General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Remote starting and manual trans?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
Remote starting and manual trans?

Dealer said he could install remote starting on a new Fit. Can that be done on a manual transmission or only on an automatic?

thanks,

Old 03-12-2007, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Etrsi_645
Dealer said he could install remote starting on a new Fit. Can that be done on a manual transmission or only on an automatic?

thanks,
It can be done... Need to bypass the clutch sensor or something
but me friend have it on an manual Acura Integra.

Philippe

Old 03-12-2007, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
If the dealer is doing it they are going to tell you it needs to be on a automatic. To much legal junk on a manual... I have an aftermarket one on a manual trans from JTi with remote start and alarm system. It works great. you're going to need a transponder by-pass also.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:11 AM
Allow me to pee on this idea for your manual transmission....One evening after a wonderful birthday dinner out, the wife and I are enjoying a glass of wine in the living room.
We at first do not really notice the car that started down the street, however the noise was getting louder and louder.
Soon the vehicle noise had me looking towards the front door thinking what the heck!!
Then in the words of Steve Matchett...KA BLAMO! Honda civic up the front steps through the paver planter boxes through front glass storm door and smashing into the interior door!
By this time I had approached the front door to see what the ruckus was but was retreating due to the grinding and banging sounds that were slamming into the front door shaking the whole house!
After what seemed like a very long time the noise suddenly stopped!

I went and opened the door to find the Honda Civic that was attacking my
front door was finally dead.

The short story... kid down the street used his remote starter and did not realize his manual tranny was in first. Car started and ran down hill at high idle running over a phone junction box, electrical conduit box blowing a transformer, road sign, street light pole and up an embankment up my front steps damaging my home. Costs for this little episode...over 100k!

Kids statement to the police, "I almost never leave my car in gear"!

Hmmm..."Too much legal junk"? I beg to differ!

Last edited by none; 03-13-2007 at 07:16 AM.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member
wow, that is some story

Old 03-13-2007, 10:48 AM
Irresponsible kids aside, remote start on a manual just seems like a bad idea.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by WhatFreshHell
Irresponsible kids aside, remote start on a manual just seems like a bad idea.
Don't mean to come across as the kid being irresponsible, heck I've turned the key a few times in my manuals thinking I was in neutal.
It's just plain and simple as you put it, a bad idea to have the remote start on the manual transmission!

Old 03-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Retired Moderator
Good MT car starters have lots of safety features. I had this on my Protege 5. To arm the remote starter, you have to be in neutral, clutch let out, and then turn off the car. You can then take out the key while the engine is running; the engine will remain running until you open your door, grab all the stuff you need, and then close all of the doors on the car. Once that is done, the car will stop and will arm the alarm if you get a remote starter+alarm combo. This way, you cannot leave the car in gear and activate your remote starter. If you unlock the car before using the starter, the starter will not work because it is not sure if you got in the car and put it in gear. I had the Compustar 2WSS on my Protege 5, and I got the alarm only 2WSS for my Fit as I don't require one anymore. It's safe if you get the good ones...

Old 03-13-2007, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
I had a compustar alarm on my MT CRX and it worked great. The feature is very well thought out. In addition to the above post, if you disarm your car (eg to get something out) it will cancel your autostart setting so you can't accidently leave it in gear, arm it then later start it. As soon as you tap the break it will also shut the car down if you don't go through the regular motions of starting your car after you disarm it.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:52 PM
I'm glad to hear there are quality and safe options for this setup for those who are interested.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
To summarize: what is being said is:
  1. yes, you can get remote starting on a manual transmission.
  2. a dealer will probably tell you no, they cannot do it.
  3. some products are not well thought out and can be an extreme hazard. (shouldn't some government agency not permit that?).

So, where can one find the proper very safe products for this? And how much does purchase and installation cost?

thanks,

Old 03-15-2007, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
You can go to Welcome to Compustar.com by Firstech LLC. to locate an authorized installer. When you have it done at an authorized installer, you get lifetime warranty on the workmanship of the installation I believe. Parts are 1 year though. They are not cheap alarms. I had mine installed for around $500 CDN in my CRX a few years back.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:36 PM
It's also illegal in most states...

Old 03-15-2007, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
moderators, please merge this with a post from last june

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...tarter-mt.html

I have remote start on my Civic Si, and it works the same way- you have to engage the remote start in the car in neutral and pull the key out with the motor running, then arm the car, which kills the motor as it locks the door. Nearly a fool proof way of never having your car in gear.

I have a Clifford alarm, BTW.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:46 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by none
Allow me to pee on this idea for your manual transmission....One evening after a wonderful birthday dinner out, the wife and I are enjoying a glass of wine in the living room.
We at first do not really notice the car that started down the street, however the noise was getting louder and louder.
Soon the vehicle noise had me looking towards the front door thinking what the heck!!
Then in the words of Steve Matchett...KA BLAMO! Honda civic up the front steps through the paver planter boxes through front glass storm door and smashing into the interior door!
By this time I had approached the front door to see what the ruckus was but was retreating due to the grinding and banging sounds that were slamming into the front door shaking the whole house!
After what seemed like a very long time the noise suddenly stopped!

I went and opened the door to find the Honda Civic that was attacking my
front door was finally dead.

The short story... kid down the street used his remote starter and did not realize his manual tranny was in first. Car started and ran down hill at high idle running over a phone junction box, electrical conduit box blowing a transformer, road sign, street light pole and up an embankment up my front steps damaging my home. Costs for this little episode...over 100k!

Kids statement to the police, "I almost never leave my car in gear"!

Hmmm..."Too much legal junk"? I beg to differ!
I can imagine why it's illegal for manual. Manual if its in gear, it will run like an electric car. And electric motors have that wall smashing torque.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:45 AM
So I'm looking at about $500 for a remote start/alarm for a 2010 Fit Sport MT?
Is it illegal in IL to have these installed?
The idea of not having a remote start in winter makes me want to curl up into the fetal position and cry.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Subliminal Element
The idea of not having a remote start in winter makes me want to curl up into the fetal position and cry.
What is this country coming too?

Old 06-03-2010, 11:20 AM
i love college
ive never had a remote starter. i just wear a jacket.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Subliminal Element
The Fit warms up pretty fast. We had a brutal winter out here on the prairie. By the time we'd get the car cleaned off or shoveled the snow back from the garage door, the car would be good to go.

What I'd really like is to figure out how to melt the snow from my 500-foot-long drive out to the road. Or maybe someone will come up with a snow plow attachment for the Fit.

Cheers.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SportMTNavi
The Fit warms up pretty fast. We had a brutal winter out here on the prairie. By the time we'd get the car cleaned off or shoveled the snow back from the garage door, the car would be good to go.

What I'd really like is to figure out how to melt the snow from my 500-foot-long drive out to the road. Or maybe someone will come up with a snow plow attachment for the Fit.

Cheers.
Pave/repave your driveway. Add a heating element under one of the layers. You can have it powered by solar panels or hooked up to your home electrical (do both, solar for some free energy, home electrical for when there's no sun). The more advance option is to include sensors for automatic activation, or simply have a switch in your home.

Yes, no matter how you slice it, it'll costs you. Moreso for that distance.

Quick Reply: Remote starting and manual trans?