Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

Michelin Energy Saver A/S, Avid Ascend, or General Altimax HP??

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
Michelin Energy Saver A/S, Avid Ascend, or General Altimax HP??

Time for new tires on my base model! I'm looking at these 3, but I'm open to other suggestions. I've done the research, but I'd like real-world feedback. Thanks!

Old 10-15-2013, 06:03 PM
Banned
I bought a different Michelin tire, glad that I did. But I look more for performance and traction on wet/dry mountain driving than I do for fuel economy. Here's a link to my thread:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...uy-costco.html

Good luck with whatever you buy!

Old 10-15-2013, 06:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Triskelion
I bought a different Michelin tire, glad that I did. But I look more for performance and traction on wet/dry mountain driving than I do for fuel economy. Here's a link to my thread:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...uy-costco.html

Good luck with whatever you buy!
I've looked at those, too. The Michelin site says they come in 175/65R15. No Costco here, but I ccould get them from my local store. I also do alot of mountain driving here in WNC----what's your long-term review as far as traction and wear? Have you noticed much of an mpg drop? I do care about fuel economy, but traction and safety rank just as high.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:15 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by littleblackcar
I've looked at those, too. The Michelin site says they come in 175/65R15. No Costco here, but I ccould get them from my local store. I also do alot of mountain driving here in WNC----what's your long-term review as far as traction and wear? Have you noticed much of an mpg drop? I do care about fuel economy, but traction and safety rank just as high.
Sorry man, only about 25 miles on the tires since they were installed last week- can't write paragraphs of glowing review. But my experience with Michelin on half a dozen cars, trucks and SUV's has shown that their warranties and descriptions of their tires are extremely reliable. If Michelin describes their tire as "ultimate performance" with specs showing shorter wet pavement stopping distance than their main competitors, that's what I want. I do not expect the slightest disappointment with my purchase. But, I am a member of the Michelin cult. You may not be.

In buying tires since the '60s, I have found that you NEVER regret buying the best. But what "the best" is depends on your own beliefs based on experience, not based on advertising claims. I have never experienced disappointment in any Michelin tire. That statement is completely not true for Firestone, Dunlop, Goodyear, Armstrong (boy, were their kevlar cord off-road tires garbage!) Uniroyal, and several other name brands. But I have no experience with dozens of other tire brands that have come on the market over the last 20 years. Michelin has earned my respect and loyalty.

However, all that aside, the name "Energy Saver" from any tire brand suggests to me low rolling resistance which I assume to mean harder tread rubber, and less flexible sidewalls, translating into less handling responsiveness. That may be totally wrong (Michelin is the maker, after all). If you do buy that type of tire, I will certainly be interested in your own experience with them and your forums comments. Good luck!

Last edited by Triskelion; 10-15-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
I decided to go with standard size Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. Hopefully I won't take too much of a hit on fuel economy, but I'll report back with a review after I've put some miles on the tires!