Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

GD3 here; just bought swift springs. What are the best struts to replace OEM?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 07:02 PM
GD3 here; just bought swift springs. What are the best struts to replace OEM?

Hey all, this is my first post since buying a (new to us) 2008 fit sport blaze orange!

I'm looking to tighten up and overall improve the handling of the car now. New tires/wheels will be put on spring of next year, but for now I'm looking to do the springs and struts.

I've purchased the swift springs, however have questions about which struts to match them with.. I'm wanting better than OEM quality, and not a shock/strut that will lower the car any more than the swift spring will. 2 days of the week I carry heavy-ish audio equipment in the car and do not want to rub or bottom out.

So to the point; which struts would you recommend? Kyb's?

Also, I've been reading up on the progress rear sway bar, and noticed some people mentioning the poor fitment with lowering springs. Do the swift/progress rsb have this issue as well?

I realize most of the info in the FitFreak Forums come from a decade ago, and I totally feel like a latecomer here. I appreciate any tips/advice you may have :-)!

Cheers,

Old 08-23-2017, 01:27 PM
I recently installed Koni Orange STR.T struts/shocks along with Eibach springs in my GE8 and I am extremely happy with the dampening performance and ride quality for what they are. Swift springs would only be that much better, so check out the Konis!

Old 08-23-2017, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
I do not have KYB's or swift springs, but figured I'd share the little knowledge I have...

KYB's are a good choice and one of the only choices. Koni doesn't have a fitment for our GD's.

We have the Progress RSB and I could not imagine being without it. The amount it helps in straight line tracking on the highway and reduction of understeer is amazing.

I'd take the Progress RSB and KYB's over the springs if it comes down to it. The RSB is that big of an improvement.

Back when we bought ours we were able to get a Panducky hardware kit that had upgraded hardware with lower profile bolts for the spring mounts. They are out of business, but you could probably visit your local Ace or fastener store and accomplish the same thing.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
I do not have KYB's or swift springs, but figured I'd share the little knowledge I have...

KYB's are a good choice and one of the only choices. Koni doesn't have a fitment for our GD's.

We have the Progress RSB and I could not imagine being without it. The amount it helps in straight line tracking on the highway and reduction of understeer is amazing.

I'd take the Progress RSB and KYB's over the springs if it comes down to it. The RSB is that big of an improvement.

Back when we bought ours we were able to get a Panducky hardware kit that had upgraded hardware with lower profile bolts for the spring mounts. They are out of business, but you could probably visit your local Ace or fastener store and accomplish the same thing.
TMYK! I'm used to Subarus where the parts are like legos and will often fit between platforms, let alone chassis codes.

OP, forgive ignore my ignorance of the GD3 chassis!

Old 08-23-2017, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT

How about
​rsb + kyb + Swift springs? Would that combination work?

Old 08-24-2017, 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by Kyle05STi
TMYK! I'm used to Subarus where the parts are like legos and will often fit between platforms, let alone chassis codes.

OP, forgive ignore my ignorance of the GD3 chassis!
Hey no worries! I am also in subie land as well. I have an 04 Forester xt which the majority of parts are swappable with 02-07 Impreza WRX and STI's! It's been a learning curve with the fit for sure :-)

Old 08-24-2017, 07:50 AM
5 Year Member
Pretty sure it will all work together.

My fuzzy memory tells me that that problem people were having is with the head of the bolt for the Progress bar making contact with the bottom of the springs and rubber isolators. I don't know why it would be a bigger problem with aftermarket springs vs factory. Maybe they sit slightly differently on the perch.

Regardless, the solution is to run bolts with lower profile heads. I would buy the kit and then find replacements for the bolts that are lower profile. Something like this:

Old 08-24-2017, 08:05 AM
5 Year Member
From what I read when I first got my fit the swift and H&R springs are pretty comparable I ended up getting the H&Rs since there was a slightly used set for sale local to me.

I have been running the H&Rs with KYBs for about 2 years and 100000kms now and they have been great.

They must have changed the supplied hardware with the progress RSB over the years. Picked one up last winter and it had pan head bolts with it.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by Mazubo
Hey no worries! I am also in subie land as well. I have an 04 Forester xt which the majority of parts are swappable with 02-07 Impreza WRX and STI's! It's been a learning curve with the fit for sure :-)
I love my Subarus but the Fit is a great little car. it's hauled my EJ257 in the spare tire well more than once

Old 08-25-2017, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by geopat
They must have changed the supplied hardware with the progress RSB over the years. Picked one up last winter and it had pan head bolts with it.
Yep. Same here.