Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Hawk HPS pads?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
Hawk HPS pads?

I just received a set of Hawk HPS pads and have a question. Approximately 20% of the pad material is devoted toward a ramp up to the flat surface. This cuts down dramatically on the pad surface. Is this true of other pad options? It seems this would cut way down on the potential braking ability. I have had Hawk HPS before and like their noise vs. braking abilitly, but these seem to be a serious compromise.

I just want to know what other aftermarket pads are like so I know if I need to send these back and get something else.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:39 PM
Same force applied over smaller area makes for more pressure.

I've used the HPS pads on several cars and intend to do the same with the GD3 when the brembo rotors go on this spring.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
I wondered the same thing while installing my hawks. All I can say is that they work awesome.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:45 PM
Every performance oriented pad i've used has been like that

I have HPS on one on my prior rigs and I loved them. Will probably get some for the Fit when my pads go out.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
just get HP Pluses and your worries will go away.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
Have HPS's on my Rex but not the Fit. Will be switching to StopTechs just to see how they stack up coz I only have the OEMs to compare with for now. Definitely hard pads... left some pits on my Powerslot rotors...

Old 12-02-2011, 10:11 AM
5 Year Member
Pads are now on with EBC USR rotors. I'm very glad that I didn't go with a more aggressive pad. Since the Fit is so small and light, these pads are LOUD! I don't think it's the rotors since they are made with the idea of quiet in mind.

The last car I had these on was an Olds Aurora with PowerSlot rotors and I didn't hear them at all. Of course the Olds was so insulated that I didn't hear anything except the growl of the Aurora v8 once it was over 6,000rpm.

I do still have one problem that I was hoping the pads, rotors, and brake fluid change would fix. The car pulls to the right under moderate/heavy braking. Not severe, just don't let go of the wheel. More brake dust accumulates on the passenger side also. I'm guessing it's a proportioning problem from the factory and isn't easily fixed.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Pads are now on with EBC USR rotors. I'm very glad that I didn't go with a more aggressive pad. Since the Fit is so small and light, these pads are LOUD! I don't think it's the rotors since they are made with the idea of quiet in mind.

The last car I had these on was an Olds Aurora with PowerSlot rotors and I didn't hear them at all. Of course the Olds was so insulated that I didn't hear anything except the growl of the Aurora v8 once it was over 6,000rpm.

I do still have one problem that I was hoping the pads, rotors, and brake fluid change would fix. The car pulls to the right under moderate/heavy braking. Not severe, just don't let go of the wheel. More brake dust accumulates on the passenger side also. I'm guessing it's a proportioning problem from the factory and isn't easily fixed.
i had the same problem of pulling to the right under heavy braking when i had ebc green stuff.

i have since switched to hawk hps and the problem has been resolved. i hope you also adjusted the brake shoes when you changed out the pads.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JJIN
i had the same problem of pulling to the right under heavy braking when i had ebc green stuff.

i have since switched to hawk hps and the problem has been resolved. i hope you also adjusted the brake shoes when you changed out the pads.
The only thing I did to the rear was flush the old brake fluid out. Do the rears need adjusting? Most are self adjusting. My last vehicle with drum brakes was my '92 Mustang LX 5.0. I though rear drums were ridiculous on a "modern" car back then. I can't believe I have them again almost 20 years later.