spring-install-help.html)

gd3vbp 03-15-2009 12:34 PM

Spring install help

Anyone else have issues getting the nut on top of the front strut loose? I'm having problems getting the nut loose on the drivers side, so much so that I think the alan key spot is going to strip before I get it loose. Any ideas?

grtpumpkin 03-15-2009 02:42 PM

Spray a little WD40 or Liquid Wrench on it and let it sit for a while. If you have access to air tools use an impact wrench on it (thats what I did) It may also help if you hold onto the Allen key with a pair of Channel Locks to give you more leverage. Lastly put a spring compressor on the spring to take the tension off that top mount. In the DIYs on here they say you don't need to but I respectfully disagree, especially if you are having a hard time with that top nut. If you are talking about the under hood retainer that has to come off in order to release the top of the strut from the car, stop, take deep breath and make sure you are turning it in the right (correct) direction. It sounds stupid, but it just might be your problem. Good Luck!

gd3vbp 03-15-2009 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by grtpumpkin (Post 606017)
Spray a little WD40 or Liquid Wrench on it and let it sit for a while. If you have access to air tools use an impact wrench on it (thats what I did) It may also help if you hold onto the Allen key with a pair of Channel Locks to give you more leverage. Lastly put a spring compressor on the spring to take the tension off that top mount. In the DIYs on here they say you don't need to but I respectfully disagree, especially if you are having a hard time with that top nut. If you are talking about the under hood retainer that has to come off in order to release the top of the strut from the car, stop, take deep breath and make sure you are turning it in the right (correct) direction. It sounds stupid, but it just might be your problem. Good Luck!

Thanks, thats what I was worried about, I'll have to find someone with an impact, and I'll either have to find or buy a new deep 19mm to get it off. Its been soaking in pb blaster for 2 days and its not budging.

grtpumpkin 03-16-2009 10:45 PM

My drivers side one had me wondering if I shoulda had my Wheaties that morning. Then I slapped myself in the forehead and said "Do-oh" Went out to the garage and fired up the compressor. I didn't have a 19mm impact socket but the 3/4 was close enough to git er done. The other reason I advocate using the spring compressor is it gives you something to clamp in your bench vise. Trying to hold onto the strut with one hand while holding the Allen key and turning the socket wrench will leave you talking to yourself in a big hurry LOL Hope you get it loose, all the frustration is worth it!

gd3vbp 04-04-2009 02:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got it done in about an hour today, borrowed an impact from a friend and that bolt came right off. I miss having air tools at my disposal...

Attachment 65145

Attachment 65146

Shitty quick pics, I just grabbed the point and shoot my fiance left out.

grtpumpkin 04-04-2009 08:58 PM

Air tools FTW. Drop looks good, nice and even. Which springs are they?

Fat Ping Cat 04-05-2009 12:24 AM

definitely a nice install. what kind of springs???

props!

enjoito 04-05-2009 12:40 AM

looks good man. i had mean problems with axle popping out.

gd3vbp 04-05-2009 01:09 AM

Thanks, they're Skunk2's. I was skeptical at first, I really wanted Teins, but I'm happy with the choice.

kenchan 04-07-2009 02:27 PM

yes, most definitely looks good. :)

gd3vbp 04-07-2009 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by kenchan (Post 625202)
yes, most definitely looks good. :)

Thanks man, its odd getting used to dailying a lowered car again. It feels almost as stiff as my old accord.