Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

Ok to use Stock Lug Nuts on Konig wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 03:48 PM
Ok to use Stock Lug Nuts on Konig wheel?

I had 15' Konig Heliums installed yesterday, they installed it with oem lugs, I asked if they had tuner lugs they said it wasnt needed. Thought I read somewhere that it wasnt safe to use, just cant find that thread again. Just want to confirm before I buy aftermarket lugs?

Old 06-30-2010, 03:52 PM
Banned
stock + aftermarket wheels is a no go

but it doesn't matter your wheels will bend before anything happens with the lug nuts :/

Old 06-30-2010, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gbaby2089
but it doesn't matter your wheels will bend before anything happens with the lug nuts :/
^ Blasphemy. If you bend a rim period you would have to be doing something completely retarded to have that happen.

He is right about the lugs though. The lugs have a certain taper where they make contact with the wheel. If I recall correctly one type has a rounded contact area and the other has a flat angled contact area. Which one it is, I do not remember. I'm looking that up right now to find out myself.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
^ Blasphemy. If you bend a rim period you would have to be doing something completely retarded to have that happen.

He is right about the lugs though. The lugs have a certain taper where they make contact with the wheel. If I recall correctly one type has a rounded contact area and the other has a flat angled contact area. Which one it is, I do not remember. I'm looking that up right now to find out myself.
pretty sure hes just going off about konigs/replica wheels

Old 06-30-2010, 04:27 PM
Banned

nope.....

I shall show you
Name:  15234294149.jpg
Views: 1622
Size:  53.4 KB
Name:  15234363525.jpg
Views: 1419
Size:  45.6 KB

"i had to buy six of them as they kept bending and i had to kleep replacing/fixing them"

this guy babies his car........sees the road like 5 times a year

Old 06-30-2010, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
Bah, I can't find any factory Honda Lugs around the house or internet to show you so this should suffice.

Honda's factory wheels are designed for radius seated (AKA ball seat) lug nuts. Using those lugs on an aftermarket rim (which typically are designed for cone/tapered seats) is not a good idea because of the reduced surface contact. So, whenever the lug nut is being torqued it can either break the stud or loosen as you drive.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
That wheel has damage from an impact.

Ive had 3 sets of Rotas that were driven daily and when I sold them they looked exactly as they did when I bought them. They were driven hard on the street and raced some weekends. This was 3 different sets over 10 years.

One of my best friends also has a set...and he has a highly modded EP...no problem in sight...autox and street "fun"

I also had Enkei's once and they held up similarly but were heavier and more expensive.

I hung out with many tuners every weekend and have never seen a first hand account of a Rota rim failing only rumors and internet pics.

I even had a wreck with the set of gt3's where my car went over a curb at a high rate of speed and the rim didnt even bend. It was scraped from contact of the curb but 6k of damage and none of it from the Rotas.

Last edited by Btrthnezr3; 06-30-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
nope.....

I shall show you

"i had to buy six of them as they kept bending and i had to kleep replacing/fixing them"

this guy babies his car........sees the road like 5 times a year
Dude may baby his car, but it looks like he nailed a nice sized pot hole in the first picture.

Have you seen this person drive the car or the roads the person drive on personally? (Not attacking you by the way, just trying to get clarification)

The reason I ask that is because I drive like a stoned ass on back roads when no one is around with my Konig Quizs and have yet have any bending what so ever.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:47 PM
Banned
Dude may baby his car, but it looks like he nailed a nice sized pot hole in the first picture.

Have you seen this person drive the car or the roads the person drive on personally? (Not attacking you by the way, just trying to get clarification)

The reason I ask that is because I drive like a stoned ass on back roads when no one is around with my Konig Quizs and have yet have any bending what so ever.
Nope

Although I will gladly assume I see much worse up here.......

Old 06-30-2010, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
Nope

Although I will gladly assume I see much worse up here.......
Ah, well we can't really say much then because neither of us had witnessed the person's driving first hand. It could be true or it could be a cover up story. Sort of like the dude here in Texas that drove a Bugatti Veyron into a lake while talking on the cell phone. Dude claimed he was dodging a bird, a video says other wise.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:05 PM
Banned
Ah, well we can't really say much then because neither of us had witnessed the person's driving first hand. It could be true or it could be a cover up story. Sort of like the dude here in Texas that drove a Bugatti Veyron into a lake while talking on the cell phone. Dude claimed he was dodging a bird, a video says other wise.
Well I can't assume him driving to crazy...considering this is his car

Name:  MOD08a2.jpg
Views: 1797
Size:  76.1 KB

Real Wheels > all

Old 06-30-2010, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
Well I can't assume him driving to crazy...considering this is his car

Real Wheels > all
Yeah, until a budget is involved and then you can get what you can afford.

But in all honesty, a brand name solely does not mean that the item is going to be top notch quality, more or less like unit consistency. Its all about their standards involving the building process, inspection, and testing.

If company "A" just simply produces their wheels in a casting process without any sort of destructive (bend test) or nondestructive (X-ray) testing, paint them, and ship them. They would be supplying products of unknown structural integrity and consistency as well as putting the consumer's well being and the company's name and reputation at risk.

If company "B" uses the same production process but performs nondestructive tests on all production wheels and a periodic destructive test after X amount of units are made and/or different batch of metal is used. They would of course have a much more knowledge of their product's integrity, consistency, and have a better reputation.

Even with all that said, there are also the factors of the road's condition, the tire's sidewall thickness, vehicle weight, yata-yata-yata, blah-blah-blah, yackity smackity. There is just so many different variables that could cause a rim by any company to bend.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:27 PM
Banned
there are also different qualities of materials

also, sorry but I've always hated when people mention budgets....that's a load of shit

The used wheel market is huge...and nice wheels can be found for the same price as garbage

Old 06-30-2010, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
That too is a variable and a very critical variable at that.

And you are of course entitled to your opinion regarding budgets. However, even buying quality aftermarket wheels has some of its own risks.

Could the rim still be in mint condition after driving X miles? Sure.

Could a very small, imperfection that is deemed safe by the manufacture allow a hairline fracture which slowly grows and weaken the rim's integrity? Possibly. (This happened on an uncle's OEM wheel for an E60 530I and it allowed a slow air leak)

Could a freshly repainted or custom painted rim be refinished/repaired and claimed otherwise? Yeah. (Not aiming this at anyone, just trying to reach a point)

The buyer could potentially be buying an item(s) that may no longer meet the manufacture's requirements when it was new. The same goes for replicas and the real counterpart's requirements. Either way, it is still a gamble.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:29 PM
Banned
That too is a variable and a very critical variable at that.

And you are of course entitled to your opinion regarding budgets. However, even buying quality aftermarket wheels has some of its own risks.

Could the rim still be in mint condition after driving X miles? Sure.

Could a very small, imperfection that is deemed safe by the manufacture allow a hairline fracture which slowly grows and weaken the rim's integrity? Possibly. (This happened on an uncle's OEM wheel for an E60 530I and it allowed a slow air leak)

Could a freshly repainted or custom painted rim be refinished/repaired and claimed otherwise? Yeah. (Not aiming this at anyone, just trying to reach a point)

The buyer could potentially be buying an item(s) that may no longer meet the manufacture's requirements when it was new. The same goes for replicas and the real counterpart's requirements. Either way, it is still a gamble.
that's why you inspect whee, before you buy them?

Old 06-30-2010, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
Did you strip your previous rims down to bare metal prior to buying to check for imperfections?

Old 06-30-2010, 09:23 PM
Banned
Did you strip your previous rims down to bare metal prior to buying to check for imperfections?
Nope, but I'm willing to take my chances with a forged wheel that retails for more than what my car is worth

Old 07-15-2010, 12:11 PM

Old 07-15-2010, 01:33 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Zackk
one on the right looks fake, plus those things are beat to shit anyway...I feel sorry for em

Old 05-23-2011, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
Was reading this thread to learn about lug nut design, glad gbaby is gone, nothing of value was lost.

Quick Reply: Ok to use Stock Lug Nuts on Konig wheel?