Advice Please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Advice Please!

Hello everyone,

I am new to the site and hope you can help. I was recently laid-off from my job, I support myself and don't have a lot of $$ for a car repair right now, so I was hoping to possibly get a diagnosis here. There are a ton of repairs my brother-in-law is capable of handling, I just don't want to get a brake job and find I still have the problem.

I have a 2007 Sport Fit with 49,000.00 miles. No repairs or replaced parts since I drove her off the showroom floor. Oil changes and a set of tires were all she's needed. Now I have a horrible squeaking sound from what sounds like the driver side front tire, though it's hard to tell. If I were to describe it to a mechanic I would say it sounds like a metal on metal rubbing. It stops when I hit the brakes, while the car is just idling (at a stop or red light) So, I guess it's only when the car is moving. It does NOT, however, make the noise all the time. I can go miles and miles and miles before I hear it again. I would describe it as a quieter fan belt noise...not as loud and much higher pitched. I suspected the brakes, and while they may need pads soon, the noise is no worse and seems to actually not happen when I hit the brakes? I can't afford an unnecessary repair at this time. Do dealers give you a free estimate and diagnosis? Thank you!!!
Michelle

Old 03-06-2011, 01:11 PM
It sounds to me like front pads. Easy to pull a wheel and give a look at the pad wear by looking at the brake caliper.

Is the noise related to turning in any way? Quick left to right turns on a straight run. Might possibly be a bearing going. Depending on your B-I-L's skill level he might possibly attach it, but that really depends.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:23 PM
I'm not sure about the "turning" question. I'll have to take her for a spin and see....I think the noise stops when I turn sharply. It's raining today and with the wipers and downpour it's hard to hear anything at all. I had initially thought it was the pads, seeing how I have close to 50K...but, like I said, the noise is no worse and seems to actually stop when I apply the brakes. Thank you very much....I'll do some more diagnosis cruisin to better answer your question....

Old 03-06-2011, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like the brake pad wear indicators to me. See page 161 of your owners manual. You probably need front brake pads.

Last edited by spreadhead; 03-06-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
brake pad indicators should continue to make noise when the driver gets on the brakes.

it could be something as simple as a rock/pebble stuck between the rotor and the dust shield (thin metal) by the inside face of the rotor. this has happened to a lot of other drivers on this forum, including myself. sounds like something on the car is grinding and damaged, but turns out to be no big problem.

you can gently pry the shield and see if a pebble or something falls out, or, reversing the car for 10-20 feet does the trick sometimes too. hopefully that solves your problem - $0 repair haha

Old 03-06-2011, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
brake pad indicators should continue to make noise when the driver gets on the brakes.
not necessary, if you step on it harder enough, the indicator wouldn't make noise... it only does it usually when light braking or when it drags a bit.

it can also be the rust on the rotors.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:24 PM
I just wanted to let all of you know, who have responded and helped me, that it is the front brake pads. According to my most trusted mechanic, the pad indicators will make noise at all times and not necessarily just when you apply the brakes.

I hope this helps someone in the future. I much appreciate all your help! Thanks Fit Friends

Old 03-07-2011, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
Not true, it will only make noise if it make contacts with the rotor... where else do you think the noise come front, the indicator itself can't make any noise alone.

Like i said, if you caliper is not sticking and the caliper pin is smooth enough the pad can retract back and the indicator won't be touching the rotor... thus, no noise.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Bingo! Glad to have helped and that your problem has been solved.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Good call K_C

Originally Posted by codenamezero
Not true, it will only make noise if it make contacts with the rotor... where else do you think the noise come front, the indicator itself can't make any noise alone.

Like i said, if you caliper is not sticking and the caliper pin is smooth enough the pad can retract back and the indicator won't be touching the rotor... thus, no noise.
While I agree that a seized slide pin or piston can cause a very annoying high pitched squeak, the OPs saying that it was in fact his pads.. and that the problem has been resolved.

Floating pads can do this too when they are wearing unevenly. Same reason some very observant folks can notice a click when going from reverse to drive.