Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Getting Coilovers... Which are best and why

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 08:05 PM
Exclamation Getting Coilovers... Which are best and why

Im getting coilovers for my 08 fit sport im looking for a 1.75-2" drop... This will be my first mod along with new 16" or 17" wheels and tires. I really need to know which brand is going to be best and why? Ive heard that i should get some that are able to have the height adjusted as well as stiffness... i have about $1200 estimated but i dont know if thats a good estimate. I dont know too much about cars so if its not too much to ask can you please make ur anwers easy to understand lol. the reason im going with coilovers is because most of the older threads i read say coilovers are better than springs... I know they are pricier but id rather spend more for good quality. Also i could use some recommended websites to order from.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
first off, what are your intentions with the car? daily driving? canyon carving? track time?

Old 09-24-2010, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
skunk2 pro c coilovers are best

Old 09-25-2010, 03:31 AM
daily use... eventually doing some racing but nothing serious at all.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:44 AM
I have had the Skunk Pro-C's for about 2 years now and I like them a lot. It really really improves the cars handling. Realize that even with adjustable coil overs you will not be able to adjust them to anything that is remotely as soft as stock. If you use this as a family car I would keep the stock dampers and just get some Eibach Coils. But if you are willing to live with a fairly harsh ride and doge potholes its totally worth it

Old 10-06-2010, 09:25 AM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Skunk2 Pro C's if you want some PM me and I can get you a deal.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:41 PM
buddyclub gets my vote

Old 10-28-2010, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
hey... i posted up a review about buddy club n+ coilovers about 2 weeks ago. i hope it helps. in sum, if your fit is your daily whip and you want a 2 inch drop, i would go with eibach sportlines and good set of shocks. if anything, try the sportlines with just your stock shocks and see of you don't mind the ride (then buy a good set of aftermarket shocks). the ride of the buddy club coilovers, as a daily driver, is terribly harsh and feels like my car is going to falling apart...

i'm going to take my coilovers off my car this weekend and going to put my eibach prokits with stock shocks back on because the ride quality for daily driving is more tolarable with them on. i'm considering getting the eibach sportlines because i want the same drop as you (2 inch) but with some comfort too. the prokits are a good set of springs on stock shocks but i would like to go lower (that's why i got the buddy club coilovers). i never and don't plan to track my car so i don't need super stiff suspension. my car is used only as a daily driver but i also was a "sporty"/low look... i guess it was an expensive trial and error on my part.

i would definitely recommend the buddy club coilovers ONLY if you track your car on the regular and have good streets for your daily commute (barely any pot holes).

i hope this reply isn't too late with your decision to buy. if you need anything just pm homie.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
^
^
am also planning to mod my suspension.
i don't plan to track my fit, i just want a better handling on corners
because it really sucks right now!!!!. this will be a daily driver/family car.

ur suggestion is eibach prokit springs with stock shocks?how about Eibach Sportline Spring Set
is the stock shocks enough?

after install do i need to have the car aligned/cambered? Do i need this if i get coil-overs?
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...ded+Align.+Kit

whats the difference between "premium" and "performance street" ?
can u suggest a reasonable shop to buy it with.

thanks

Last edited by phenoyz; 10-29-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
hey phenoyz..

IN MY OPINION

i wouldn't go with coilovers with your fit if it's a family car, daily driver, and will never be on a track. coilovers give a much more stiffer ride even with the dampers set to a softest settings. depending on what kind of drop you want, i would go with eibach springs with aftermarket shocks to match. i'm not suggesting to go with the prokit, i'm suggesting lowering springs over a coilover set due to your driving wants.

the eibach prokits have a 1.5 inch drop in the front.
the eibach sportlines have a 2.0 inch drop in the front.

i myself am going to buy sportlines soon to replace the prokits because they sit too high for me. the handling with the prokits are GOOD (much better than stock) but don't expect to handle as well as a good coilover kit.

as for price... when you buy online, consider the cost for shipping. with shipping, eibach sportline springs should be about $205.00 (give or take)

a thing to consider... right now, i'm running with eibach prokits and 16" wheels with a +45 offset. my rear wheels have never scrapped my fender even with people in the back. but, my front wheels scrape my fenders only on VERY VERY hard dips. with coilovers, i never scrapped my fenders even with a lower drop because the coilovers were so stiff. if i ever get to buy sportlines, i'm sure i'll be scrapping a whole lot more.

hope this helps!

Old 10-30-2010, 12:35 AM
5 Year Member
hey raquino925 !!!

my car is 09 base model
my rims are enkei-rpf1, 15x7, offset 41,backspace 5.55
if i get the eibach pro-kit do i need to buy this also:
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...ded+Align.+Kit

Do i need to have it cambered/aligned after install?

with coil-overs how "STIFF" is stiff, because right now
the stock suspension is REALLY BUMPY and Bad handling on corners.

can u suggest a good aftermarket shocks

thanks again

Last edited by phenoyz; 10-30-2010 at 01:13 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
hey phenoyz,

with the eibach prokit and 15 inch wheels, i wouldn't get an camber alignment kit. i've ran my prokits on 16 wheels for about a year and rotated my tires every oil change and i haven't seen inner tire premature wear (that's when the inner tread wears out before the outer). i'm sure in the future there will be but it is so minimal as of now.

you should get an alignment after replacing major parts of your suspension.

the buddy club N+ coilovers were so stiff (even on the softest setting) that the smallest crack and pothole in the road would have me puckering my butt. i don't even want to get started on crossing railroad tracks. the handling was, hands down, AMAZING. but ride quality, FOR A DAILY AND FAMILY, is not good.

if you are going with the eibach prokit, don't worry about replacing the shocks. the stock shocks we have are KYB brand (look for the seal on the strut). KYB make good shocks and you don't want to buy the same exact shocks to REPLACE the same exact shocks. i haven't heard good things about tockico blues for our car. BUT i have tockico blue shocks with eibach sportlines on my 2000 accord coupe. the ride and handling was very good.

ALSO.. phenoyz, i just realized that we have different generations of the fit. i have the 1st and i am talking from my experience with my car not the new ones.

Last edited by raquino925; 10-30-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
Hey Yoshi11289...

sorry we stole your tread,

if i were to buy coilovers again, i would go with skunk2 pro c's because they come with adjustable sway bar endlinks. the stock sway bar endlinks are so crazy hard to get off and once they're off, it crazy hard to put back on. plus, skunk2 comes with the hub on top of the strut which is nice AND the bottom of the front struts are adjustable (for height) not just the springs. AND, i'm not sure about this but i'm almost sure, the damper adjustments are on the top of the struts (this is convenient because, in comparison, buddy club N+ coilovers' adjust damper setting on the bottom of the strut (in the fronts only)).

Old 10-30-2010, 12:05 PM
get TEIN S-compact coilover
the ride is not hard or harsh but yet not too soft, just nice.
I've been using it as my daily.