any ideas of keep FIT engine cooler

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
any ideas of keep FIT engine cooler

was wondering since the radiator is soooo small and such a small capacity in coolant if there is any suggestion of keep cooler.. i know there was tossed around of the fan temp switch replaced with lower temp but never saw a part number or a specific application from another honda car for the us fit to keep engine cooler esp when sitting in traffic at a stand still for a long period of time in hot weather...

Old 10-22-2008, 12:13 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
upgrading the fan. running a high pressure radiator cap. silicon colling hoses. low temp fan switch. low temp thermostat. all those will help keep engine temps down. not running the ac in traffic helps alot too.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:21 AM
5 Year Member
that is mostly what i know already but what is the part number or replacement from another honda for the low temp fan switch for the US model FIT

Old 10-22-2008, 12:22 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
does the spoon temp controls not work?

Old 10-22-2008, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member
why would you want the engine to be cooler? do you think you are smarter than the engineers at honda? there is millions of fits/jazzes on teh road running fine, and YOURS runs hot? how do you know? we dont even have a temp gauge hahahaha. but seriously.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:33 AM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
why would you want the engine to be cooler? do you think you are smarter than the engineers at honda? there is millions of fits/jazzes on teh road running fine, and YOURS runs hot? how do you know? we dont even have a temp gauge hahahaha. but seriously.
It doesnt matter if it runs fine... It can ALWAYS be improved. This is why Companies such as spoon makes these products to reduce engine temp. Running these mods will not hurt your engine they are only extra precautionary measures.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:37 AM
Fa1
Stock is more then enough for the street.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fa1
Stock is more then enough for the street.
thats what im saying

Old 10-22-2008, 07:54 AM
intentional!

Originally Posted by solbrothers
solbrothers is right. Honda intends for the engine to be that hot. Every Honda I've owned seemed like you could weld over the engine. On my Integra I was blown away that the radiator held 4 quarts and the entire system held five. By the way over at ecomodder they're blocking off some of the Fit's lower air dam to increase temps for mileage. Solbothers I thought you were the scanguage's biggest fan? You have a temp guage if you want one right? I'm still getting one someday!

Old 10-22-2008, 08:20 AM
5 Year Member
wow the fit doesnt have a temp gauge.. i have a scangauge that shows the temperature of the water....
i was talking bout if you had read the original post when it is like 95+ degrees outside and sitting in traffic that is moving bout 2 miles an hour if there is anything to keep it running a little cooler then besides shutting off the engine to keep it from running any hotter since you are not moving in traffic..
yeah stock is fine for everyday situations..and i agree with jdmchis that stock can always be improved that is why there is exhaust, superchargers, CAI, etc....to improve on things..

Old 10-22-2008, 08:21 AM
5 Year Member
does silicone offer that much more cooling than stock material hoses?

Old 10-22-2008, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member
....spoon will work.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:45 AM
I agree. The coolant system is designed to keep the engine within a certain window of optimum temperature and efficiency. However, a lower temp fan relay switch would be desired if running it hard and in a hot climate.
Silicon hoses and upgraded fan is just a waste of cash on a stock motor and daily driving.

Unless you are seriously increasing the power output of this motor the factory cooling system is more than adequate. After all, it is a Honda.

Last edited by Nabisco; 10-22-2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by Nabisco
I agree. The coolant system is designed to keep the engine within a certain window of optimum temperature and efficiency. However, a lower temp fan relay switch would be desired if running it hard and in a hot climate.
Silicon hoses and upgraded fan is just a waste of cash on a stock motor and daily driving.

Unless you are seriously increasing the power output of this motor the factory cooling system is more than adequate. After all, it is a Honda.

+1. Absolutely no reason to change anything out on what isn't even considered a "mildly" set up/modified car. The cooler your engine is, the less likely it is to operate in the optimum conditions.

A good example is oil coolers. Everyone things "bigger is better". Problem is, you get an oil cooler that is so large that it cools the oil below an optimum tempterature, you may develop issues with shock cooling of parts and large temperature gradients in limited space situations.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:05 PM
On my Fit, the temp. is maintained at a constant 181 degrees f... the only way i had to get it down a bit is to put the heater full way at hot with the fan at 4... with those 20 degrees outside, it allowed the temp. to get doen to something like 175 degrees... not a big deal...

Anyway if you operate your Fit in the most extreme conditions you can do...
-Red Line Watter Wetter...
-1.3 Bar Rad. Cap instead of the Stock 1.1 Bar...
-Better fans...
-Lower temps Thermostat...
-Less coolant in the system if in a somewhat hot climate (60 Water\40 coolant or 70 Water\30 Coolant) as water absorb more heat then glycol...

Marko!!

Last edited by DOHCtor; 10-22-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:28 PM
I don't like water wetter. Tends to sludge up motors. Research it a bit.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by feddup
solbrothers is right. Honda intends for the engine to be that hot. Every Honda I've owned seemed like you could weld over the engine. On my Integra I was blown away that the radiator held 4 quarts and the entire system held five. By the way over at ecomodder they're blocking off some of the Fit's lower air dam to increase temps for mileage. Solbothers I thought you were the scanguage's biggest fan? You have a temp guage if you want one right? I'm still getting one someday!
oh, i DO have a temp gauge if i want, but i was talking about a stock fit

Old 04-07-2009, 12:45 AM
use synthetic oil

has better temp properties

Likely will keep the engine cooler... although I can't site evidence for ya

Old 04-07-2009, 01:08 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
I agree with what some others have already said. unless you're building your fit for track, there is no need to change your cooling system because it is already sufficient.

Last edited by doctordoom; 04-07-2009 at 01:10 AM.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Add a small oil cooler. Oil doesent just lubricate the motor. it also cools it. But like someone mentioned, dont add a HUGE oil cooler. Plus you add oil capacity which also improves cooling. But like its been mentioned, nobody here is smarter than the oem engineers. Spoon stuff is for trak days and occasional racing for modified engines. Theres no need to modify watercooling system for a oem or mild street rod.

Quick Reply: any ideas of keep FIT engine cooler