General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

fit vs. truck. fits loses

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
fit vs. truck. fits loses

what does a fit that drives head-on into a truck look like?
answer: not so good.
YouTube - Crash on Route 125

related article
Man killed in two-car crash on Route 125 in Epping Monday

Old 04-15-2008, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
The laws of physics are still valid. Law Enforcement will claim 'speed' as primary cause but real reason was inciompetence by driver of either GMC or the Fit. Apparently one whipped out to pass and discovered then someting in his path he hadn't seen.
A good thought to keep in mind for Fit drivers: BIG SQUASHES LITTLE. Drive, don't talk on your cell. Or have detailed conversations with radio or passengers.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
dam what a waste of a base fit.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:24 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
It wasnt a base James. Get new eyeballs.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:25 PM
The fit didn't lose the the truck. It just never stood a chance. So technically the truck was cheating.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:51 PM
I just feel sorry for the guy in the Fit. It could have been any of us.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:04 PM
I'm a writer. I once interviewed a biologist at the National Zoo in Washington. In the past, he had worked at setting up tiger preserves in the Sundarbans in Bangladesh. Over there, it turns out, tigers are known as "forest policemen," and they kill more than 300 people a year. When I expressed horror at that, the biologist said, "It all depends on what you're prepared to accept as a risk. When you leave here, you'll get in your car and drive home. There's a risk that you will be killed in an accident. Most of us accept that risk. Cars are a part of life. In the Sundarbans, tigers are a part of life."

I think about that every now and then when I'm driving.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:06 PM
See, told ya the Truck would win. Pay up suckers.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:20 PM
i dont know if i want a fit anymore.........

Old 04-15-2008, 07:23 PM
Retired Moderator
Geez. Thats ugly. I hope the Fit driver survived.

Tyler

Old 04-15-2008, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
yea, big heavy truck vs. small plastic Fit
truck will win every time!
Unfortunate for the driver

Old 04-15-2008, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NEK FIT
I just feel sorry for the guy in the Fit. It could have been any of us.
curiously the guy driving the fit carried no drivers license or ID of any kind, and the car did not belong to him. maybe it was the dreaded "stolen fit."

Old 04-15-2008, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
To bad more detail is missing?

I see the driver door was ripped clear off in the wreck.
I wonder if the victim was ejected? That looks like it would of been the driver if that's the case. Wonder if he had his seat belts on?

When I bought mine, I was moving from a 3/4 ton Chevy Suburban. The one active thing I did was pick the Perl Blue as opposed to a color I'd rather have so it was more visible. I wanted white and the Yellow would of been cool but Honda denied that option....The '08 color I'd of picked but felt was less safe ws BLACK

Old 04-15-2008, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spin out
curiously the guy driving the fit carried no drivers license or ID of any kind, and the car did not belong to him. maybe it was the dreaded "stolen fit."
If it was stolen, I'd have to say Karma 1, Fit 0.

Remember that one in NY where the dudes burned to death in the stolen blue Fit? That was awesome.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:26 AM
Originally Posted by rjm161
If it was stolen, I'd have to say Karma 1, Fit 0.

Remember that one in NY where the dudes burned to death in the stolen blue Fit? That was awesome.
TEENS IN QNS. DEATH CRASH - New York Post

lol. why would someone steal a fit. i mean, i think fits are awesome... but i wouldnt steal one..

Old 04-16-2008, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
To bad more detail is missing?

I see the driver door was ripped clear off in the wreck.
I wonder if the victim was ejected? That looks like it would of been the driver if that's the case. Wonder if he had his seat belts on?
Doors aren't designed to fly off so its pretty rare and more common in roll overs. Need better pics of the wreck to see but it looks like it was torn of after the fact (jaws of life) to get the driver out. You can see a very clean slice on one of the frames which appears to be from a cutting tool. But again, just a guess.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:31 PM
It said it was versus a bestway disposal truck... double the mass... at least.

If you look at the damage, it looks like the fit hit the truck on the bed??? the front end of that truck would have been torn up... check the skidmarks.

The door was missing because it couldn't open, and the Jaws o' life were brought out.

While our cars will do well against other cars of the same weight, and equal or lesser crash test ratings... it doesn't mean hitting either an immovable object (also Jaws of life custom chop top) or a very large block of metal (a GMC Bestway Disposal truck) any car will do well.

I wonder how well a hummer would do against that brute... my guess... at least the damage would be in a lower location on the frame.

Last edited by alphaseinor; 04-16-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:53 PM
I bet that if it was a similar car from, say, 10-20 years ago instead of a Fit, the accident could have been a lot worse for the driver of the car.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by henryd1981
I bet that if it was a similar car from, say, 10-20 years ago instead of a Fit, the accident could have been a lot worse for the driver of the car.
Can't be any worse than dead. But what you will see from a car from 20 years ago would probably be the car looking less crushed, but the driver still being injured or killed by being bounced around inside the car (hitting the wheel, dashboard, etc). Older cars had very solid structures, problem is that included the interior. So if you hit the wheel or the dashboard, you're still gonna get hurt or killed. Today's cars are designed to crumple around you. The car sacrifices as best it can to save you. Back then the car didnt give a damn about you. (gf used to investigate car accidents for insurance folks, shes got all the stories lol)

Old 04-16-2008, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by FITrunner
Can't be any worse than dead. But what you will see from a car from 20 years ago would probably be the car looking less crushed, but the driver still being injured or killed by being bounced around inside the car (hitting the wheel, dashboard, etc). Older cars had very solid structures, problem is that included the interior. So if you hit the wheel or the dashboard, you're still gonna get hurt or killed. Today's cars are designed to crumple around you. The car sacrifices as best it can to save you. Back then the car didnt give a damn about you. (gf used to investigate car accidents for insurance folks, shes got all the stories lol)
I'm just thinking from what I've seen of offset crash tests on older cars. This accident seemed a bit offset, though I know there seem to be other variables involved in this case.

Some older cars did not fare well in offset crash tests. One of the worse cases would be the Chevrolet Astro:
IIHS-HLDI: Chevrolet Astro
Several more examples:
IIHS-HLDI: Chevrolet Cavalier
IIHS-HLDI: Mitsubishi Mirage

I know this goes a bit off-topic, but I was just showing my line of thinking, hehe.

Quick Reply: fit vs. truck. fits loses