Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Need Help With Coilovers for GD3

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
Need Help With Coilovers for GD3

Ok I need some help. I will start out by saying I have searched a lot and not really finding a lot of current info to help.

Short Version: What is a Sub $800 coilover or suspension option for the GD3?

I am looking for some coilovers for our 2007 honda fit. It currently has OEM shocks with Tein Stechs and with near 100k miles the ride is well terrible. What I would ideally like is a Sub $800 coilover that I can adjust the ride height (never fully liked how the car sat with the stechs). I also like the full coilover option for easier install.

The issue I am running into is there is so few options for this car from any company with even a halfway decent rep that aren't overly expensive. The car is 100% street driven by my wife who does not need $1600 worth of suspension.

A few questions. What if anything is offer in the under $800 that isn't a complete pile of crap (ie ebay no name $400 coilovers)? Also from looking at what redshift offers is seems like GE suspension will fit the GD3 since they sell koni's that are made for the GE but say they will fit a GD3 has anyone actually done this? All the threads I have read state it might be possible but I cannot find anyone that has tried it.

Sorry for the long post

Old 04-17-2015, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
Been messing around on redshifts site. Thinking about doing the Koni orange with progress springs. Again the car is 100% street driven so it doesn't need to be a canyon carving machine. Will this be way to soft or good? Other option is the Stechs or swifts(swifts are about $100 more) again but I don't like how the front sits lower than the rear with the stechs.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
Cheap coilover options are crap for the Fit.

Red Shift is probably the way to go. I'd just grab some OEM replacement shocks and swift springs though, my plan for the GE is just Koni Oranges + Swift Springs.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah leaning towards the oranges and either swifts or progress. Sucks the oranges are on backorder but it is nice redshift will assemble everything for you also. I installed the stechs that are on the car and that was a PITA so not really wanting to go through all that again.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:54 PM
Two cliches for you: You get what you pay for, and You got to pay to play. If you bump up your price limit to $1000USD there should be more options.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah thanks I know the deal. The s2000 gets the expensive track coilovers. The fit is a daily driver. So what options are there for $1k because as mentioned the complete koni setup with swifts assembled is $855 shipped to my door. I don't need cliches I need suggestions and info.

Last edited by Manga_spawn; 04-18-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:01 AM
5 Year Member
I think the konis and swifts are the way to go

Old 04-19-2015, 05:41 AM
s0x
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Manga_spawn
Yeah thanks I know the deal. The s2000 gets the expensive track coilovers. The fit is a daily driver. So what options are there for $1k because as mentioned the complete koni setup with swifts assembled is $855 shipped to my door. I don't need cliches I need suggestions and info.
meagan, form and function type 2, T1R, buddy club n1 are all options for sub 1000 coil overs with adjustable dampening that are not "no name" eBay brands..

Old 04-19-2015, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
^Those are no better than eBay options.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
Well Konis and swifts I think is the way to go. Just have to wait till June since they are back ordered.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:21 AM
s0x
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
^Those are no better than eBay options.
what would you consider to be a solid coil over set up? skunk2? tein basics? or none of the above? what about d2?

Old 04-21-2015, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
I have suggestions for you.

1. Function and form type II.
2. Buddy club.
3. D2
4. HSD. these are $1299. But I'll tell you the Fit handles so nice with them. I've been running mine for a few weeks now. No complaints.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
Anyone hear anything about the BC Racing coilovers? I'm currently in the market for coils as well.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by isthata_scion
Anyone hear anything about the BC Racing coilovers? I'm currently in the market for coils as well.
Those are great coils.

I just rode in a slammed bimmer tucking tire, missing the locking perch and they drove real nice.

It all depends what your goal is. Are you going function over form or form over function?

HSD, BC, Buddy Club, Function and Form are all great. They handle amazingly. However, they will not give you the laying frame unless you remove perches and buy adjustable end links.

Last edited by GinoLicious; 04-24-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
Figured I would post an update on this. I have ordered the koni oranges with swift springs from Redshift. I must say these guys have great service as they contacted me right after my order letting me know the timeline as they needed to order the springs and when I would have the suspension. For $855 shipped I could not find another option that beat the value.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
The only issue with the kit ordered is that it is not a coilover but for daily driving it's probably the best set-up.

Old 05-25-2015, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Manga_spawn
Figured I would post an update on this. I have ordered the koni oranges with swift springs from Redshift. I must say these guys have great service as they contacted me right after my order letting me know the timeline as they needed to order the springs and when I would have the suspension. For $855 shipped I could not find another option that beat the value.
Chris has been fantastic to deal with, him and I have been trying to locate the Tokico HTS shocks for quite sometime.

However, when inquiring about other suspension, the Koni Oranges were ruled out as according to Chris, they are no better than stock.

As for Buddy Club, absolute junk. I'm currently running these, and the two rear shocks have already failed. I'm not having difficulty finding another reputable solution, but everyone should stay away from this company given the absolutely horrible build quality and customer service.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
It's nice to see there are still guys like this. Since our fit is just my wife's daily the Koni's are more than enough and the car will likely be replaced a few years but the ride right now with the tein springs and 100k oem shocks is just terrible. Under $900 for suspension that is ready to install is worth it for me.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
I'm very happy with my Ksport. I'm running the Kpro which I ran for a full season last year of AutoX and DD. This year I used the same set-up for about 3.5 months before switching the rear only to their RR (Road Race) strut to run a higher spring rate.

Must companies you can run only a few +/- 1-2K higher then what the kit comes with. I went WAY higher and have had no issues. Stock kit came with F6.7K, R5.2K I went F8.5K, R10K. No i'm running F10k, R14K.

Yes there is better product the Ksport out there but for the time being it works very well at a great price. Next year I'm looking at going Penske!!!

Old 06-17-2015, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
Just another update. I should have my suspension Friday. Chris has really provided above and beyond service here. When he was assembling the suspension he was concerned that the swift springs were not sitting properly in the Koni oranges since they are technically made for the GE not the GD. He provided me with his thoughts and the options and ultimately decided to go with OEM shocks and Swift springs since the valving and everything is ver similar but no possible issues since the shocks are made for the GD. Can't wait to get them.

Quick Reply: Need Help With Coilovers for GD3