knee, back pain and cramping

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 07:39 AM
5 Year Member
knee, back pain and cramping

i stupidly bought a base model 8 weeks ago.

i commute 120miles/day

the seating position is beyond horrible, nothing is comfortable. i have had constant knee/shin/back pain and cramping in my legs since i bought the car (even my left leg). i have tried every combination of seating position... nothing helps. it's all too cramped or too stretched out. i have owned literally a dozen EG/DC chassis hondas over the last 10 years and NEVER had a problem like this. back pain is solved by sitting upright and all the way back... which is fine but requires me to have the seat up farther to engage the clutch.

at this point, i am going to my dealer and checking out an '09 sport model in the hope that cruise will solve my problems

am i the only person to have this problem? i'm only 5'8" and 150lbs.

Last edited by x98myers7; 10-09-2008 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:58 AM
i dont know man in my sport (which should be the same as the base) my seats are fine (hard) but fine. and im 6'1 200lb and i never have problems

Old 10-09-2008, 08:32 AM
5 Year Member
the seats are not the problem at all

the problem is the position of the seat in relation to the pedals

Old 10-09-2008, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
I have driven literally hundreds of cars over the past 5 years (working for a car rental company does that to ya), for all makes and model under the sun and the Fit is honestly the most comfortable I have found. I think it's more your body than a problem with the car. Maybe you should see a chiropractor? Have you ever been in a wreck or accident or anythinig?

Old 10-09-2008, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
i'm 5'9.5 and 150 as well. i've found that the most comfortable seating position for me is with the seat upright and one click from being fully extended backward

Old 10-10-2008, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
i can't even touch the pedals in that position

if i set it back a bit, it does help a bit

i broke down and purchased a rostra aftermarket cruise kit today. rushlow had great things to say about the kit, so we'll see how it goes.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
I would see an orthopedist if I was experiencing what you are. I had the same complaints as you speak of and did nothing. I ruined my back and now take pain medication daily. Something isn't right with your back and might get worse over a period of time. I don't think it is the seats in your car, I'm 6'2" 230 lbs and I don't suffer any more on long drives than I do in other vehicles. I experienced exactly what you've described 20 yrs ago when I drove a VW Rabbit.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:05 PM
it's the high seats and pedal position. For my daly commute of 60kms or so it doesn't bother me, but a few 3+ hour road trips and it gets really uncomfortable. This winter I'm going to fab up new brackets for the brake and clutch. The gas pedal is there it should be, the brake and clutch are way too far forward.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Injundon
it's the high seats and pedal position. For my daly commute of 60kms or so it doesn't bother me, but a few 3+ hour road trips and it gets really uncomfortable. This winter I'm going to fab up new brackets for the brake and clutch. The gas pedal is there it should be, the brake and clutch are way too far forward.
True, and is compounded by the long reach for the non telescoping steering wheel.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:08 PM
agreed

Originally Posted by Injundon
The gas pedal is there it should be, the brake and clutch are way too far forward.
I'm not wanting to hoot on GM cars but they usually gave us ways to adjust such things.

The brake and clutch ARE WAY TOO far forward. Any Honda techs that can offer a solution? I'd like to hear it! I can adjust and deal with it but I'd rather "adjust" the car.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
:facepalm:. if you guys dont like the car, you shouldnt have bought it

Old 10-11-2008, 01:21 PM
I love the car..just not for more than 2 hours a shot.

Old 10-11-2008, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
I agree with this thread. I was hoping some company would fab up sliders to lower the seat down the bit.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:19 AM
I have exactly the same problem in my right leg, I cannot drive more than about 20 minutes without cruise. It's the blasted gas pedal. It's so soft that without realizing it I'm holding up my foot instead of my old honda where the pedal did most of that for me. Heck multiple times I drove my civic 10-14 hours straight without working cruise control and all I got from that was a little shoulder pain from holding my arm up.

Sometimes I'll rest my foot on the carpet on the right and just push the pedal a little bit with the left side of my foot.

#1 reason I bought a Sport, couldn't take it without it.

If your body won't relax, you will cramp!

Old 10-14-2008, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
I do monthly 15+ hours of driving at a time, I have learned that cruise is helpful, and taking off your shoes and driving with just socks on helps out too. For some reason, I always feel cramped and crappy in general when I have been wearing shoes while driving. Without the shoes, I feel like I have better circulation in the legs, and I don't even wear tight shoes, they are normally loose or untied.

Just an FYI, if you plan on doing this daily, try taking your shoes off, and use your socks, or something comfortable.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
tried that.

my feet aren't big enough to comfortably reach the pedal without shoes

i'm working out install issues with the cruise... i hope to get it working VERY VERY soon. i'm sick of this shit.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
you're too far back, have you tried pulling forward?

you're 5'8, and I think my friend that is 5'2" has issues too, but she ends up getting a booster seat... she likes her 00' Civic EX, cause the seats can go higher up...

She just hates to drive my car because of the seats.. everythign else she loves..

Man seems like the car may not have been the best choice.... =[

wish their seats could go up and down.... and telescoping steering wheel.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:19 PM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
so.... it seems your problem, correct me if im wrong.. is that
you are saying the fit is not designed for "smaller" people?

im 5'8", and weigh a whopping 135 pounds.

i drive 40 miles to work (roughly a 45 minute commute)
stand on my feet for 9 hours (retail - only an hour lunch)
then drive home for another 40 miles, (the drive home is ALWAYS in traffic and takes at least one hour)
then drive around and catch up on the rest of my errands for the day
and repeat 5 days a week

my seat is about middle of the rail and slanted back, in most peoples words as far a bed...

however..
i have no complaints with seat comfort or knees and back

Old 10-15-2008, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by billmus86
i have no complaints with seat comfort or knees and back

Everyone is different, no? He may be into the IT where his legs aren't used much at all, and the change in the way he has to use the pedals and the seat position may be activating some new muscles he didn't know he had. I know for a fact this is possible, cause I'm in programming, and doing my long drives at first, I felt muscles that I didn't know exist pop out like huge bananas from my calves.

=P

To each their own. He can either take it, and let the muscle aches become muscles, or he can change out and try different things like lumbar support, not use shoes, take pain medication, or other things like acupuncture, ooooh that one sounds interesting... anyways.

Anyways, everyone is diff.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CuTeBoi
you're too far back, have you tried pulling forward?

Dude shhhhh, that is a MOD I use for better mpg

seat back = less on the gas

Quick Reply: knee, back pain and cramping