For those of you with LSD

Old 12-10-2007, 02:08 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
For those of you with LSD

im gonna get my Limited slip differential from spoon next week. i just had a few questions about it.

1. is there THAT much of a difference in cornering and power distribution?

2. how annoying is the clanking of it?

3. what kind do you have (j's racing, spoon, etc)

4. has anyone heard of an electronic LSD? ive only seen clutch type for our cars.

5. is a new clutch and flywheel recommended?

6. how much of a b*tch is it to install?

any info on experience with this mod is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:15 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
anyone, anyone?

Old 12-10-2007, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
in for info!

Old 12-11-2007, 11:52 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
does no one have LSD? or are you all just stingy with info on it? =)

Old 12-11-2007, 12:20 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
i think the only person (to my knowledge) is Ben from AJ-R

Old 12-11-2007, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
I don't have one on my fit yet, but from the past experience, it makes a day and night difference. you can corner much faster, tighter, much better traction, I consider it a must, if you can afford it.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:14 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
oh cool tell us how it is!

Old 12-11-2007, 07:20 PM
I don't think many people would consider putting LSD on their 90whp econobox

Old 12-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by hatch69
I guess I'm one of those "not many people" then .

Old 12-11-2007, 09:44 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thejroisgo
I guess I'm one of those "not many people" then .
hahaha me too. what the hell? they wouldnt make it if people didnt use it. i guess some people dont understand these cars. ITS NOT FOR POWER, ITS FOR HANDLING! xtra power to the ground is just a plus

Old 12-12-2007, 01:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hatch69

not much of a racer I guess, it doesn't matter how much power you have, LSD will always help.

best example, my go kart, I love drive my go kart around in snow, but it's a home made one, the 3hp motor is only powering the left wheel, so on snow/ice, I can't make a left turn to save my life. But if I have a LSD on my go kart, it would be a different story, and we are only talking about 3hp here.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
woahhh.. LSD man....

Old 12-12-2007, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
Hope this helps. from the cusco website.

Featuring high tension chrome molybdenium steel housing and gears the Cusco LSD is up for the task of serious competition. With large oil windows for increased flow and Cusco's original groove cut technology for improved efficiency on the clutch plates, stability and longevity is promoted.

Features:
Rapid throttle response
Minimal slipping, even in high-power applications
No slipping in 1/4 mile/drag applications
Steady power delivery for motorsports and drifting

1 way LSD: Specially suited for front wheel drive cars and on the front axle of AWD cars. Activates under acceleration, and acts as a true LSD when the throttle is off. This CUSCO 1 way LSD will improve lap times without a doubt.
1.5 way LSD: Activates under acceleration while the under-steer under deceleration is less than on a 2 way LSD. Recommended for those who have a hard time with under-steer.
2 way LSD: Recommended on rear wheel drive cars and on the rear axle of AWD cars. Activates on both acceleration and deceleration. Recommended for those who prefer aggressive driving and big angle drifting.

Type RS LSD:
The RS is designed to minimize power loss and chattering. The low-pressure oil system and smooth flow design makes for minimal chattering, improved efficiency. Initial torque on the Cusco LSD is approximately 50-70% lower than convential cone-type LSDs due to the use of RS springs, making for reduced low-end friction and improved throttle response. Special precision springs set in the pressure plate ensure steady coil movement, and the clutch plates do not stick together like conventional cone-type LSDs, so clutch plate wear occurs. Proven in Gymkhana racing (Cusco used one for an entire season without having to overhaul it).

Old 12-12-2007, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
im gonna get my Limited slip differential from spoon next week. i just had a few questions about it.

1. is there THAT much of a difference in cornering and power distribution?
There's a big difference, night and day as people have said. Think about it like this... when you're loading the suspension heavily in a corner, you're taking a lot of weight/load off of the inner wheel and tire. Once you start to put down some power, with an open differential it's just going to spin that inner wheel with no traction. The LSD will keep power to both wheels (Limiting Slip) so you can put MORE power down in the turn and not slide from traction loss. It's hard to describe the feeling... I guess the best way I can think of is instead of pushing (understeering), it makes a car feel like it's pulling you through the corner.

2. how annoying is the clanking of it?
The Quaife doesn't make noise, at least they haven't since they first came out. Clutch types tend to make a little more noise in my experience (the Quaife and I assume the Spoon and most Honda OEM types are helical). the noise was caused by lack of preload on early models, that was pretty easily solved with spring/Belleville washers.

3. what kind do you have (j's racing, spoon, etc)
I haven't used an LSD in a Fit yet, but I recommend a Quaife to anyone who doesn't have an OEM one (like a Type R or something). There are benefits to different kinds, but quaife is pretty much the standard, at least in Honda use. The best part is IF you are one of the few people that manage to break one, they are warrantied.

4. has anyone heard of an electronic LSD? ive only seen clutch type for our cars.
Haven't seen an electronic one for the Fit, but like I said already the Quaife is not a clutch pack LSD, it's a helical. You should be aware that a clutch-type LSD requires break-in and periodic rebuilding. The break-in usually consists of doing figure 8s in a parking lot for a while. The rebuilding is for the same reason you have to rebuild a clutch, it's a wear item that needs new parts. The frequency of that depends on the LSD and how much it's used, but however frequently, it will require you to remove the transmission from the car. There are definitely performance benefits to the clutch-type, but for someone who wants no hassle on a street or dual-purpose car I think helical is the way to go (there's a reason honda uses them in their OEM applications).

5. is a new clutch and flywheel recommended?
The LSD itself doesn't neccessitate a new clutch and flywheel, you aren't increasing the power of the engine or anything. It may be a good idea though, since you'll be "in there" when you take the transmission off.

6. how much of a b*tch is it to install?
That's kinda vague... Personally I wouldn't see it as a big job, but I remember the first time I opened up a FWD transmission and how confusing it seemed at the time. It can be a pain to remove the transmission at home (ie, not with a lift and air tools), but once you have it out, tearing it down and replacing the differential isn't that bad, you just have to do a good job of keeping track of the parts and where they go. It also *may* require a new shim set for the diff, since you'll be changing everything but the ring gear on it (bearings, differential). It really depends on what you end up getting for a diff, we're talking about very small clearances here. If you have decent mechanical skill it's not that bad, about as in-depth as replacing a headgasket and timing belt I'd say.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Banned
I had the m2b4 jdm h22 tranny in my cb7. It was lsd from the factory just a straight swap in I noticed better launches, better hookup, better cornering and much better power distribution.

I would recommend a new clutch and flywheel while you're in there, I mean these cars are much newer than the car I'm used to working on, but if you plan on adding power down the road you might as well have a clutch to handle it, and a flywheel will free up at least a pony or 2, plus it'll give you more throttle response, which would be nice at least with my fit it would be.

I would recommend not buying an xtd clutch. It will break, I had one in my accord and one of the dampening springs broke free, then it happened to 2 of my friends within 2 months of it happening to me

Old 12-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by yeamans17

I would recommend a new clutch and flywheel while you're in there, I mean these cars are much newer than the car I'm used to working on, but if you plan on adding power down the road you might as well have a clutch to handle it, and a flywheel will free up at least a pony or 2, plus it'll give you more throttle response, which would be nice at least with my fit it would be.

I would recommend not buying an xtd clutch. It will break, I had one in my accord and one of the dampening springs broke free, then it happened to 2 of my friends within 2 months of it happening to me
The problem is that there isn't really an afordable aftermarket clutch. ACT is working on something but not really moving that forward with it yet. Tough to do right now.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:25 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Hocker
The problem is that there isn't really an afordable aftermarket clutch. ACT is working on something but not really moving that forward with it yet. Tough to do right now.
Good to know, I've only had my Fit for 3 weeks and I haven't really had the money yet to start looking into parts yet

Old 01-06-2008, 01:42 AM
5 Year Member
I'd want one because this car is annoying to drive in harsh weather. An LSD would make a great improvement. In the rain or snow making quick turns from a stop can be annoying because of wheelspin. Not to mention being able to take off quicker without wheel spin. It's not a race car but it's small improvements like this that can make a car much more enjoyable to drive. I think an LSD would be espeically beneficial if you AutoX, which I plan to try next year.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:04 AM
5 Year Member
i would love to get an lsd. in fact its on top of my list of expensive parts i want. as far as installing it, if you are mechanically inclined it should be do-able. it will be a bi*ch im sure. its going to involve removing the transmission, and that is going to be difficult. if you know anyone thats installed an lsd in any fwd platform before, they should be able to help somewhat.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Yea not to tough to do but if you have no clue on working on parts then I wouldn't recommend doing it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: For those of you with LSD