Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

Falken ziex 912 Review (first impressions)

Old 07-28-2008, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
Falken ziex 912 Review (first impressions)

Well, they got here on saturday. Ran over to discount tire and got em slapped on.

I dunno about you guys, but i kinda don't like reading tire reviews that only have a few miles logged on the actual tire, but act like they tire has been tried through and through.

so i'll come out and say it: i've only logged about 150 miles on them, hence, why this is a first impressions review.

First off, this is a super quiet tire. highway cruising is very serene now and it gives the fit a much higher class feel. very smooth, bumps have been softened and there is virtually no roadnoise.

granted, this will probably change as the tire wears, but the stock dunlops were no where NEAR this quiet, even when they were brand new.

The added grip is a welcome addition. This is another thing the stock tire couldn't pull off even when it was new. handling is buttery smooth, and my limits are much higher than where they were before. (i've had lots of windy NC roads to test em on. )

the price was perfect, and imo, there is no reason to lay down the dough on a more expensive (or at the very least similarly priced) kuhmo when you can get this.

I'll update every few thousand miles and let everyone know how they have been. This tire seems to be a common choice for fit drivers, hence why i'm giving my input.

I believe kenchan told me that they don't grip so well in under 40 degree weather, which i'm not horribly concerned about, as every tire has a tradeoff. i've also heard that grip is poor for an all season tire in the snow, but i'll be lucky to drive around in slush if the last couple years are indicative of how NC's weather is going to be from now on, at least round my parts.

all in all, a great, smooth, and quiet tire, that makes little compromises in the fun dept. these get my thumbs up, yo.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:11 PM
thats good to hear...i have the 512's and they ride like ass.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jeffquach
thats good to hear...i have the 512's and they ride like ass.

damn jeff, you are a quick reader!

its funny that you mention that, i saw in your pic thread that you were rocking falkens too.

these are supposed to 'replace' the 512, but from what i understand, that is a more aggressive tire, despite the 'all season' labeling it has gotten.

most of the reviews i have read were by ex 512 owners that were suprised at the quietness, thinking it was a direct replacement, when its a different beast all together.

put these on your short list for next time man, i knew they would be quiet, but not THIS quiet.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:15 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
I had the 512's on my Mazda years ago. They lasted 6 months for me.
And they looked all tiny. I was so pissed I bought the tires.

Ive actually heard the 912's arent any better.

Glad you like the tires Daino.
Everyones different.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
What do you rock Senor Ray?

Old 07-29-2008, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by I Am Ray.
I had the 512's on my Mazda years ago. They lasted 6 months for me.
And they looked all tiny. I was so pissed I bought the tires.

Ive actually heard the 912's arent any better.

Glad you like the tires Daino.
Everyones different.

thanks man. i'm suprised that you have heard that about the 912's....i dunno. i consider myself a bit of a tire guru, one that doesn't know much.

if you look at the tread design on the 512's and on the 912's, there is a huge difference. the treadwear rating is different as well, as is their mileage warranty.

UPDATE: this is kinda soon, and no doubt partially due to the fact that they are new, but we just had a HORRENDOUS thunderstorm here in nc and the falkens handled it like a true champ! no hydroplaining whatsoever. and this was BAD guys, probably the worst storm i've ever driven in. sequential lightning, only about 40ft visibility and the rain felt (sounded?) like hail.

but i felt a-very safe!

Old 12-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Would love to hear your "every thousand miles" update

Old 12-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by kai-wun
The first post was July of 08.

The 912 is a great tire for the money. It is very affordable and great for daily driving. I've driven with the falken ziex312, 502, 512, and 912. The improvement going from 512 to 912 was huge, but like always the more the tires wear the crappier they become. I usually got around 10-15k miles out of each set because of the way the suspension is set up on my cars. The last set of 912's I drove on wore out very evenly after 6k miles.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:32 PM
how well do they stretch?

Old 12-10-2009, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by evamph21
how well do they stretch?
The FK452 is more ideal for stretching. I've never tried a stretch 912, but then again I probably would never want to.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by kai-wun
I second that motion.