2009 Honda Fit Sport zeta hood deflector problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 05:40 PM
Angry 2009 Honda Fit Sport zeta hood deflector problems

I recently purchased the zeta hood deflector for my 2009 Honda Fit Sport. However the 3 metal clips that are used to attach the deflector to the bottom side of the hood appear to be engineered incorrectly.

They do not fit properly (at all) in the middle hole and the 2nd hole from the middle to the right and to the left (skipping a hole on each side). They appear to be engineered for the holes on each side of the middle hole on the underside of the hood - they fit perfectly there.

I was advised to "tap them on with a mallot". However doing this spreads the clip too wide so that it does not align with the hole. Even if it did, the fastening peg would be too short to reach the hole.

When I contacted the distributor in New Jersey they assured me that they have sold hundreds of these kits for the '09 and have not seen this problem.

I am awaiting a second deflector but am willing to bet that this one will have the same problem.

Has anyone faced this problem?

Old 08-27-2009, 06:07 PM
Any pics so that we can help you?

Old 08-27-2009, 08:03 PM
Sorry but I am new to this site... My "posting rules" state that I can not add attachments to a post... I have put some pictures in my album under my profile name. I have also asked the administrator why I can not add attachments to a post. The pictures should show that the clip does not fit properly in the middle hole. The clips do fit properly in the hole to the left & and right of the middle hole but they are not supposed to go there. The hood flars out (is thicker) in the middle hole and the other two holes that the clips are supposed to go in.

Btw. I did buy the zeta hood deflector for my 2008 honda fit sport at the same time and it fit perfectly...

Sorry for my naivety on how to use this site...any and all help is appreciated.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:34 AM
Administrator
5 Year Member
send me a link to the pics and I will post them for you

Old 08-29-2009, 10:21 AM
Pictures of zeta hood defector clip problem

Here are some pics of the clips for the 2009 Honda Fit Sport zeta hood deflector.

Picasa Web Albums - delfrommgen - 2009-08-27-18...#

The second pic in the album shows three holes on the underside of the hood. The clips are suppossed to go into the middle hole but not in each hole directly to the left and right of middle. Notice how the hood is thicker at the middle hole than the other two holes.

The third pic shows the clips in the middle hole and the hole directly to the left and right of middle (even though they should not go there). Notice how the clips align perfectly on the second and third hole but not the middle hole.

The 4th pic shows the exterior view of the problem. Yes you can try to tap in the middle clip but it only spreads the clip and the bottom hole does not align with the hole on the hood and even if it did the pins supplied would not be long enough to reach it.

The 5th pic shows the exterior view of the same problem with the clips in the second hole to the left and right of the center hole - the holes that they are supposed to go in. The hood is thicker at these holes just like it is for the middle hole.

It looks to me like these clips were designed improperly and were made for the wrong holes.

Has anyone else installed the zeta hood deflector on the 2009 Fit Sport?

Btw I also purchased a zeta deflector for my 2008 at the same time and this version fit perfectly.

Thanks.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:11 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
Old 08-30-2009, 07:32 PM
I'm sorry but please look at my clips on my pics. They do not fit on the correct holes on the 2009 Fit Sport (American)...Something is amiss...I have tried flipping the clips upside down but same result... Please I still need help... Thanks, FwF

Old 08-30-2009, 08:16 PM
I'm in the same boat, clips don't fit right at all. Flipping between yours and manxman's pics from his diy, the bottom of the hood certainly seems to be constructed differently. I also have the US Sport. I emailed Zeta thinking they sent me 07-08 clips or something by mistake; I'll email them again with links to the two pics and post here if/when they reply.

Brand new member btw, joined just to post to this topic :P

Old 08-31-2009, 03:35 PM
Update from Zeta:

"We have been instructed by the manufacturer not to sell the 2009 version until some design issues have been resolved. I have been instructed to return all the parts I have in stock. I will send you a UPS electronic call tag and once we get your deflector, we will process a refund to you. I will notify you once we have fresh stock. I am very sorry for the inconvenience. I will be in touch."

So that's that. Now I have to get the stuck-on rubber parts off my hood somehow.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:23 PM
Former Vendor
Sorry about that. I have sold tons of these deflectors with not problems. I emailed my contact at Focus Auto about a couple of potential problems and I guess they are playing it safe. Hope to have the replacement stock as soon as possible.

In the meantime, try some dental floss or thin fishing line to separate the bumpers from the hood. Then use auto adhesive remover to get the residue off. Again, sorry for everything.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:03 PM
Thanks for all of the replies and it is nice to hear that I am not the only one facing this problem.

I will be sending mine back as well and will be waiting for a solution that will work. I am not upset with the support that I have receive from Zeta (Angelo). I just want a product that will fit properly and work.

The 2008 Zeta hood deflector - that I purchased at the same time - fit perfectly and looks great.

I will be waiting for a design correction on the '09 model and may try it again.

Thanks to all...

FwF

Old 09-02-2009, 09:48 AM
Former Vendor
2009 Fit Hood Deflector Installation Issue Solved

Good Day All:

There have had some complaints by customers who purchased a 2009 Hood Deflector from us. Some customers had problems with the installation of the mounting clips on the edge of the hood. I alerted the manufacturer (Focus Auto Design), who by the way is the OEM supplier to Honda Canada, and this is what they had to say:
------------------------------

Angelo

We have just returned from the Honda dealer investigating the fit of our metal brackets on the 09-up Honda Fit. We measured and installed the mounting brackets on 4 vehicles (all mounting locations) with no issues. As I suspected the extra thickness of the under hood sealant on your customers car is giving him trouble. We spoke with the service manager at our dealer and he suggested they only had issue with installation on one vehicle as it pertains to the hood sealant. He said they “trimmed” the sealant and concluded the installation. This particular dealer installs quite a few of these parts.

At this point we will not be changing any of the components on this application or notifying Honda Canada as to any potential issues. You could advise your customers to trim the sealant to facilitate the installation if needed. The sealant can be cut with w knife as it is soft, however this is not for a fussy owner as you cut into the paint by doing so. Yes the holes will line up.

Please advise Thanks
Grant

Focus Auto Design Inc

-----------------------------------
As is stands now, we will again start selling the '09 version and will include an note about the sealant. Hope this helps.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
By Hood Sealant, do you mean the clear
coat?
I think some pictures are in order, so
we know just where you want us to
start scraping on our cars.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Former Vendor
The sealant is on the under side of the hood just in front of the holes. You can feel it with your fingernail.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:13 PM
I can definitely feel the bead of soft material there on the edge of the hood. I suppose if we were to do this, we'd want to go back over afterwards with touchup paint to avoid exposing the sheet metal?

Old 09-03-2009, 09:06 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by baconsandwich
I can definitely feel the bead of soft material there on the edge of the hood. I suppose if we were to do this, we'd want to go back over afterwards with touchup paint to avoid exposing the sheet metal?
Good point! You could cover it back up with paint to protect it.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:42 PM
I received another deflector from Zeta products. I removed the Honda hood sealant on the three holes where the clips are installed. I did not repaint but was careful not to scratch through to the metal.

Everything installed fine and the deflector looks good.

I would recommend applying a coat of wax prior to installing anything and again after you wipe the excess adhesive additive from the two side stick on pads (you might want to have a little extra alcohol on hand) and before you attach the deflector. This will be the last time that you will be able to wax here - unless you remove the deflector.

Zeta products did include a label on my shipment warning that you may need to cut and remove the sealant on the underside of the hood. This was a nice added touch.

I would like to thank all who replied and especially Angelo from Zeta products for his prompt service and attention to this matter. I would definitely recommend purchases from Zeta.

Thanks!

FwF

Old 09-17-2009, 09:07 AM
Former Vendor
Thanks for the post and I am glad everything worked out. Have a great day!