Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

tough suspension help

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 08:24 AM
5 Year Member
tough suspension help

I have the T1R damper and s-tech springs, I love them. I have them coupled with a progress lower rear sway + T1r lower arm bar and a tanabe rear sway at the start (far to squeaky for DD) so I removed it about 1000 miles after install. I live in New Hampshire and our roads suck due to frost heaves and poorly maintained roads. My rear left suspension is blown and loud and I don't want to go back to stock but I can't see myself buying another set of lowering gear to only have to replace it after a season. (Been through a set of D2's before the T1r's and those were cheap but complete junk.)

I'm torn on what to do, I already don't run a fully adjustable C/O due to our excessive use of salt on our roads and the corrosion that eats them up. What is seems that I need is a suspension that is not going to turn to trash by the elements and not be so stiff that it ruins the suspension.

Anyone with any suggestions would help so much, I don't have a huge budget.

Daniel

Old 12-31-2012, 11:15 AM
Buy a good reputable coilover and protect it.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
Oh man killer advice there krunk! Now to find a coilover that will cope well with the nh frostheaves.

Thanks for the advice krunk.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not sure what all is available for the GD, but a high quality shock/strut set should do the trick. My preference would be Koni yellows, but once again, I'm not sure what they make as replacements out there. I'm pretty positive that KYB has a model. If you pair that up with your springs, you probably won't get a lot more damping, but the units won't fail like stockers.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
I an willing to pick up a whole new set of suspension. Just not sure which route I should go as far as not being to stiff so I don't blow out another shock. Right now its a consistent tune of my t1r shock bottoming out on itself.

thanks for the advice.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
The only still available performance strut for the GD is the Tokico HTS adjustable damper. I have nearly 40K+ on mine and they still perform fantastic. They were on sale direct from Tokico for around $500-550 shipped for a full set or 4....

Check out this thread: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-feedback.html

And here they are on Tociko's site:Tokico Shock Kit - HTS Series : TOHTS509

Numerous folks I know are running this setup now, and every one who has it LOVES it!

I have mine paired with the Swift Sport Mach springs and my fellow club member has them with the Eibach Sport Line so both the least and most drop you can have on just springs. For the Eibachs we did modify the bump stops a little, but the HTS's work great no matter what springs it seems you pair them with! It takes a little time to tune them in since they don't have specific "clicks," but once you have it setup the way you want it's like a whole new Fit!

Oh... after re reading that feedback thread, as of Nov though there were only 3 sets of these left in the Tokico warehouse... If you decide to go this route I would jump on it and call them soon!

Last edited by TPColgett; 12-31-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:31 PM
5 Year Member
Colgett, you hit it right on. My price range and everything. Thanks for the help. Fit freak has always been the best for advice!

Daniel

Old 12-31-2012, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bragi
Colgett, you hit it right on. My price range and everything. Thanks for the help. Fit freak has always been the best for advice!

Daniel
Any time!

Better call SOON though, the sale was to move the remaining stock and there were only a few sets left in stock in Nov...

Old 12-31-2012, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by krunk13
Buy a good reputable coilover and protect it.
Thanks for sharing these!!! This is an awesome idea... Luckily I don't have to deal with salted roads, but I'm going to look into these regardless!!!

Old 12-31-2012, 01:20 PM
Yeah I was looking into these for my Fit since it snows where I am. Gotta keep all the salt and crap away from suspension components.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
Putting the suspension on order, do you think I should keep my t1r s-tech springs or go with another company like progress?

Daniel

Old 12-31-2012, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by krunk13
Yeah I was looking into these for my Fit since it snows where I am. Gotta keep all the salt and crap away from suspension components.
Soon I'm going to be regularly monkeying around with my dampers and swapping springs to try out different springs rates... So ANYTHING helping to keep things clean and easier to remove/install/adjust is something I am ALL for!

Old 12-31-2012, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
Putting the suspension on order, do you think I should keep my t1r s-tech springs or go with another company like progress?

Daniel
Spring preference appears to be ALL about personal driving/asthetic preference.

I run the Swift's because they are linear, don't drop the car so low as to create bump steer issues, have a decent FR ratio at 1 : 1.86 without being to biased for daily driving, and are 100% reputable. I also prefer FUNCTION>form.

Bottom of the second page in this thread has all the springs for the GD in a convenient spread sheet for review : https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...arision-2.html

Looks like the T1R are fairly firm in the rear, and lower the car about 1 1/2" F and R which MIGHT add a slight forward rake and have a FR ratio of around 1 : 1.9 which is on the higher side, so ought to help promote a lighter, over steer like rear.

If you like all that, keep it. If your looking for something else, take a look at the other options on the sheet

Old 12-31-2012, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for all your help colgett, have my situation figured out because of you. Greatly appreciated!

Daniel

Old 12-31-2012, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
Haha, anytime! GD suspension is kinda my pet project/obsession at the moment

Old 12-31-2012, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
Tokico suspension is on its way!

Old 12-31-2012, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
Tokico suspension is on its way!
WOOT! Hahah, that's one more person helped Maybe I really should have asked for commissions Did you make a decision on the springs?

Old 12-31-2012, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
I believe I'm going to go with the swift if I can find a set. Have not had time to research fully yet.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member
fwiw... got my swifts from kspec...

should be getting my hts' soon as well

Old 01-03-2013, 09:22 AM
Question Bad suspension

Aside from changing the whole suspension of the Fit to improve performance, has anyone ever tried spring cushions? Does it help?

Quick Reply: tough suspension help