The Art And Science of The Fit Manual Shift

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
The Art And Science of The Fit Manual Shift

Fit Manual Drivers,

Before I put my $ down on a Fit 5 speed, I want to make sure I will get the best driving experience out of using a clutch.

Reason being, I recently went for a test drive and was told by the salesman that because I was taking my right foot completely off the gas at the same time I was putting my left foot down for the clutch, that there was a bit of a lunge forward motion in the car after I'd shifted and had given the car some gas.

The guy told me to keep my right foot on the gas UNTIL my left foot entirely engaged the clutch. I suppose I have no reason not to believe him, but this made me consider what else I might be doing wrong as I drive a 5 speed. And so here is a question for the gear heads, what are the very top tips for shifting, engaging the clutch, putting the clutch into gear, taking off the clutch, giving the Fit gas, etc.?

Thanks,
CARGIRL

Old 05-01-2008, 04:03 PM
This thread doesn't belong here, but I'm not a mod.

But what I do to go from a dead stop to moving forward is:

1. Clutch to the floor
2. Shift to 1st
3. Slowly let off the clutch until I feel it disengage (it depends on the age and type of clutch to tell how much or little you need)
4. Level it out with the gas

I have seen a lot of people over-rev, and I used to do it too. But after a while I got to the point where it's like driving auto, ie. no jerking forward or over-revving.

Forums can't help you learn to drive. You need the 3 P's:

practice, practice, practice!

Old 05-01-2008, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cargirl2B
Fit Manual Drivers,

The guy told me to keep my right foot on the gas UNTIL my left foot entirely engaged the clutch.
Thanks,
CARGIRL
Thats completely retarded. that sales person has no idea what hes talking about. if you kept you foot on the gas after engaging the clutch you would hit the rev-limiter in no time.

When shifting you let go of the gas, press the clutch in, then slowly release the clutch and give a little gas. and as before practice makes it smoother!

Old 05-01-2008, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
yea and let me add actually shift between pushing the clutch in and releasing it. that helps a little

Old 05-02-2008, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
I've been driving manuals on and off for years. Shifting has been pretty smooth in my '08 Fit Sport. On the way home yesterday, I paid attention to how I was shifting.
As my left foot depresses the clutch pedal, my right foot lifts completely off the gas pedal (not far off).
I push gently on the shift knob to put the transmission in neutral; it goes when it is ready.
When my left foot hits bottom on the clutch travel, I shift into the next gear.
As the left foot lifts up on the clutch pedal, the right foot starts to press the gas.

Practice, practice, then practice some more.

To get a great feel for engine speed and gear selection, try shifting without the clutch (only when moving, obviously). Gentle pressure on the shifter should be able to put the car in and out of gear if the engine speed is right. Don't force it.

--Barry

Old 05-08-2008, 09:46 PM
"Drive-by-wire" throttle. It take getting use to. It doesn't respond like hard throttle linkage does. There is a lag time..

Last edited by Capt.Drydock; 05-20-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:30 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
my only advice is to drive it more until you get a better feel for it. or if you have a pretty good feel for manual transmissions, you will notice that there is a tad bit of lag on the throttle so just adapt to the lag and you will be good to go.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Yea, I hate that lag when you let up the gas. Its so small; but perceptible and drives me nuts. Some days I'm spot on and perfect. Other days, its just horrible.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member
1. don't overthink it.
2. either by watching your tach or by listening, observe what the motor does when you push-in the clutch (disengaging it). does the RPM abruptly increase while simultaneously experiencing an abrupt end to acceleration? if so, you're a little further into the throttle than you need to be as you're pushing in the clutch.
3. tempo. every gearbox has a native tempo to it. some can be hustled, some just don't like it, and that tempo varies for what it is you are doing that moment. try adjusting your timing and shift rate according to what you are doing.
4. again, don't overthink it. i don't know how new or not you are to driving manual, but really, it will be awkward for a week, then you'll forget about any of this being a problem.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:29 AM
5 Year Member
i learned how to drive a 5 speed on a mazda truck and i killed it at least 10 times within a 5 block radius

but i needed to learn so i can get the job (working right now) at honda and i practice once again and did okay but i over-rev most of the time

and after getting hired i had to drive 5 speeds once in a while (s2000, civic, fit) and after couple of weeks i had it down perfectly

i rarely ever kill a car anymore unless its one of the used cars i get like an rx8 were the clutch is a little but tougher and its harder to find the catch point

but like everyone else said, its all about practicing

Old 05-10-2008, 11:32 AM
mine now 2 days old shifts fine to me. but my 06 Si shifted smooth to me and everyone seemed to complain about that too. heh. The Fit seems to have insanely light pedals to me (my Miata that it replaces felt like it had heavy pedal compared to it) which made the first couple times I shifted it a little awkward. But you get used to it and everything it super simple.

Last edited by racecarshots; 05-10-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:07 AM
5 Year Member
Horsefeathers.
You may start to ease up on the throttle as you put the clutch in but keeping the throttle unmoved is inefficient and incompetent. Keeping the throttle down should cause the Fit engine to 'race' until you let the throttle up. You have it right.
As far as tips, there's only one: find a nice vacant parking lot and practice. (the best vehicle to practice on is a pickup truck but if you don't have access to one the Fit will do.) Start out practicing on a down hill grade as there will be less tendency to stall; graduate to level and uphill grades with successes. You will be surprised how easily you'l learn based on my kids expereinces.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit has a slight problem with movement between shifts (i think). When driving a nicer manual car, ex my 2000 A4, shifts are smooth and the passanger won't know they are in a manual. With the Fit its more obvious. When driving up the NJ I had about 400lbs more than usual in the car, this extra weight made a huge difference to shifts. The car didn't move as much between shifts and felt more luxurious and less like driving a manual car.

Josh

By the way, with all that extra weight I still managed 42mpg, going about 75mph the whole way.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
If you just want a nice easy shift. Count "one one-thousand" before releasing the clutch and the RPM's will be matched at it will be very nice. This works for slow to me acceleration and shifts between 2500 and 3500.
enjoy

Old 06-12-2008, 09:13 PM
I learned how to drive stick in a 1930 Model A Ford. Three speed non-synchro, as mechanical as a transmission ever has been. I'm currently restoring a 1940 Cadillac series 62 coupe, also a manual trans, this one a three on the tree. If you can drive a Model A smoothly in traffic you can drive anything! The trick with modern cars is to get the feel for when the hydraulic throw-out bearing releases. I suggest finding a gentle slope, like a driveway or uphill parking lot and repeatedly starting out from a stop until you gain the muscle memory of your cars "catch-point" Once you have mastered this you can hold your car in place on a hill with the clutch rather than the brakes. And no I don't recommend doing this at every stoplight, unless you like replacing clutches, its just a good skill to have.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:59 PM
It is all about timing. Every manual feels different, but you can't be taught how to drive a stick via the internet. Buy the car drive it for a week and by then you will have it down.

Last edited by splinters81; 06-21-2008 at 11:04 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:03 PM
pcs0snq vbmenu_register("postmenu_326532", true);
Frequent FitFreak Poster

I am calling bull shat on your 500 mile tank. That means you are roughly getting 45 miles to a gallon. 10.8 gallons 33 miles to a gallon if you baby it. No way. Sorry I know it is a little off subject but couldn't resist.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
I love my 5 Speed you'll get used to it!

Old 06-22-2008, 11:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by splinters81
pcs0snq vbmenu_register("postmenu_326532", true);
Frequent FitFreak Poster

I am calling bull shat on your 500 mile tank. That means you are roughly getting 45 miles to a gallon. 10.8 gallons 33 miles to a gallon if you baby it. No way. Sorry I know it is a little off subject but couldn't resist.
No big deal that's just showing everyone that reads that you have no idea because you did not take the time to research what a MT Fit is capable of, in the right hands.
In an effort to help you become less clueless, here's a link to a real expert that has got over 600 miles on a tank.
CleanMPG, - Garage An authoritative source on fuel economy and hypermiling

Old 06-23-2008, 04:38 AM
5 Year Member
^:lol pwned...

btw grats on 500 mi

Quick Reply: The Art And Science of The Fit Manual Shift