Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Front Shock Mount Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 10:56 AM
ite
Front Shock Mount Problem

hi guys, this cap, or rubber or what so called that protects the chassis and the upper shock mount
heres a pic... mine has a little space in it. and its kinda scary. is this normal or what?

here's a pic
Name:  xQkSmr3.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  128.1 KB

Old 03-31-2014, 10:59 AM
ite
oh its a front shock absorber support

Old 03-31-2014, 12:06 PM
ite
Old 03-31-2014, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
Old 04-01-2014, 09:45 AM
5 Year Member
this is odd...

i would verify that the nut holding the spring top hat on is tightened down as that will take up unnecessary space, then reinstall and retorque the top perch nut again...

Old 04-01-2014, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ite
hi guys, this cap, or rubber or what so called that protects the chassis and the upper shock mount
heres a pic... mine has a little space in it. and its kinda scary. is this normal or what?

here's a pic
That upper mount washer should seat in the upper mount. If the nut is tightened against the end of the threads use spacers to have the washer seat against the mount.
You might want to investigate why the piston rod is not letting the washer seat. Could it be you loewered the car a bit too much and the rod is resting against the bottom of the shock? If thats the case you must fix that before you firmly seat the upper washer to the mount.

Last edited by mahout; 04-01-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:06 PM
ite
Originally Posted by jbbuilt
So no major problem to this space,or gap except for the look? Im scared it might damage my struts ,suspension or chassis

Old 04-02-2014, 02:08 PM
ite
Originally Posted by apexanimal
this is odd...

i would verify that the nut holding the spring top hat on is tightened down as that will take up unnecessary space, then reinstall and retorque the top perch nut again...
Yup the nut holding the spring top hat is tightened down, but still has this gap or space..

Old 04-02-2014, 02:11 PM
ite
Originally Posted by mahout
That upper mount washer should seat in the upper mount. If the nut is tightened against the end of the threads use spacers to have the washer seat against the mount.
You might want to investigate why the piston rod is not letting the washer seat. Could it be you loewered the car a bit too much and the rod is resting against the bottom of the shock? If thats the case you must fix that before you firmly seat the upper washer to the mount.
I really didnt notice before and after installing my lowering springs if there was a space or gap before.. Thats why when i noticed it i was scared

Mybe im having the same problem to this? Strut top excess space FIX - Honda Fit Forums

Old 04-21-2014, 11:27 AM
ite
Anyone? Need help hehe

Old 04-25-2015, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
Is there anyone NOT having this problem?

Old 05-01-2015, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
That is not normal at all.

You need to tighten your suspension up.

I would remove the front strut and inspects the top hats and spring bearings and so forth. Something could have come loose as well. You will need to more than likely tighten the nut above or under the top hat depending.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
Mmmmm. You sound verry comfident in your words. I would like to see one of this pictures with no gap. I think thats not going to happen. Because of that I think this is not a problem. I changed the big rubber bush that comes underneath(dont know the real name of the part) and bearing also. Situation is the same as of gap, it still exists, but there is big improvement in the ride.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:09 AM
Front shock bearings

Hi!
Would anyone know if I can change the front shock bearings for my Honda Fit 2006, with any other shock bearings from a different honda like Honda Civic or Honda Fizz or whatever any kind: As the ones for Honda Fit are damn expensive in Ireland
Thank You
Dora

Old 08-08-2015, 07:12 AM
5 Year Member
Edit: i answer to wrong reply.

Try to find SKF bearings. They are cheep as 5€ or so.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by ite

here's a pic
This is done by design and is normal. This gap allows for slight movement sideways when steering wheel rotates to the left or right. If you've noticed the shape of the rubber strut moount, it is round that acts as a pivot point when you steer left or right. When your steer left, you would notice that stud(piston rod) at the top tends to lean to the right from the drives position perspective. And leans to the left when you steer to the right. If there is no gap, the top mount metal as in the picture in the original post would have no space to lean side ways. I believe this is the purpose of that gap. I have a video that shows that movement if you're interested. I just couldn't post it here probably due to format.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:03 PM
Shock Mounting

Originally Posted by eagle8305
This is done by design and is normal. This gap allows for slight movement sideways when steering wheel rotates to the left or right. If you've noticed the shape of the rubber strut moount, it is round that acts as a pivot point when you steer left or right. When your steer left, you would notice that stud(piston rod) at the top tends to lean to the right from the drives position perspective. And leans to the left when you steer to the right. If there is no gap, the top mount metal as in the picture in the original post would have no space to lean side ways. I believe this is the purpose of that gap. I have a video that shows that movement if you're interested. I just couldn't post it here probably due to format.
Hey Joe, Can you send the link of the video? thanks

Old 12-25-2019, 08:21 AM
My 2016 is getting a lovely "clunk" over bumps on both sides. I am taking it in to the dealer I bought it from on 11/11/19 for the second time to have them find out why there is so much play in the strut mounts. I took it to their sister dealership, and they said they couldn't hear anything and the service manager basically called the Fit an inferior product, and a cheap car, so I have to deal. So I got pissed and got ahold of the main dealer and they are taking it in to make sure it gets fixed.

If you lift the front end a few inches off the floor, and pry up on the tire, you can hear the obvious clunk, and feel the clunking/movement on the upper strut mount. I think the strut bearings are shot, and or the rubber strut mount. All I know is I didn't pay $14k for a clunky front end. I drive my CRV so I don't get irritated by the noise. I like my Fit, but they need to fix it right.

Old 01-15-2021, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by ChrisA70
My 2016 is getting a lovely "clunk" over bumps on both sides. I am taking it in to the dealer I bought it from on 11/11/19 for the second time to have them find out why there is so much play in the strut mounts. I took it to their sister dealership, and they said they couldn't hear anything and the service manager basically called the Fit an inferior product, and a cheap car, so I have to deal. So I got pissed and got ahold of the main dealer and they are taking it in to make sure it gets fixed.

If you lift the front end a few inches off the floor, and pry up on the tire, you can hear the obvious clunk, and feel the clunking/movement on the upper strut mount. I think the strut bearings are shot, and or the rubber strut mount. All I know is I didn't pay $14k for a clunky front end. I drive my CRV so I don't get irritated by the noise. I like my Fit, but they need to fix it right.
Did you get this addressed?
I think I'm having the same issue on my 2016. The front end sounds and feels like it's got a loose upper bearing(s)/strut mount(s).
Really irritating to be honest!

Old 01-16-2021, 06:49 AM
Originally Posted by BMWguy22
Did you get this addressed?
I think I'm having the same issue on my 2016. The front end sounds and feels like it's got a loose upper bearing(s)/strut mount(s).
Really irritating to be honest!
I ended up replacing the front struts with KYB struts, and all genuine Honda upper parts, mount, bearing, etc. I told the loser Honda dealership I bought it from over and over something was wrong, they argued it was fine, and “normal”. After I replaced everything it was as quiet as a new car. I put negative reviews all over the internet for them as to the TWO dealerships they own, and how all of their “master technicians”, at both places made it look like I was hearing things.

Anyway...I guarantee if you replace everything you will stop all of the clunking. It’s a pretty easy job and my alignment was still perfect afterwards.

Quick Reply: Front Shock Mount Problem