tiny piece of gravel hit windshield

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Unhappy tiny piece of gravel hit windshield

I work in an industrial complex. barley had this car for 3 weeks. This truck was turning in and a piece of gravel flew out from its wheel. The thing hit a part of the windshield and made a small, white needle sized mark on the window. It didnt spider out or anything. just a white speck.

I was able to scratch the white reside off with my fingernail but there is still a slight, barley noticeable mark there. My friend tells me i should have a mechanic check it out so it doesn't expand into a real crack and then shatter the whole windshield. what do you think?

Old 05-06-2010, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
Go see an autoglass place and see if they can fix it.

I had one hit mine, but they said it wouldn't spread and they thought I shouldn't bother with it--

Might be your case as well

Old 05-06-2010, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
i would go just in case. It cant hurt and you wouldnt want it to spread into something bigger.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah might as well check it out and see...That's what I did because I was scared.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
I got two cracks on my windshield from two tiny pebbles which were kicked up by big rigs. Luckily my insurance included an auto glass repair service in my policy. Only had to pay $100 for a brand new windshield.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
thats a good policy. $100 for a new windshield. Not sure if my policy covers that.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by score04w
thats a good policy. $100 for a new windshield. Not sure if my policy covers that.
Hell yeah! Without that in my policy, I was looking at around $500 for a new windshield. Fuck that.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
yeah that's a rip off, gotta find my policy or look it up. interested in seeing if im covered if this ever happens.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by score04w
yeah that's a rip off, gotta find my policy or look it up. interested in seeing if im covered if this ever happens.
Yeah man, it doesn't hurt to ask. Hopefully your policy covers broken/cracked windshields.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
You can pick up a glass repair kit for like $12. I've used one before on a small chip and it worked great.

Originally Posted by JDMxGE8
I got two cracks on my windshield from two tiny pebbles which were kicked up by big rigs. Luckily my insurance included an auto glass repair service in my policy. Only had to pay $100 for a brand new windshield.
There is a possible problem with using that service. Right now, it saves you money and your insurance rates won't go up. However, let's say you theoretically have an accident six months from now. When you make that claim, your insurance company will view that as having made two claims in the last six months, the windshield and the accident. That's when they hit you with the increase in premiums.

I'm not saying you shouldn't take advantage of that service, but it could potentially cost you down the road. Just something to consider if the chip is really small.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
In florida we get a new windsheild for free if something hits it.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Thanks guys. I dont notice it that bunch, but you got me thinking.

I think what ill first do is see what the specifics are on my insurance. ie. if they cover it or not, will my rates go up, how much do i pay, etc.

The seconds thing ill try is take it into a mechanic. If its too much $$ i'll opt for one of those repair kits and try to fix it myself if it's that bad.

florida? free? wish i was there. Im in NY. I doubt ill have much luck with that.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:37 AM
5 Year Member
In only a year I've got at least six stone chips in the Fit windshield (tiny-1/32 inch or so), and no idea how any of them happened. I don't remember anything hitting the windshield, but there they are. I also have SCRATCHES in the rear glass from cleaning it. I've never seen such soft window glass in my entire life.

I'm not sure how small a chip those repair kits are meant for.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:42 AM
If you carry comprehensive coverage on your policy you're covered. Even if you have a deductible under comprehensive you might have free glass coverage. Check your policy. If not quite sure, check with your agent.

It's possible the small pit might not be a problem now but if it should expand that's the time to call your insurance company for a replacement.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dewthedew
In florida we get a new windsheild for free if something hits it.
There's no free lunch. Somebody is paying. I'm assuming that Florida requires full window glass coverage on your auto insurance. I have that too, but with two insurance claims in the past year, I'm thinking at this point it will be cheaper to pay it out of pocket if I have to replace a windshield than risk having my insurer drop me for too many claims.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I'm thinking at this point it will be cheaper to pay it out of pocket if I have to replace a windshield than risk having my insurer drop me for too many claims.
Talk to your insurance agent. I worked for two different companies handling insurance claims for 25 years and neither of them would raise rates because of a comprehensive claim.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:28 AM
5 Year Member
Dang! Rock hit my windshield last night and left a tiny crack too.

Gonna check if my insurance will cover it too. Hope so. Gonna check out those repair kits too.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by whaap
Talk to your insurance agent. I worked for two different companies handling insurance claims for 25 years and neither of them would raise rates because of a comprehensive claim.
I was going to say, it would be kind of silly if you insurance premium went up due to a windshield claim. I know on my insurance it's considered a minor claim and does not count as a hit towards premium rates going up.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:37 AM
Cool Just at 10K...

And have 3 chips in the windshield, with only one being noticeable by most people. Called the insurance company because they used to repair the star chips so they would not have to buy a windshield. They no longer do this and wanted to set up an appointment for me to have it fixed on my dime.

I told them no thanks, I would rather have a new windshield and wait for it to break and pay the deductible. The price of fixing this at a glass shop was ridiculous, so I ordered a kit off Amazon and will try fixing it myself.

I will let you know how it goes. Good thing is that it is on the passenger side, so it doesn't bother me as much.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
A lot would depend on the size of the damage. You might have it checked out, but if it's really, really small? At most I'd think of repair...certainly not entire windshield replacement.

If you work in an industrial complex the bad news is your likely to get more. The huge aerodynamic sloping windshield of The Fit is a magnet for chips. Do any significant amount of freeway driving and your likely to get some.

I actually got a very small chip in my windshield, going out to the dealership to have the accesories I purchased installed, less than a few days after purchase. It bummed me out at the time, but it is so small, I can't even see it now...

If it's small enough? I'd just ignore it, even if your instincts with a brand new car are OMG! I must have this fixed. Chips to a degree are inevitable, it's just judging the damage and/or potential damage. If nobody thinks it's likely to spread? I wouldn't sweat it...

Quick Reply: tiny piece of gravel hit windshield