Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

25mm spacers on rear

Old 03-10-2008, 10:15 AM
25mm spacers on rear

I have a chance to buy H&R wheel spacers, like these http://www.kingmotorsports.com/category.aspx?cat=14 # 5024561

I would put them on the rear only - any advice or comments before the cash changes hands?

I have 14" stock rims and 195/60R14 tires, and it looks like there's room to go out an inch.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:13 PM
I would advise against it... running spacers up front would be the wise choice, and only if you really need it because of a low offset wheel. If you add them to the back, you will most likely start rubbing on dips and potholes, and if you have rear passengers, forget about it.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Interesting the vote for the front over the rear, thanks.

Without considering rubbing, just thinking about handling, would they go better on the front or the rear?

Old 03-10-2008, 12:59 PM
Well, I use 15mm up front only because I had to. my Watanabes are lower offset than the Fit brakes can clear... But since the car is FF it makes more sense to have them up front. I bought an extra set for the rear, so they would match visually. it didnt need them because there is nothing to clear in the back. Once they were on, the car would rub like crazy... the suspension in the rear is much softer on our cars. if you have had passengers the back, you know what I mean. I decided to take them because they weren't necessary. You can barely tell my front wheels are spaced out. But if you do 25mm, it will be more noticable. I can't honestly say if having wide track stance up front will improve handling.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:59 PM
Hmmm... I suppose it could be fair to say the spacers should be up front when entering a curve, but they would work better on the back when exiting... dang! Now I need 2 more spacers so I can put them on all four!!!

Would FWD play a part in where to put 2 spacers? AFAIK, they help with handling not traction. You reckon they would help stop the front wheels from spinning out when you accelerate out of a curve?

Old 03-10-2008, 02:03 PM
Like I said man... I put them up front because I had to... I wouldn't have otherwise. I can't say one way or another if it improved my handling. Sorry.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:06 PM
I know bud, I'm just thinking out loud - don't think anyone has a definitive answer. I'd ask to buy your 15mm you took off, if you still have them, but I'm pretty far away and so it wouldn't work too easy.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:10 PM
I don't think they would work for you unless you had aftermarket wheels. Aftermarket wheels come with cutouts in the back of the wheel. When using a 15mm spacer, you need these cutouts for the stock wheel bolts to rest in. The spacer fits over these bolts and come with new bolts attached to them. Dang, not sure I explained that right.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:35 PM
I think I understand it has something to do with hubcentric wheels - doesn't matter. For me it's because a club member is selling them for a good price, and I would like the handling improvement a wider stance should make.

The best improvementin handling to date ha sbeen the Weapon-R rear strut cage - big difference!

And IMO, for the Jazz/Fit, it will never go that fast with 100HP, so the area to aim for in tuning is handling.

I appreciate your comments, bud - thanks. I suppose I'll try them both front and back, and see what difference.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
If you installed a 1in (25mm) spacer on the rear only the car wont look that good. The rears will either be flush or stick out and the fronts will be sucked in.

1in bolt on spacers dont require cutting or filing down the OEM wheel studs. Anything smaller does. Adding anything higher than 5mm spacers requires extended wheel studs normally.

What is the offset on the factory wheels? Whatever the offset is you subtract the spacer MM.

(OEM wheel)50mm - (Spacer)25mm = Overall 25mm offset.

Originally Posted by Jack Burton
my Watanabes are lower offset than the Fit brakes can clear...
You mean higher offset? Lower would push the wheels out, clearing the brakes.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
Adding anything higher than 5mm spacers requires extended wheel studs normally.
thnx for clearing that up for me, i just bought 5mm spacers for my EK because the rear control arms wouldn't clear my stock fit wheels. They were like 1mm off but i ordered the 5mm just 2 be sure. They are custom 5mm spacers for the back and i was worried i would have 2 replace the wheel studs (like in H&R's kits).

Old 03-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by koolkevin1107
thnx for clearing that up for me, i just bought 5mm spacers for my EK because the rear control arms wouldn't clear my stock fit wheels. They were like 1mm off but i ordered the 5mm just 2 be sure. They are custom 5mm spacers for the back and i was worried i would have 2 replace the wheel studs (like in H&R's kits).
Stupid high offset wheels!
From what Ive done myself 5mm is the limit on OEM studs. Youre suppose to have a certain number of turns on the lug itself to be "safe" and 5mm just passes it.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
are you serious? using spacer to pimped out the stock steel wheels?

above:

yes i can back this up, 5mm is the max for oem stud, I also run 5mm at front to clear the caliper.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:39 PM
Sure buddy, it's my car I do what want. Plenty of cars have wider wheels on the back. I think it'll look ok - but what I really want is wider stance for better handling.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member
dude, putting them up front would be more beneficial to your handling.

and :jack burton: i think you mean too HIGH offset.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:10 AM
5 Year Member
There won't be a difference. Period. Don't waste your money.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:29 AM
Front or rear, I'm not sure - guess I'll try both. I do know installing the Weapon-R rear strut cage made a phenomenal difference in tightening up the handling. And also going wider by only 2cm for tires also made a big difference - only 2cm! From 175 to 195, even kept the Aspec Yoko same model, same tread, etc.

As for making no difference I guess I'll find out as well; though intuitively if it's wider it should track better.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by prossett
Front or rear, I'm not sure - guess I'll try both. I do know installing the Weapon-R rear strut cage made a phenomenal difference in tightening up the handling. And also going wider by only 2cm for tires also made a big difference - only 2cm! From 175 to 195, even kept the Aspec Yoko same model, same tread, etc.

As for making no difference I guess I'll find out as well; though intuitively if it's wider it should track better.
Why put on some spacers when you can buy wheels that are even wider. Like you said going from 175 to 195 made a night and day difference, if you put those spacers on you won't be able to run a 205 because your wheels are sticking out to much. Anyways its up to you, but if you want better handling forget the spacers and get some 205 tires and lightweight rims.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:56 AM
That's good advice, thanks.

Some time back I went through the lightweight rims and wider tires idea but it turned out that the stock alloy 14" rims weigh less than expensive 15" rims which would have been needed because 14" wide tires are not sold where I live - plus I saved enough to get Weapon-R headers and both front and rear struts as well as wider tires on my original rims.

Now I got these spacers coming at me cheap - I know if I were serious I would get coil-overs, but again the difference is between 50 bucks and 2,000!

I live in a town that is the roundabout capital of the world; every intersection is a traffic circle - not kidding, either, and so fast curves is where I get my kicks (which is why I got the Jazz/Fit in the first place: I rule those roundabouts, guys!!! )

Anyone care to vote for front or rear? Today I tried feeling where the difference would be, but it's really down to front on the entry into the curve, but rear on the way out...

Old 03-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Again, what offset and size and width wheels do you currently have?
Also, wide 14in tires are not easy to find without getting tall side walls. Taller side walls result in poor handling. Believe me, I know as Ive ran 14in wheels on my Fit.

The best tire size I found for 14's were 225/50 (45?) but they were competition tires. Those wont last on the street. And due to how sticky they get your MPG would probably suffer also.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 25mm spacers on rear