Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

Axis OG wheels? Rubbing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 11:09 PM
Axis OG wheels? Rubbing?

(I have a 2008 honda fit base) I've never had aftermarket wheels on any car I've owned, but I'm considering getting some with summer tires and keeping the stock ones with the winter tires I have on now.
Anyway, I have a few questions someone can hopefully answer.

I wanted to get these:

Now my concern is rubbing. I want to keep the stock suspension and ride height. They're also wider, being 15x7. I'm wondering will they rub over bumps, or when I'm turning sharply? When I order them from tire rack or wherever, can I just throw them on when I get them? Do I need some sort of spacers or something?

Last edited by fr8train; 02-19-2015 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:15 AM
Read up on this:
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=101

Also Tirerack has those on clearance for $99 each and you can see what it looks like on your Fit using their web page. The Axis OG will fit that you selected though personally I would opt for 205/50-15 tires with that offset and width.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:33 AM
Originally Posted by gd3~fit
The Axis OG will fit that you selected though personally I would opt for 205/50-15 tires with that offset and width.
Why? Thanks for the info btw

Old 02-20-2015, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fr8train
(I have a 2008 honda fit base) I've never had aftermarket wheels on any car I've owned, but I'm considering getting some with summer tires and keeping the stock ones with the winter tires I have on now.
Anyway, I have a few questions someone can hopefully answer.

I wanted to get these:

Now my concern is rubbing. I want to keep the stock suspension and ride height. They're also wider, being 15x7. I'm wondering will they rub over bumps, or when I'm turning sharply? When I order them from tire rack or wherever, can I just throw them on when I get them? Do I need some sort of spacers or something?

these are NOT recommended. The OEM specification from Honda for the offset of the wheels is 53 to 54 mm, meaning how far the car hub is pushed into the wheel past the center of thre wheel. thats all into the wheel from the back and why the back space is 5.354". the tire is mounted on the wheel such that its centerline is half thr rim width, or 7/2 = 3.5" when the hub pushes 35 mm into the wheel the backspace is 3.5 + 35/25.4 " plus the rim edge of 1/2" is 5.37". when the offset is reduced from 53 to 35 the wheel is pushed out by (53-35)/25.4 or 0.7708 inches/
when 195/55x15 tires are pushed out from the wheel hub by virtually 3/4" there is almost certainly going to be interference betwee the fender well and the tire tread.
you should choose a wheel with an offset of not less than 45 mm to be safe with tires the same diameter as the oem tire. If you must have an offset less than 45 mm expect smaller diameter tires or fender rework.
whew. complicated enough? there are numerous drawings on line, including tirerack.com
try 15x7 wheels with 45mm offset for your 195/55x15 tires. and be careful whose tires you choose; increasing the weight of the tirtes by a couple of pounds will assault your mpg's and acceleration.
good luck.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
complicated enough? there are numerous drawings on line, including tirerack.com
try 15x7 wheels with 45mm offset for your 195/55x15 tires. and be careful whose tires you choose; increasing the weight of the tirtes by a couple of pounds will assault your mpg's and acceleration.
good luck.
haha it is, thanks for the detailed write up.

What about these?
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

Front and Rear

Would stock sized tires work on these? From the stock rims that is. I still have my all seasons I could probably use for at least one more summer. These are 14in like the stock wheels, but I don't know the exact size of the tires I have as I'm not at home at the moment (I guess they're 175/65R14, which is the recommended size for the Anzio Turn, though the offset is different), though I think stock is 14x5.5 not 5., the offset is 45mm like you recommend.

These are 14x5.5 but their offset is only 40mm:

Last edited by fr8train; 02-20-2015 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
haha it is, thanks for the detailed write up.

What about these?

Front and Rear

Would stock sized tires work on these? From the stock rims that is. I still have my all seasons I could probably use for at least one more summer. These are 14in like the stock wheels, but I don't know the exact size of the tires I have as I'm not at home at the moment (I guess they're 175/65R14, which is the recommended size for the Anzio Turn, though the offset is different), though I think stock is 14x5.5 not 5., the offset is 45mm like you recommend.

These are 14x5.5 but their offset is only 40mm:

if your car has 175/65x14 tires and not 15's the fit is OK; the wheels even at 40mm offset on OEM tires may work but its close on rubbing issues at fulkl lock. Last but not least be sure the wheel, spokes will clear the brake calipers and drums. even more complication.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:03 AM
if your car has 175/65x14 tires and not 15's the fit is OK; the wheels even at 40mm offset on OEM tires may work but its close on rubbing issues at fulkl lock. Last but not least be sure the wheel, spokes will clear the brake calipers and drums. even more complication.
Yeah it has the stock 14in steel wheels. Is there any way to know whether any of the two wheels above will fit prior to ordering them? I suppose I could just chuck the old tires and get new ones, but I'd hate to get them only to have them not clear the brakes or rub badly.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:23 AM
s0x
5 Year Member
uhhh

if you like them get them. i have 16x7 +42 wheels and they only rub when i go over a speed bump way to fast. never just cuz I'm driving regularly. if you're not planning on dropping the fit than you should be fine.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:35 AM
Originally Posted by s0x
if you like them get them. i have 16x7 +42 wheels and they only rub when i go over a speed bump way to fast. never just cuz I'm driving regularly. if you're not planning on dropping the fit than you should be fine.
Well, I like the anzio vision I posted earlier. Their offset is 45mm, which should work well? It's the highest I can find anywhere.

When I throw them in the cart tirerack wants to charge $200 additionally TPMS sensors, which I don't think I have on my base 2008 fit.

However, if I search as 2007 fit, I don't get this problem. I'd like to order this size:
With 195/55R15 tires. This should be fine on a stock height base model fit? Sorry for all the questions, I just really don't want order the wrong wheels and be stuck with something I can't use. I drive from Wyoming to Chicago and back a few times a year too, so I need something that will work well with my car.

2007 vs 2008 above (no $200 mandatory charge for some sensors)

Last edited by fr8train; 02-23-2015 at 01:42 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:52 AM
5 Year Member
Take a look on here, most will recommend 40-45 offset so you don't have any rubbing even if lowered.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-included.html

Old 02-23-2015, 02:05 AM
Originally Posted by derykisonder
Take a look on here, most will recommend 40-45 offset so you don't have any rubbing even if lowered.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-included.html
Thanks for the link.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
Regarding the TPMS, I believe all the 08's have it; 07's don't, therefore if you get wheels that don't have TPMS, the TPMS light will go on on your dash. That said, some folks don't care; most states let you pass inspection with a TPMS light on; some don't.

In terms of "will it rub or not" you need to figure how where your planned configuration puts the wheel treads. As mentioned above, with stock 195 tires you can use a minimum offset of about 40-45 and it probably won't rub ever. A 205 tire is 10mm wider, so the tread sticks out another 5mm, so keep your offsets 45mm-50mm or more. A 185 tire sticks out 5mm less than stock, so you could probably make 185's work on a 35-40mm offset wheel. Etc.

I personally run 185-65r14 snow tires on 33mm offset 14" wheels (BMW bottlecaps) and they rub a little bit over big bumps.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mwcten
Regarding the TPMS, I believe all the 08's have it; 07's don't, therefore if you get wheels that don't have TPMS, the TPMS light will go on on your dash. That said, some folks don't care; most states let you pass inspection with a TPMS light on; some don't.

In terms of "will it rub or not" you need to figure how where your planned configuration puts the wheel treads. As mentioned above, with stock 195 tires you can use a minimum offset of about 40-45 and it probably won't rub ever. A 205 tire is 10mm wider, so the tread sticks out another 5mm, so keep your offsets 45mm-50mm or more. A 185 tire sticks out 5mm less than stock, so you could probably make 185's work on a 35-40mm offset wheel. Etc.

I personally run 185-65r14 snow tires on 33mm offset 14" wheels (BMW bottlecaps) and they rub a little bit over big bumps.
the driver here who tried that got substantial rubbing. the 185/65x14 tire is not quite the same diameter as 175/65x15, which helps, but the extra tread width +5 mm, and push of offset from 53 to 33 mm, over 3/4", made the interference with the fender virtually certain. if you don't turn the steering wheel...
stick with minimum of 45 mm offset

Old 02-26-2015, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by mwcten

So long as there's no sounds accompanying that light I'd be fine with it. There aren't any sort of inspections here. If it does in fact have TPMS, it'll be the first car I've ever owned that had it. I have 14in stock rims, the tire width is 175. The 15 inch wheels I'm looking at take 195, though I worry that may be too much.

the driver here who tried that got substantial rubbing. the 185/65x14 tire is not quite the same diameter as 175/65x15, which helps, but the extra tread width +5 mm, and push of offset from 53 to 33 mm, over 3/4", made the interference with the fender virtually certain. if you don't turn the steering wheel...
stick with minimum of 45 mm offset
So I've decided on anzio visions, since they're the only ones with a 45mm offset that I like. However, it was mentioned earlier that some wheels may not clear the drums or disks. The 14iners take the same size tire as stock, but they're narrower I believe, 5 vs 5.5 stock. The next size up is 15x5.5, but the sizing goes from 175 to 195, so...too wide? Does that push the offset down?
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...&association=1

Old 02-26-2015, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah it has the stock 14in steel wheels. Is there any way to know whether any of the two wheels above will fit prior to ordering them? I suppose I could just chuck the old tires and get new ones, but I'd hate to get them only to have them not clear the brakes or rub badly.
you can't tell whether the spokes wil;l clear calipers unless the seller says so. sellers like tirerack or discount tire clearly will tell you if they know what car you have. they'll even show you what they look like on your car if you want.
you do want those 45mm offset wheels; the rim width is only of interest to make sure they are proper width for the tire you want and that varies with the profile, from 70 to 35 series the rim must be wider to accomodate the increasing width and less sidewall to 'adjust'. generally speaking the rim width most useful is one that is the same, or very close to, the tread width which is usually 10 to 20 mm less than the section width. example a 175 tire is 6.6" wide and the tread width 155 mm, or 5.86", so a rim width of 6 to 7 inches is good.. a 5" rim is economy speaking to save on wheel cost but the best choice is a 6" width rim so you can easily choose between any width tire from 175 to 205 down to a 50 profile series.the offset says only how far horizontally the centerline of a tire is from the hub face to which the wheel is mounted. when the offset is 45 mm, about a half inche farther outward than OEM, almost all tires up to 205 section width at not bigger diameter than OEM will fit very nicely.
cheers. hope than helps.
ps yes 7" rim width is better for tires more than 175 section. - and still works when offset is 45 mm.
oh one other observation; those wide rims have proiblems with weight and bad tire fits that you need to avoid. cool they may look but they drive like crap. likewise, lowering by more than 1.5".
enjoy.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:41 PM
you can't tell whether the spokes wil;l clear calipers unless the seller says so. sellers like tirerack or discount tire clearly will tell you if they know what car you have. they'll even show you what they look like on your car if you want.
you do want those 45mm offset wheels; the rim width is only of interest to make sure they are proper width for the tire you want and that varies with the profile, from 70 to 35 series the rim must be wider to accomodate the increasing width and less sidewall to 'adjust'. generally speaking the rim width most useful is one that is the same, or very close to, the tread width which is usually 10 to 20 mm less than the section width. example a 175 tire is 6.6" wide and the tread width 155 mm, or 5.86", so a rim width of 6 to 7 inches is good.. a 5" rim is economy speaking to save on wheel cost but the best choice is a 6" width rim so you can easily choose between any width tire from 175 to 205 down to a 50 profile series.the offset says only how far horizontally the centerline of a tire is from the hub face to which the wheel is mounted. when the offset is 45 mm, about a half inche farther outward than OEM, almost all tires up to 205 section width at not bigger diameter than OEM will fit very nicely.
cheers. hope than helps.
ps yes 7" rim width is better for tires more than 175 section. - and still works when offset is 45 mm.
oh one other observation; those wide rims have proiblems with weight and bad tire fits that you need to avoid. cool they may look but they drive like crap. likewise, lowering by more than 1.5".
enjoy.
So a 15x5.5 wheel with a 45mm and 195/55-15 tires should be fine on a stock height fit? Thanks for all the info btw

Old 03-01-2015, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, you should be fine.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
So a 15x5.5 wheel with a 45mm and 195/55-15 tires should be fine on a stock height fit? Thanks for all the info btw
The wheel size, the rim width, offset, and bolt circle do NOT specify the shape of the spokes; there are wheels with nearly flat spokes that will not clear the caliper. only the manufacturer or competent seller will let you know if the wheel spokes clear the caliper on a given model of vehicle.
it is unusual for an alloy wheel to have spokes that interfere with the calipers on wheels specified to meet the above specs but rare to advise clearance on a specific vehicle.
Ask the seller; more than likely the spokes will clear but only an OK from the seller or manufacturer will be certain.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:57 PM
The wheel size, the rim width, offset, and bolt circle do NOT specify the shape of the spokes; there are wheels with nearly flat spokes that will not clear the caliper. only the manufacturer or competent seller will let you know if the wheel spokes clear the caliper on a given model of vehicle.
it is unusual for an alloy wheel to have spokes that interfere with the calipers on wheels specified to meet the above specs but rare to advise clearance on a specific vehicle.
Ask the seller; more than likely the spokes will clear but only an OK from the seller or manufacturer will be certain.
They're one of the wheels that come up when I search under 2008 honda fit, under photos they have them mounted on a late model honda civic. Does the fit have odd wheels that could make this an issue? I may contact tirerack and ask. Thanks again.

Last edited by fr8train; 03-02-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
They're one of the wheels that come up when I search under 2008 honda fit, under photos they have them mounted on a late model honda civic. Does the fit have odd wheels that could make this an issue? I may contact tirerack and ask. Thanks again.

yes, contact tirerack or discount tire for verifying those wheels fit - if they offer themn.its likely 95% certin if they fit civics they fit the Fit but its not sure unless the seller says so and he's a recognized seller.

Quick Reply: Axis OG wheels? Rubbing?