windows and wipers#$&%@*!(*)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
Angry windows and wipers#$&%@*!(*)

Hang with me thru this, k? My family bought three new cars at once; an '09 Pilot for the wife, '08 CR-V for the new mommy daughter, and an '08 FIT Sport manual for me. Granted the Pilot is going to get nicer bells and whistles than the economy car of the line, but I am SO envious of both other cars intermitent wipers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not only are they adjustable over a pretty wide range of delay, but they are speed sensitive, too!! So if they are going with a longer delay, and you stop for a light, they stop also and pick up when you pull away. Like, why can't we have that. Seriously. I would PAY for someone to perform that mod on MY FIT! I HATE having wipers go all the time, but if they're needed they're needed. I would just like a little more control over them, is all.

And the windows...Why can't we have AUTO up also, as well as down? I don't mind not having the passenger window auto, but with me checking in at the gate every morning at work, and with the construction they are doing at the gate, would be nice to just pull back all the way once, and have the window go all the way back up and stop the snow coming in on my leg, ya know?

No, neither one of these would have stopped me from buying my awesome Blackberry Pearl FIT Sport with manual 5 spd transmission had I put some thought to it beforehand, and they won't make it go faster, or farther on a gallon of gas; just make everyday life just that little bit nicer in my FIT world!

Old 12-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vinnimac
Hang with me thru this, k? My family bought three new cars at once; an '09 Pilot for the wife, '08 CR-V for the new mommy daughter, and an '08 FIT Sport manual for me. Granted the Pilot is going to get nicer bells and whistles than the economy car of the line, but I am SO envious of both other cars intermitent wipers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not only are they adjustable over a pretty wide range of delay, but they are speed sensitive, too!! So if they are going with a longer delay, and you stop for a light, they stop also and pick up when you pull away. Like, why can't we have that. Seriously. I would PAY for someone to perform that mod on MY FIT! I HATE having wipers go all the time, but if they're needed they're needed. I would just like a little more control over them, is all.
I have thought about adding a rheostat, to control the delay better, and have it on-the-list of things to consider doing.

It may not be that difficult.

Good thoughts!

Old 12-04-2008, 01:40 PM
Banned
Vince-
These two items were overlooked in the '09 Fits as well.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Retired Moderator
Whats so hard about controlling the wipers your self? I dont mind turning them off at a stop. Or flipping the the thing up when i feel necessary. They offer complete control when you think about it that way, flip it up it will wipe, so if you want 100% control flip it up when you want a wipe and leave it be when you dont. Is that really hard heh? And Auto windows heh, so you have to hold the button for 5 seconds? I can live.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:13 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
i hear ya tool...but it is really nice having the wiper controls he is talking about. had them on my wife's 05 pilot and it was pretty nice. the window up would be a nice addition as well.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TOOL
Whats so hard about controlling the wipers your self? I dont mind turning them off at a stop. Or flipping the the thing up when i feel necessary. They offer complete control when you think about it that way, flip it up it will wipe, so if you want 100% control flip it up when you want a wipe and leave it be when you dont. Is that really hard heh? And Auto windows heh, so you have to hold the button for 5 seconds? I can live.
i agree, i never used the intermittent wiper setting on my last car because i end up turning it off and on every 15 seconds anyway - there's really zero effort in extending your index finger.

it's like using the lane change signal... assuming everyone uses the lane change signal. my ex-girlfriend got a ticket for a no signal lane change before, i laughed when she told me

Old 12-04-2008, 03:56 PM
My wife has the auto window up option with her after market remote start and security system. She loves it, I could care less.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:41 PM
My VW had auto up on the drivers window, it is soooooo nice to have. Like the man said, it just makes life easier. Maybe you could replace the window switch with one out of a Jetta or New Beetle? I wonder if you could reverse the wires on the OE switch and it would do auto UP instead of down, which is more worthwhile anyway.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:04 PM
It was such a big deal when the 5th gen Civics got intermittent wipers as an option. It was either on or off before that.

IIRC every civic ever since then has the one speed intermittent. Not too sure about the newest generation but I'm certain about all the ones prior.

Since the Fit is a less expensive car, I'm glad it kept that feature!

Old 12-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by vinnimac
And the windows...Why can't we have AUTO up also, as well as down?
I'm working on this. For ALL the windows. My Ridgeline has auto up and it annoys me when I go to auto up the Fit and it doesn't.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:43 PM
HID Addict
Originally Posted by TOOL
Very true, honestly, i could leave it on the slowest setting for BARELY any rain, i could really care less. just leave it on, it moves fast enough to not disrupt your sight too much. and could you really tell if you had inermitment wipers or not? meh... i think you feel bothered by it just because your looking at the wipers and not the road. put it this way... you should be ignoring the wipers save yourself the hassle heh. BUT! i do demand the auto-up button, i drive with just my left hand with the right on the shift knob, i cant drive my right hand, despite im a righty heh and my hands cant move simuntanously... idk... and that is why i demand the damn auto-up switch, does it make sense to kill yourself in an accident because you cant drive with your right hand? remember, it only takes a second to get in an accident

Old 12-04-2008, 07:48 PM
I don't worry about the intermittent either. Rain-X allows me to never use my wipers

Old 12-04-2008, 07:51 PM
HID Addict
Originally Posted by airborne200208
I don't worry about the intermittent either. Rain-X allows me to never use my wipers
what is it with people and damn rain-x, i tried it and it turned hazy

Old 12-04-2008, 08:11 PM
You used too much or didn't buff it long enough after it dried.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:30 PM
I wait 10 minutes, buff; wait 10 mins, buff; wait an hour, buff; done. It seems to take forever to dry.

Want to learn coordination? Drive a forklift! Gas, brake, clutch, shifter, up/down, tilt fwd/back, slide left/right... all at the same time. I do it without thinking so fast people get scared sometimes because they can't keep up mentally with what I'm doing so they can't predict where I'm going.

Gosh, I get in the fit and it's like, man all I gotta do is drive but I need forks to move that slow Chevy out of the way!

Old 12-04-2008, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member
The rain-x buffing got me down. I've been using Rain Shield for the last 10 years and almost never have my wipers on past low or med delay. Apply it when you need it (during rain), so never a worry of it being maintained.

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...ld_Coating.htm

Last edited by BMX_dad; 12-04-2008 at 11:01 PM. Reason: deleted bad image link
Old 12-04-2008, 11:18 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
i <3 rain-x

Old 12-05-2008, 06:11 AM
HID Addict
Originally Posted by polaski
I wait 10 minutes, buff; wait 10 mins, buff; wait an hour, buff; done. It seems to take forever to dry.

Want to learn coordination? Drive a forklift! Gas, brake, clutch, shifter, up/down, tilt fwd/back, slide left/right... all at the same time. I do it without thinking so fast people get scared sometimes because they can't keep up mentally with what I'm doing so they can't predict where I'm going.

Gosh, I get in the fit and it's like, man all I gotta do is drive but I need forks to move that slow Chevy out of the way!
!! i would love to drive a forklift. well not drive but get in it and w/e. all those controls, oooohwweeeee lol but i do see what you mean about doing it without thinking, thats how i did it back in my martial arts days

Old 12-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Auto up? Sorry dude, but I have a healthy fear of accidental decapitation or severed limbs.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:31 PM
my 07 has an auto-up feature oh, and it also has the feature when it auto-ups and you *accidentally* leave your limb hanging it rolls back down a bit so your limb wont get severed *gasp* lol

Quick Reply: windows and wipers#$&%@*!(*)