Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

Pin size hole

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 08:05 PM
tin
5 Year Member
Pin size hole

I think one of my tires have a pin size hole. The TPMS light came on today after ~200 miles or so of driving, I checked all the tires and one of them was at ~20 PSI. I inflated the tire and the light went off (didn't even have to drive it, now I know it works!).

Is something like that fixable? Should I bring this into a tire shop or the dealer?

I took it into the dealer for an oil change and tire rotation a day ago and when the guy took my car out and parked it for me, I saw him drive that same wheel into the curb. I don't know if that was what caused it, it was already low to being with, or did I put a nail in it along the way today. I'll also check it for nails later, I don't hear any clicking, but maybe it's a nail.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
get a bottle of soapy water and spray it down. check the entire tire, where it meets the rim, and also the valve stem/ core. or you could just take it to the dealer or discount and have it inspected/repaired for usually less than $20 bucks.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:37 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Take it in and tell them you have a slow leak. You already know the tire. It can be anything from an actual nail to the TPMS sensor leaking.

I know when I worked at Dodge/Jeep sometimes people would have slow leaks. Once we dipped the wheels in water the sensor was the leak. A sensor leak you can fix. Matter of tightening it down.
Dont over tighten it.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:08 AM
tin
5 Year Member
It's some kind of blade.

It's not a slow leak after all. I checked the tire after having it parked for 2 hours, and it was flat. Good thing I happen to have a full size spare with me (for my road trip), so I just changed it out and went on my way, best money I ever spent.

I can't even figure out how it got in there, but it appears to be some kind of blade, not a nail. I'm running the full size spare so I'm good for now, but the TPMS warning light is on, and I would like to put the old one back so TPMS would work properly. Pictures below, anyone know if this is repairable? Dealer or tire repair shop? I'm gonna call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
Damn, good thing you were not going down the highway and it decided to blow out.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
assuming you didn't damage the side wall from driving with it low, I don't see it being a problem to repair.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:27 AM
tin
5 Year Member
Do you guys recommend going to the dealer or a tire repair place?

I've read some people here say a tire repair place broke their TPMS, and I really don't need to spend another $150 on a new TPMS. But I also don't want to get ripped off at a dealer. Plus, they said I have to bring my car in too, they can't just fix the tire.

Think it's safe to warn the tire repair place of the TPMS? I mean since 2008 vehicles all have TPMS they can't possibly be breaking everyone that they get.

Sorry, this is all new to me. The last time I got a flat I just used a can of slime, but that was an old car and I didn't drive it much.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
check out tirerack's installer recommedations in your area and give them a try.

www.tirerack.com

Old 10-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by tin

Sorry, this is all new to me. The last time I got a flat I just used a can of slime, but that was an old car and I didn't drive it much.
DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT put fix-a-flat or any slime in this tire. You have air sensors and you will make a costly mistake. Looking at the object it is hard to say, have them take it off the rim and if the puncture is less than 1/4" dia then it is repairable to RMA (rubber manufacturer association) standards. I do not know any facilities in New York or I would recommend one for you......

Old 10-06-2008, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
Just replace it. Safer

Old 10-07-2008, 12:20 AM
tin
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by User Name
DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT put fix-a-flat or any slime in this tire. You have air sensors and you will make a costly mistake. Looking at the object it is hard to say, have them take it off the rim and if the puncture is less than 1/4" dia then it is repairable to RMA (rubber manufacturer association) standards. I do not know any facilities in New York or I would recommend one for you......
Yea, I saw a thread about this, so I know not to use the slime. That was on an old car and old tires, I think I replaced all the tires the next year.

I just dropped the wheel off at my friend's place, he's going to take it to a tire repair shop on Wed and have it looked at (I don't have time). The dealer is a no go since they said they don't patch, just plug (and the guy was like "yea, I guess" when I asked) so I figure they would just look at it and tell me I need a new tire without really inspecting it.

I'm still wondering if I should get it replaced. I have an extra set of stock rims with tires, and I already have one on now (the full size spare), so technically I don't really need to get it fixed. I still have three un-used good ones (more full size spares) in the garage.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:31 AM
If you have three more then just scrap the tire.....