Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

T1R Basic Dampers - 300 Mile Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
T1R Basic Dampers - 300 Mile Review

First of all, I've just gotta say thanks again to the folks at A&J Racing; you guys rule and I can't wait to order my next batch of goodies.

So after 7 days and 300 miles of around town, highway, and canyon road driving, here's an average-guy review of the T1R Basic Dampers. (Neither A&J or T1R have given me anything to write this, so I don't have an axe to grind - purely my opinions, nothing else)

Link to photos:

https://plus.google.com/photos/11780...11696047185697

Some background:

My previous setup (and very first modifications) were wheels (Konig Air, 15x6.5, +38, 205/50/R15) and EnduraTech coil overs (noisy, too squishy). With that, I was able to achieve the stance I wanted, but had to be really careful when it came to topping-out the suspension travel. Bumps and dips at speed, and too much additional weight caused some rubbing of the tires on wheel arch liners/fender lips. Kind of annoying and not ideal, but not altogether terrible.

T1R Basic Dampers:
First impressions

Upon unboxing the set, my first impression was that of WAY better quality than the EnduraTech coil overs. The T1R set appeared to have been designed and engineered with more thought and precision. Even the spanners and end links were an upgrade from the EnduraTechs. Plus, the blue anodizing is a great touch.

After installation:

I had my mechanic (Shinzo Automotive in Irvine, CA) perform the installation. Since I'd just recently gotten narrower tires (195/50/R15), he was able to set the height a little bit lower than before. From the ground to the tops of both wheel arches measures 23" and leaves about a 1 finger gap. The ride height with the T1R set is, in my opinion, damn near perfect. And with the narrower tires, I don't have to worry as much with scraping.

Performance:

The EnduraTech setup I had been driving on for the last 3 years wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great, which is what I had become accustomed to. Noisy, slow rebound rates, and not very tight. Okay for non-spirited daily driving, but they just felt too sloppy for any driving where I wanted crisp responsiveness.

Crisp responsiveness is the name of the game with the T1R dampers. My first drive after the installation was almost a religious experience. In fact, I may have teared up. I remember thinking, "this is EXACTLY what I wished I had the ENTIRE TIME I've owned my GD3".

Sharp. Nimble. Precise. Telepathic, almost. Every bit of information the asphalt has to offer gets communicated straight to me, even though the electric steering is a little numb. If I ran over a rattlesnake, I bet I could feel both its eyes. But I get all that feedback without being shaken to death or bounced out of my seat.

T1R has done a magnificent job of blending taught, tidy, quiet, sporty handling with daily driving comfort. I really believe they've gone to good lengths avoiding the sacrifice of comfort in the name of achieving track-like handling quality. These dampers make me feel like I can point the car into a canyon and just eat up the road, grinning like an idiot the entire time. I can honestly say that with a handling feel this nice, I don't constantly wish I had more than 109 horsepower.

One last note on performance, and maybe I'm making things up here, but I found it interesting. It seems like I've gotten improved throttle response. I know it sounds crazy (or maybe not), but I figure if the engine expends less energy through the movement and flexion of a sloppy suspension, it can get power to the wheels more efficiently. Nothing earth shattering, but definitely a noticeable improvement.

Conclusion:

Not that I've done that much to modify my GD3, but in my opinion, if you want the best driving satisfaction, enjoyment, and value for money, you should very seriously consider the T1R Basic Dampers. They will literally make you smile just thinking about going for a drive. And that's why we love the GD3 in the first place, right? It's a fun, functional, quirky little Honda people become fanatical about and attached to. Adding these dampers will give any Fit owner a very legitimate reason to become even more attached.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the review! Glad you like our product!

Regards,

Jason @ AJR

Old 04-06-2013, 11:19 AM
how was the ride with a passenger?

Old 04-23-2014, 12:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by filipinoy06
how was the ride with a passenger?
Pretty rough.

With a full car...embarrassing. Rear seat passengers will wonder what they did to make you hate them so much. It literally feels like there is no travel. (And I have mine setup to retain as much travel as possible. Not "slammed" at all)

I've had mine for close to 4k and they are a source of much regret.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
Basic kit or B52 kit?

Originally Posted by GoFits
Pretty rough.

With a full car...embarrassing. Rear seat passengers will wonder what they did to make you hate them so much. It literally feels like there is no travel. (And I have mine setup to retain as much travel as possible. Not "slammed" at all)

I've had mine for close to 4k and they are a source of much regret.

Did you have the basic kit or the B52 kit? Maybe the basic kit is less aggressive? Do you think you would regret the Basic kit as well? I am close to making a decision and would like your opinion.

Thanks

Old 07-01-2015, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
I would have to say all the T1R coilovers will fail . Not worth the money. Get Tokico.