General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Thank God I Bought The Base!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Thank God I Bought The Base!!

I live in Tampa Fl and pay CASH for all my cars. I refuse to pay finance charges. I was wanting the S but thankfully bought the base. After getting home, finding out the cost of Weathertech mats, window tinting (a must in Florida), then the cost to install my satellite radio, hardwire my V1 Radar detector, and other incidentals blew my mind! If I bought the S I would have been SCREWED!!

Old 07-17-2008, 03:13 PM
I <3 SPOON
5 Year Member
well good for you

Old 07-17-2008, 04:54 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GD3-Fit
well good for you
lol

Old 07-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Can't wait for the next thread...

"WTB: Sport Bumpers, Suspension, Wheels, ETC."

Just kidding, enjoy the car!

Old 07-17-2008, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
.. and fog lamps!

Old 07-17-2008, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by SlavetotheHonda
Blah blah blah blah blah...I would have been SCREWED!!
Holy cow, you're right man! I think I'm going to strip off all the Sport-specific equipment from my Fit so nobody thinks I'm an idiot.

Aw crap!, that won't work because BOM is a Sport only color.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:58 PM
Retired Moderator
Well congratz man! Happy to hear you are happy with your purchase.

Tyler

Old 07-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Why would you have been screwed?

Old 07-17-2008, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
I'm confused... if you bought the Sport, you wouldn't have had enough money to get the mods you want? Why not just get the Sport that you were wanting and save for a month or so then buy all the mods? I'm not seeing the logic in this.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by Arisenfury
I'm not seeing the logic in this.
Considering this is the 3rd thread by the guy about base vs. sport it appears he is wanting to validate his purchase. It is completely normal (IMO) to go through that stage of buyers remorse after a big purchase. Commonly guys like to use public forums to validate their particular choices involved in that decision including model/ color/ package/ model year/ price/ etc. and as many have seen this spreads over into things such as tires/ engine mods/ etc.

Congrats on your purchase decision SlavetotheHonda, I am happy to see that you can now enjoy your new Fit!

Old 07-17-2008, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
while he still wants the sport...

Old 07-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
I dont like driving the base. Ive driven a few, I can feel the difference. The steering wheel and OEM knob just make me.... feel basic.

Sorry to the base owners. ILY your front bumpers!

Old 07-17-2008, 10:36 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by I Am Ray.
IThe steering wheel and OEM knob just make me.... feel basic.
Do you mean, un-Sport-y?

Old 07-17-2008, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ProMed
Considering this is the 3rd thread by the guy about base vs. sport it appears he is wanting to validate his purchase. It is completely normal (IMO) to go through that stage of buyers remorse after a big purchase. Commonly guys like to use public forums to validate their particular choices involved in that decision including model/ color/ package/ model year/ price/ etc. and as many have seen this spreads over into things such as tires/ engine mods/ etc.

Congrats on your purchase decision SlavetotheHonda, I am happy to see that you can now enjoy your new Fit!
I can understand him wanting to validate his purchase, and I've seen his other threads so far. But he clearly states he initially wanted the Sport, settled for a Base and is now happy he went with the Base after seeing how much his mods will cost him. Just doesn't make sense. Why would you give up something you wanted for something less than what you wanted? Especially when you could get the Sport and physically have it, then just wait a little longer while enjoying the Sport that you wanted and then get your mods after you've saved up a little more.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:59 PM
I like my orange car because it has alloy wheels and I can plug my iPod into it.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
IMO the price difference between the sport and base is a nice deal for the sexy "bodykit" and little electric touches/extras But if the base works for you...more to ya then

Old 07-17-2008, 11:02 PM
There's another thread running along with this one titled "Who regrets not buying the S and is over 35?" Seems like this guy is trying to "validate" as well. Below is my response to that thread posted a few days ago. Do we really need to segment the members of this site into two groups of purchase decisions? The car is great, get what you want and have fun!

"I'm way old, but young at heart. Got the MT base 3 weeks ago. I like ground effects and spoilers on F1 cars but not mine. Pulled the OEM steelies and saved 6.5 lbs per corner with new 15" Konig Heliums and Yokohoma S Drives. (Shaved the rear bumper cover plastic mounting in the wheel well to eliminate rubbing.)

Saved 40 lbs of the Sport add ons. I like unsprung weight savings and power to weight ratios.

The car is great! 66.7 slalom speed, .87 lateral G's. 0-60 in 8.6. I've got 700 miles on it. The break in is done, the mold lube is off of the tires, and now I can really drive it.

Got 31.5 in town on the first tank and 35.0 highway on the second. Life is good. This is a great site, thanks to all!"

Old 07-18-2008, 07:56 AM
Quite Simple

The vast majority of owners are not using their cars as I do. BASIC TRANSPORTATION. I rack up over 30K a year. I paid cash for the car. If I financed it's a no brainer but after paying cash I now have to fork out roughly $500-$600 in necessities like installation of my nav, weathertech floor mats, Valentine 1 radar detector etc. It is very easy for people who FINANCE to think the base is not a wise choice. If I were paying finance charges then the small amount extra for the S is well worth it. Not in my case. My tires are less expensive and at 30K a year I buy tires. My car sits outside in the Florida weather. My 2 HONDA jet ski's are in the garage. So for people like me the BASE is a NO BRAINER. I could care less about modifying this car, I have owned a 911, Boxster, Audi S4, Mini Cooper, S2000. I wised up and bought a car that allows me to buy other toys like my 24K in Jet Ski's. Now what would you prefer? Putting your money towards fun toys like Jet Ski's or a spoiler and cruise control?

Old 07-18-2008, 08:15 AM
cool out!

The vast majority of owners are not using their cars as I do. BASIC TRANSPORTATION. I rack up over 30K a year. I paid cash for the car.
I guess everyone wants to defend THEIR purchase. It's natural. I bought my sport with cash just like you did. Initially I wanted a base but weighed the options, like cruise, and chose the sport. BOTH the base and sport are fine automobiles. If you had been a bit more diplomatic in your muted "base is better than sport" message then perhaps the responders would have been kinder as well.I've been guilty of the "defend my choice" aggressive post but have tried to soften my approach. Basically a "kinder gentler fitfreak". Good luck with your base fit. It's a fine choice!

Old 07-18-2008, 08:45 AM
The vast majority of owners are not using their cars as I do. BASIC TRANSPORTATION. I rack up over 30K a year. I paid cash for the car. If I financed it's a no brainer but after paying cash I now have to fork out roughly $500-$600 in necessities like installation of my nav, weathertech floor mats, Valentine 1 radar detector etc. It is very easy for people who FINANCE to think the base is not a wise choice. If I were paying finance charges then the small amount extra for the S is well worth it. Not in my case. My tires are less expensive and at 30K a year I buy tires. My car sits outside in the Florida weather. My 2 HONDA jet ski's are in the garage. So for people like me the BASE is a NO BRAINER. I could care less about modifying this car, I have owned a 911, Boxster, Audi S4, Mini Cooper, S2000. I wised up and bought a car that allows me to buy other toys like my 24K in Jet Ski's. Now what would you prefer? Putting your money towards fun toys like Jet Ski's or a spoiler and cruise control?
Ok. I have never financed a car, and will not finance the 09 Fit Sport when it is available. The car will be almost strictly for use with my business at ~200 miles per day and that alone is reason enough for me to want the cruise control available in the sport. You also have to keep in mind that the Sport will also have a slightly higher resale value when it is sold in the future, which will offset some of that small upfront cost.
It is a little odd that you probably paid close to the same amount for one of your Jet Ski's as the Honda Fit and are trying to validate this as a reason to not buy the Sport, but I guess we all have different ways of validate our own purchases which is cool.
I certainly understand about buying toys, being that I am an amateur motocross racer while also owning a Super Air Nautique 220 and Honda F-12x GPScape for tearing up the lake!

Quick Reply: Thank God I Bought The Base!!