Dealer or Quickie Lube for Oil Change?

Old 07-01-2008, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
Dealer or Quickie Lube for Oil Change?

Hey, This is probably a dumb question but is there really an advantage of taking the Fit in to the dealer for oil changes. My first change I waited 2 hours at the dealer. I probably should have changed the oil myself. Are the drive in places ok?

Old 07-04-2008, 06:59 AM
Hey there Gumby
I take my Fit to the dealer for oil change service. At the least I know my ride is being serviced by a trained tech, not some knucklehead who was flipping burgers at MacD's a week ago.
I was paying less than 20 bucks for oil change at the dealer until a month ago, now its 25, thanks to our buddies in the middle east.
My dealer charges 10 to replace the wiper with OEM inserts, recommend doing that every 10K or so, also recommend purging the air in your tires with nitrogen, at the least it helps keep the pressure better compared to using compressed air.
I recommend staying away from any gas that contains ethanol/methanol at all, my Fit dont like it, the car seems to struggle when I use that fuel.
Good luck with your ride.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Banned
I would avoid the drive up places like the plague. They are notorious for stripping oil pans. Overall they've got a pretty bad rep. If the dealership ****s it up they'll fix it for free.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Anyone who would pay over $15000 for a new car and try to save $5 on an oil change by some 17 year old ought to have his head examined!

How often will you really get the oil changed anyway? And will you let go all the other items that go with normal maintenance on a new Honda?

Old 07-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
just make an appointment next time so you dont need to wait 2hrs.

or just do it yourself. the filter and drain plug is right there.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:40 PM
I'm going to the dealer tomorrow for my first oil change on the car. Made the appointment online the other day.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by bonsaikc
Anyone who would pay over $15000 for a new car and try to save $5 on an oil change by some 17 year old ought to have his head examined!

How often will you really get the oil changed anyway? And will you let go all the other items that go with normal maintenance on a new Honda?

Or you could do it yourself (everyone can learn)....it takes 15 mins and I save my 10 bucks. That way I know its done right. I dont even trust dealers, Honda or other.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by bonsaikc

nothing personal but i see 17-year-old tech in dealers too, i do not particularly think that dealer does a better job than other mechanic although they definitely charge a lot more, although i myself is not a fan of those quick lube places at all, specifically Jiffy Lube, pretty much hate them to death and would never go back

find a reliable independent mechanic around your area, ask around for reference (friend, forum, yahoo, google, even BBB), does take some times and luck to find the right one in the first try though

Fit is my 3rd Honda and i haven't owned any non-Honda car, my mechanic is a master honda mechanic that i've been going for years

Old 07-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
nothing other than dealer oil changes for me

the 17 y/o at quicki whatever may be good, but i trust my dealership a little bit more.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by vile10
nothing personal but i see 17-year-old tech in dealers too
Maybe so, but if that 17 year old over torques your drain plug, the dealership will fix it, and they'll fix it right. Not only that but usually they'll give you a loaner car to drive while they're fixing their mistake. How many independent shops and quick lube shops willl step up to the plate like that?

Old 07-18-2008, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice. Can I get an average wait at your local dealer for the oil change. Two different local Honda dealers have consistently had an hour to hour and a half wait on scheduled oil changes.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:15 PM
like i said, it varies from case by case, i've seen dealer mess up cars, i've seen dealers not using OEM oil, i've been accused by dealer for wrong-doing to avoid fixing my car under warranty, i've seen it all; i don't feel like it's particular better than independent mechanics

but again, if going to dealer gives you a piece of mind, sure, why not, just not me

Old 07-18-2008, 04:32 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by vile10
like i said, it varies from case by case, i've seen dealer mess up cars, i've seen dealers not using OEM oil, i've been accused by dealer for wrong-doing to avoid fixing my car under warranty, i've seen it all; i don't feel like it's particular better than independent mechanics

but again, if going to dealer gives you a piece of mind, sure, why not, just not me

I'm also coming from the perspective from working as a tech at a dealership, all dealerships are not created equal. I worked at a particularly demanding dealership, where if you messed something up you were publicly embarassed in front of your co-workers and if that wasn't enough to make you watch your step your second screw up came out of your paycheck.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:01 PM
spelng > me
5 Year Member
After working at a jiffy lube about 5 years ago and from personal experience. Either a buy a case of filters and do it yourself or take it to the dealer cause after jiffy lube put in the wron oil in my b18c5 powered civic and have the motor mysteriously blow up about 20 miles later I would never go to them again plus when I used to work for them they would put in the wrong tire pressure forget to put back in dipsticks oilcaps, screww on filters all the way etc..... I do my own or let the dealer mess it up at least they will be resoncible

Old 07-23-2008, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
If your worried about time managment, make an appointment with the dealership for first thing in the morning, have them drive you to work, then have them pick you up at lunch to get your car. That is what I do. Dealerships will always go the extra mile to keep your business.

When I owned my Toyota I worked over 30 miles from the dealership and the manager would personally drive me to work in the morning because it was to far for there shuttle service to take me.

I rest much easier knowing the dealership is doing the work right, and if anything goes wrong they will step up to the plate to fix it.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
i wont let the dealer touch my car, or any quick lube places. i have a friend who works at a garage do all my tough work...small stuff i will do myself. oil change is simple in the fit, dont even need to use jacks, just lay down under there and you can reach it all! 15 mins and your done. if you dont have a place to properly dispose of your used oil i would take your car to the dealer or a trusted mechanic, never a "jiffy lube" type place. they are HORRIBLE.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Banned
Kind of off topic but if i am changing my own oil should i also rotate tires or should i do that on a different time frame?

Old 07-24-2008, 04:10 AM
I took my lil CRX to Jiffy lube in the late 80's. Somehow when doing an oil change they broke my temperature gauge and from that time on my great milage of about 40mpg began significantly and steadily dropping till I sold it a couple years later when it topped at 25 mpg.

15 years later I got a "gift certificate" to Jiffy Lube and thought they had to be better by now or they would've gone out of business. So I took my Mazda Ranger clone in. Guess what--another broken engine temp gauge and my fiance (now husband) still thinks they never did change the oil. I will no longer take any car there for an oil change--even if it is free or if they even paid me.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gbaby2089
Kind of off topic but if i am changing my own oil should i also rotate tires or should i do that on a different time frame?

i think they say every 6k miles to rotate your tires? im not 100% sure on this though. pretty sure 6k is the recommended interval for rotation of the tires.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kancerr
i think they say every 6k miles to rotate your tires? im not 100% sure on this though. pretty sure 6k is the recommended interval for rotation of the tires.
Tire rotation will come up as a maintenance-minder code. Can't think of the number off the top of my head.

As for being on topic, the dealership where I bought my car gives oil changes away cheaper than the quickie places.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealer or Quickie Lube for Oil Change?