JDM Fit RS vs. USDM Fit Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 10:08 PM
JDM Fit RS vs. USDM Fit Sport

Aside from the six speed with mariginally different ratios (or the available CVT), and of course the exterior design, what are the differences mechanically?

Old 01-31-2013, 10:20 PM
None

Old 02-01-2013, 01:49 AM
Cool Legit RS Badge

So any U.S. Fit Sport owner, or even most of the base owners, could legitimately rep the RS badges and not be "faking it" in terms of serious mechanical differences. The only thing separating American owners from Japanese RS owners is the 6MT/CVT and the frontal crash zone.

Last edited by Praxis; 02-01-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:03 AM
The base doesn't have a integrated RSB like the sport and the RS.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by Praxis
So any U.S. Fit Sport owner, or even most of the base owners, could legitimately rep the RS badges and not be "faking it"
That's debatable.

Not a huge fan of this unless you finish the whole conversion. Although i've been guilty of doing similar in the past I guess tastes change with age.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
That's debatable.

Not a huge fan of this unless you finish the whole conversion. Although i've been guilty of doing similar in the past I guess tastes change with age.
+1. Badges without a reason is just tacky, but that's just my 2 cents.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:02 AM
Cool

That's debatable.

This is a totally legitimate point of view, but if there isn't any discernible difference between the Fit Sport and the JDM Fit RS, then repping the RS badge is totally genuine. Aside from the cosmetic differences and the totally unfeasible 6MT conversion, there isn't any reason why a USDM Sport owner couldn't argue they are driving an "RS".

I'd love to see some elaboration on why this wouldn't be true, and furthermore, a marginally detailed explanation on what would constitute a real RS, but the rebuttals here haven't shown that.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:13 AM
Unique Cosmetics, and a different drivetrain, and you still need more reasons?

Say I have a type R swap but I'm only using a LS tranny. Would people be wrong to think I'm tacky if I rocked a type R badge? By your definition I am technically a type R then. Minus the drivetrain, and type R cosmetics.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by Cocowheat
Unique Cosmetics, and a different drivetrain, and you still need more reasons?
Frankly, yes.

I've looked at the gearing of the RS vs. the USDM Sport, and the differences are negligible. The engine output is precisely the same. Even worse, the USDM Sport might actually out-accelerate the JDM RS in a straight line. So besides the stupid cosmetics argument, what makes an RS an RS instead of a Sport? I want details, not just exterior design quibbles (which offer little mechanical advantage) or the obvious 6MT vs. 5MT argument. In theory, the U.S. Sport is more of an RS than the JDM RS is.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:22 AM
To answer your question though, badges to me, represent which model rolled of my dealer lot.

By slapping an OE badge, and trying to represent a model you're not is to me, very tacky. Only exception is if you did it with exceptional attention to detail.

That's just my view though, obviously you're entitle to think and do whatever you wish with your vehicle, just thought I'd share.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:33 AM
Originally Posted by Cocowheat
To answer your question though, badges to me, represent which model rolled of my dealer lot.
I totally agree with this view, which is why I created this topic. But what confounds me is whether there is any legitimate MECHANICAL difference between the Fit Sport and the JDM Fit RS. If there isn't any, I'm content to believe any stock Sport owner could slap on an RS badge and be even more legit than an actual JDM RS owner. I'm sticking by that argument until somebody, anybody, could show me a spring rate difference, a suspension setup, anything other than cosmetics which separates the RS from the Sport.

This isn't what I'm intending with my future upgrades, though. I don't think I'm legit if I slap on a badge and nothing else without some sort of minimal mechanical upgrade, which I'm planning on but all in due time (just purchased my Raspberry Blue a week ago ). But until then, as pedantic as it may sound, I want to get more details on any legitimate, real mechanical differences between the RS and the Sport. Until I do, I'm content to believe there are none, and the Sport is in fact an RS minus the cosmetic design and the 6MT.

Thanks for your responses. However, I don't think you gave me any reason to believe there is a serious difference between the two.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:36 AM
I'm not sure on the details myself, but they might have a different suspension set up. Such a spring rate and such. did the RS have rear disc?

And with most Hondas there really isn't a lot that sets submodels apart. I'm sure there really arn't much differences say a civic EX vs a LX or ect. Again it's mainly cosmetic, and option add ons that really differentiate submodels.

I'm also very surprise as to why they don't give the RS the AWD configuration.

Last edited by Cocowheat; 02-03-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:44 AM
According to sgcarmart.com (I know, I know, dubious resource), they have front discs and rear drums. So far, I have yet to find any credible resources on specs, especially regarding spring rates or suspension setup.

AWD adds weight, reduces turn in, negating the Fit's inherent advantage in maneuverability. The demand for AWD vs. the weight and the drag on handling/acceleration strikes me as a bad trade-off without some substantial increase in power.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:47 AM
Good points.

Although I think the best guy to ask is 555sexydrive I believe his was an RS

Old 02-03-2013, 12:50 AM
I wish more automakers would go whole hog on RWD, but this simply will not happen so long as owners put a premium on all-weather handling and interior space. A Fit RWD would be awesome but would require a complete redesign with a likely reduction in interior cargo space and rear seat leg room.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:02 AM
It is especially odd that the JDM RS has 100 pound weight advantage on the Fit Sport, due to shorter length (less sheet metal) and fewer safety features, along with a shorter first gear (and an additional gear altogether), yet it loses in a drag race with the sport at least to 60 mph. I don't get that at all, unless the RS completely blows the Sport out of the water in top speed, which doesn't seem to be any advantage at all.

The more I look at the RS, the more I'm happy to live in the U.S. There is so much hype for this car on the understandable belief that foreigners tend to get hotter models than what we get here. But that has changed in a big way over the last 10-15 years. Subaru now offers a full turbo WRX along with an STi which outruns their foreign counterparts. BMW finally got their act together in offering full power M models in the U.S. Mitsubishi brought the Evo after years of pretending like it didn't exist. There is no discernible reason to expect with these market changes that the foreign Fit RS is any better, or faster, than a Fit Sport in America.

I'm sure there is an argument to be made in the other direction, and I'd love to hear it. But there doesn't seem to be any information I have the ability to acquire which allows me to understand what advantage the RS has over the Sport.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:09 AM
Something which might be relevant to our discussion here:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...da-fit-rs.html

Old 02-04-2013, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
check these threads
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...omparison.html
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...t-ewwwwww.html

Can't recall if it was those threads or buried in a different thread, but the general consensus was that the JDM RS is pretty much just like the USDM Sport (generally speaking). They both have the L15, which is not available in other countries. But there's still many differences... the JDM RS and pretty much all Fit's/Jazz's have rear discs, except for the USDM & Canadian models... Mexico has rear discs. The JDM RS obviously has the 6speed MT available, and here we only get 5, and the gearing is different. JDM/USDM bumper differences. The JDM RS has auto climate, auto-fold side mirrors, leather option, smart key (might be only on lux package), etc, etc, etc., etc....

The AWD version of the Fit is known as the XH (also a 1.5)
15XH | タイプ・価格 | フィット | Honda

all the Fit variants below
タイプ・価格 | フィット | Honda

Old 02-04-2013, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Praxis
There is no discernible reason to expect with these market changes that the foreign Fit RS is any better, or faster, than a Fit Sport in America.
And after all this you're still not proud to have a USDM Fit? Do you just want to be "JDM" so you want to slap on some RS badges?

Eff that I say.

Do full JDM conversion interior, exterior and mechanical, than put on RS badge. Don't forget to convert to RHD. That would be novel and cool.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:31 PM
Cool American Pride

And after all this you're still not proud to have a USDM Fit? Do you just want to be "JDM" so you want to slap on some RS badges?
I never said that. The badge has nothing to do with JDM envy, which as I said is really for no good reason. I'm proud of the Fit Sports which I argue are better cars all around (except for the 6MT). I am interested in the badge for my future design enhancement, for totally vain reasons. I like the exterior design of the US Sports much better than the RS, but the badge looks sportier and matches a sporty profile much better than a plain or debadged Fit. That's just my personal taste. Don't judge me, man!

The JDM RS bumpers are horrendously ugly, IMO. But an RS badge distinguishes a modded Fit in a nice way, so long as it is, you know, actually modded somewhat mechanically.

There is no way I am going to drop over five grand to make a JDM RS, even if it would be unique. Plus, driving RHD on roads for LHD is dangerous and insane.

Quick Reply: JDM Fit RS vs. USDM Fit Sport