Gauge Interest in a Fit Product or Group Buy Use this sub-forum to gauge market interest in your Product or Group Buy.
If you decide to sell a Product or proceed with your Group Buy, create your listing in our Non-Fit Vendor Group Buys and Product Sales area.
If you decide to become a forum sponsor with "FIT Vendor" title, please Contact Us for details.

Interest in aftermarket Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
Interest in aftermarket Intake Manifold

I'm kind of disappointed that the GD3 has an intake manifold, even if it is just Weapon-R, and the GE8 still has no such thing. Just a new, metal and non-plastic plenum would be an improvement. I'd be very interested in either the full manifold or the plenum. Just something to give N/A an improvement over stock.

Surely I can't be the only one that feels this way.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:51 PM
i definetly agree, i have a shop who would love to make one for us but we need the interest. he just got done making solid motor mounts for us, and will make anything we need aslong as we have funds. right now were working on an xbar set up and c pillar brace. the motor mounts are for sale though manual or automatic would be perfect for you ge8

Old 08-03-2011, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by angryfit
i definetly agree, i have a shop who would love to make one for us but we need the interest. he just got done making solid motor mounts for us, and will make anything we need aslong as we have funds. right now were working on an xbar set up and c pillar brace. the motor mounts are for sale though manual or automatic would be perfect for you ge8
Definitely interested in an intake manifold for N/A applications. Not even Skunk2 has made one for the GE8, and from what I've read the stock plenum is said to have a chamber design that really holds it back. Hardest part is to come up with the money, but would definitely be worth it.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
So I don't know much about the GE's engine is it not the same as the GD? I take it for some reason the weapon r doesn't fit the GE? Why is this?

I will say that while an intake manifold is all well and good (I have an aftermarket one on my civic) but for the amount of labor involved in putting on on the gain is minimal without some head work and a tune. I do hate how the GD's is half plastic though.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
The GD3 is an L15A1, I do believe is the casting number. The GE8 is an L15A7. Completely different head and valvetrain, and the intake ports are different. Considering I didnt pay over 100 dollars for an intake, I'd rather spend that extra money on a better manifold to complement my intake. I do know that headwork is almost required to maximize the gain out of the manifold. But just the fact that it would be available to GE owners as well as GD owners is nice.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
Huh thanks for the info on the engines I really had no idea they were so different. Any idea if Honda puts either of these in any other cars? It sure would be nice to see more mainstream parts companies making more parts for these engines. It would help drive down some of these prices as well becuase like you said an intake should not cost so much when its no more than a pipe and a filter. Good luck guys maybe hit up Bisimoto and see if you get enough interested if he would do it. If anyone could get more power of these things it would be him.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
I don't know if more intake flow and free flowing exhaust would mess up the A/F ratio on your car.... There must be a reason there hasn't been an after market intake for the GE.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Believe it or not, the Weapon-R intake mani is not such a good thing as some may believe.... I have one and i had to back up on fuel on my FIC because my ''Stock manifold'' map was suddenly running pig rich!!! Not to mention the sudden loss of torque.... The runners are just too big (Reduced air velocity!) and the ports on the manifold's flange are a good 3mm bigger then the ports opening at the head (airflow disturbance)!! It may be great on a ported head L15A1 tough...

A properly designed plastic manifold will beat an aluminum manifold for 3 reasons...
-It's wayyyy lighter!
-Inside is wayyyy smoother!
-It will transfer alooott less heat!

Marko!!

Last edited by DOHCtor; 08-03-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DOHCtor
A properly designed plastic manifold will beat an aluminum manifold for 3 reasons...
-It's wayyyy lighter!
-Inside is wayyyy smoother!
-It will transfer alooott less heat!

Marko!!
thank you... you beat me to it...

also, plastic im's can much more easily have air guides/diverters molded into the insides to distribute air more evenly to all cylinders...

Old 08-03-2011, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
Yes but they aren't as strong and really they can be just as rough (depending on quality) as a metal one.

Is the GE's IM the same design where is wraps over the head like the Gd's? This is another design piece that hurts flow. If there was a way to make the runners shorter and still fit it would probably help as well.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
I do agree with you guys in what you're saying about the ease of casting in air guides, but my point is, I live in an area where in the winter time the temperatures move from 70-80 degrees to the freezing point the next day sometimes. To me, the plastic just seems like it would be too easy or prone to crack in those kind of conditions over a period of time. And I can understand about the runners being too big or it throwing off the AFR. If anything, just a metal version of the stock plastic plenum with a better-flowing design that maintains a good air velocity for torque where it's needed would more than satisfy me.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Manga_spawn
Huh thanks for the info on the engines I really had no idea they were so different. Any idea if Honda puts either of these in any other cars? It sure would be nice to see more mainstream parts companies making more parts for these engines. It would help drive down some of these prices as well becuase like you said an intake should not cost so much when its no more than a pipe and a filter. Good luck guys maybe hit up Bisimoto and see if you get enough interested if he would do it. If anyone could get more power of these things it would be him.
Honda's L-series is in all sorts of vehicles, but the L15A is mainly in the City, Aria, and Fit/Jazz. I'm not sure about the L15A7. This is what the Android app "Honda Automotive Database" has to say:

L15A1 VTEC:
Fit/Jazz, Fit Aria, Airwave, Mobilio, and Mobilio Spike
L15A2 i-DSI:
Fit Aria, Mobilio, Partner, Fit/Jazz in Japan and some other countries.
L15A4 i-DSI:
Honda Jazz Completely Knock Down Indonesian model

The L15A1 has a similar powerband to the L15A7 in the new GE: torque peak at 4800 RPM. The i-DSI makes less torque overall, but it peaks much lower at 2700 RPM.

Bisimoto has already tuned an L15A to 500 wheel horsepower. Whether that's NA or FI, I have no clue.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
It has to be boost. No way an na engine that small makes that number. You could try looking for an manifold for k e of those other cars also. Since they aren't sold in the us it could still be tough.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
I've seen pictures of that car and he has a turbo charger. DSM has pictures of stuff that is being made now to beef up the Fit 1.5 engines for boost applications...14 PSI is too much boost for an engine with stock internals. I believe that the blue Spoon Fit with a kwsc supercharger came unglued at 14 PSI and there has been a couple of Fit Freaks that bent connecting rods at the same amount of boost.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Manga_spawn
It has to be boost. No way an na engine that small makes that number. You could try looking for an manifold for k e of those other cars also. Since they aren't sold in the us it could still be tough.
The problem is the way it hooks up.

This is the GD3/L15A1 manifold.

This is the GE8/L15A7 intake manifold. I haven't looked at the i-DSI intake manifolds yet, but these two are not interchangeable, by the looks of these pictures.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:12 AM
These intake's are not plastic, it is just what the uneducated masses call them. these "plastic" manifolds, upper intake in our case is made out of polypropylene in most casses with fiber glass enforced, I belive some are carbon fiber enforced, for race application and higher end cars. These intake manifolds are just as strong. they should not be compared to the plastic of your 1:24 scale model.

I am also looking for a intake manifold for a l15a, if anyone has an extra one sitting around, I can pay with paypal

pm me

Old 07-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Before you start calling people uneducated you might want to bone up on the subject a bit further before you make yourself look like a moron.

Polypropylene (C3H6) is a plastic polymer/polyolefin.

You are thinking of composite fiber manifolds. We do not have one of these. They are also prohibitively expensive.

The plastic description is perfectly appropriate in this instance.

When you have to use terms like "I believe" you should probably consider not talking down to others since you cannot confirm your assumptions.

Some of us need an aluminum plenum because any real amount of boost turns them into balloons and then they fail.

Even sheet metal intake manifolds suffer this effect. It's just a matter of having a ton of surface area exposed to pressure.

Polypropylene plastic also has a tendency to melt at relatively low temperature (~250-350F)

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 07-05-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Lot's of good info here.I'm coming from the Mustang community where the aftermarket has produced parts overnight for the new Mustang Coyote 5.0

so owning a Fit is a whole different animal for me.It looks like the focus will continue to be on the CRZ and hopefully parts developed for that model will be available for the GE Fit.

I'm not really looking to gain more power from my Fit and will only upgrade suspension.
I will however keep up with what's going on as far as performance.

I will support the community and vendors that step up to the plate developing intakes,Turbos etc.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by zilla8
Lot's of good info here.I'm coming from the Mustang community where the aftermarket has produced parts overnight for the new Mustang Coyote 5.0

so owning a Fit is a whole different animal for me.It looks like the focus will continue to be on the CRZ and hopefully parts developed for that model will be available for the GE Fit.

I'm not really looking to gain more power from my Fit and will only upgrade suspension.
I will however keep up with what's going on as far as performance.

I will support the community and vendors that step up to the plate developing intakes,Turbos etc.
Almost anything you need already exists.

If you have a serious inquiry PM me and we can work something out.

I make big discounts for FF members on consulting/design and sourcing.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Almost anything you need already exists.

If you have a serious inquiry PM me and we can work something out.

I make big discounts for FF members on consulting/design and sourcing.
Good to know DSM never know when I might get a wild hair

Quick Reply: Interest in aftermarket Intake Manifold