General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit Si or Type R

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 03:16 AM
5 Year Member
Fit Si or Type R

Note that back in the day, Honda made an Si of every goddamn thing imaginable: Civic, Del Sol, and the beloved CRX. Why stop? For performance goers like me who love the Fit but would like it to have some more 'oomph,' we could totally use another trim level dedicated to performance. The Fit sport is to the Fit base as the Corolla S is to the Corolla; basically just a bunch of nonessential esthetic junk. Where's the real 'sport' Honda? And thus, i present the Fit Si!

The Fit can use a diet:
Really, does this car need to be 2500lbs? I don't think so. If Honda can get the JDM CTR down to 2800bls then they an get the Fit down to about 2300-2400lbs. Its totally possible! Toyota did it with the yaris hatch (2200lbs) and the JDM fit is just a little of 2300lbs!

Better Brakes:
I don't expect everyone to have this problem, but I fried two sets of brakes in 10k miles. This is mostly due to hard driving, I admit. Very often I do hard runs in the canyon and its known to be very stressful on the brakes. Although I believe Honda should just put brembo's on this car, stronger calipers and 11" discs in the front will do. Also, discs in the rear are a must (since that's one of the distinguishing traits of an Si/SiR/TypeR)

Stiffer Chassis:
Although USDM Si trim levels or even JDM SiR trim levels don't feature the stiffer chassis treatment of the Type R's, It wouldn't hurt to have the Fit's chassis reinforced a bit for more structural rigidity. I'm not saying that it should be taken off the line and then spot welded by hand, but just have some more structural braces designed into the car's mold.

Torsion Beam:
Ok Honda...what the f**k??? Torsion Beam rear suspension? Have you lost it? i will give it to you that this car handles extremely well for what the suspension set up is and I also understand that this set up was probably used as a cost saving measure, but this has got to go. I mean look at this: 1992-2000 Civics all had dbl wishbone front AND rear! So did the integra's and the accords! now they're all using Mcpherson struts. good god, if i there was never a definition of down grading, you guys have sure gone and defined it. regardless, torsion beam brings us alllllll the way back to the CRX days. That's two decades ago, Honda. Although paying attention to the pattern of Si's of yesteryear, this won't change in with the Si trim. But one can hope

No freakin Sunroof!
This is where i expect to have a bunch of ppl disagree with me, but sunroofs are a serious hinderance to performance. Atleast have an option to opt out of having one. These are the reasons, for those that don't understand why performance and sunroofs don't go together: Not only is it more weight (with the glass and the motor and all the weather proofing necessary) but it also sacrifices structural rigidity and creates a higher center of graivity. Ultimately, sunroofs hurt handling performance. Though most may say this is negligable, i say we could do without one. It'll also help keep the cost of this car down.

K20 please!
First, i'll admit now that i'm heavily biased towards this motor since i've had a K-swaped EK hatch and that thing was DAMN FUN! I can only imagine how much fun a K20 Fit would be. If they did do this, it'd have to have LSD or else i'll have to post another one of these rants and bitch at honda. Ok, so if i leave my bias at the door, I'd say that this car needs a motor that puts out atleast 100hp per liter with real i-Vtec (none of this Single cam economy VTEC crap) with a 8,000rpm redline and a close ratio six speed transmission with an LSD. Honestly though, even the R18 with a six speed with no LSD would make me happy.

Everything else:
Aesthetically, i really don't care. I'm a go-before-show kind of guy and the Si Fit could look the same as the Sport for all I care. In my opinion, the Si could replace that trim altogether, but i know that wouldn't fly. Well, JDM honda has about 5 different trim levels for the Fit, i think they can handle having three for the US market. The interior would have all those subtle Si touches, but nothing flashy. The seats could just be a little bit more bolstered and have red stitching. Wheels will remain 15" and the car will sit a little lower for a more aggresive stance. THe price would have to be around $17k-18k. Most of the stuff they can just dig out of their extensive parts big and save money, but i understand that there's going to be some reengineering involved. an $18k high end Fit. I think there'd be a market for it. Think about it honda, what else is in this price range offering the versitility of a Fit and the performance of an Si? Nothing! For once, you'd have an entire market to yourself. I understand that honda thinks that this car may be too hardcore for the American market and that hot hatches have already been proven to fail in the US in the past. But I believe the times have changed, take a look around you. MS3 is essentially a 5 door and so is the new upcoming Subaru Sti and Mitsu was about to bring over a 5 door Evo. Plus, the hot hatches that failed in the US market are the 3 door hatches, and look at how well the 3 door Yaris is selling! Are you just going to sit idle as Toyota conquers yet another market? Screw those lowest-common-denominator bastards, send them back to the drawing board with the Fit Si and appease the call of performance enthusiasts around the world (this car can go global, i don't mind ^_^) Plus, if you're afraid of eating away at your own sales, just bring the CTR over here as the ultimate trim level above the Civic Si.

then after this car comes out, I think honda should release a Fit-Spec R to include Brembo's, Spot weld chassis, aluminum roof, K20A, stripped out interior, 2400lbs, aluminum suspension (with Mcpherson in the rear atleast) and a red black interior.

*sigh* i wish i could work for honda. I'd make sure this car and several others are made even if it gets me fired.

Last edited by gotfitted; 10-29-2007 at 03:51 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:41 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
lol i think it's pretty unlikely they would make a fit with all those changes for performance. but i wish too, that'd be cool

Old 10-29-2007, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
lol i think it's pretty unlikely they would make a fit with all those changes for performance. but i wish too, that'd be cool
yea, i know. I'm going to try and build my own, just you watch...

Old 10-29-2007, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
Not ever gonna happen...Believe me, I think it would be awesome...but its not ever never ever ever gonna happen. Why in the world would they put a K20 in a Fit? They have the Civic Si sedan and coupe. Hmmm a lighter equally powered car vs. a heavier one? The civic would loose sales. Dreams are nice, but thats all they are...

Old 10-29-2007, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
did the CRX si eat away at the civic si's sales? the civic may suffer some loses, but there's people out there that would rather take a coupe/sedan over a hatch regardless of performance. Think of it as like the MS3 and the MS6, the MS3 is lighter and is a 5 door hatch and the MS6 is heavier with awd and is a larger sedan. Both share the same motor.

Cup half full guys, not half empty.

Last edited by gotfitted; 10-29-2007 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:57 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
The Civic line was the only Line of Honda (with the exception of the Prelude) That ever carried the Si badge. the CRX and Del Sols were both "Civics" as well.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:01 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
brembos on a fit? i'm afraid there is no cup at all haha

Old 10-29-2007, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
The Civic line was the only Line of Honda (with the exception of the Prelude) That ever carried the Si badge. the CRX and Del Sols were both "Civics" as well.
now that i think about it...you're totally right

But i still wouldn't mind a Fit Si

Old 10-29-2007, 02:06 PM
Retired Moderator
I heard a rumor awhile back that Honda would make a Fit Si, i would buy one in a heart beat if they did! Please Honda make one!!!!

Old 10-29-2007, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
where'd you hear that? I would definitely trade mine in for one

Old 10-29-2007, 02:42 PM
Retired Moderator
Somewhere on the forum, its a rumor, i doubt it will ever happen...

Old 10-29-2007, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gotfitted
did the CRX si eat away at the civic si's sales? the civic may suffer some loses, but there's people out there that would rather take a coupe/sedan over a hatch regardless of performance. Think of it as like the MS3 and the MS6, the MS3 is lighter and is a 5 door hatch and the MS6 is heavier with awd and is a larger sedan. Both share the same motor.

Cup half full guys, not half empty.

The CRX of the 80s-90s was the only Si. So I dont know what youre talking about... There was no Civic Sedan Si or Civic Coupe Si...

And as nit-pickey as Honda is about its car and their motors...I doubt they will throw a 200hp+ K20 into a car designed for fuel economy. If you look at the companies that have thrown the K20 into the Fit, you would know that even with suspension work it is still a torque steer monster and can't handle near as well due to its high center of gravity. You dont think Honda has known that all along? They are all about precision and execution and balance. So why throw a motor like that in a top heavy commuter? Even if you look at some of the cool overseas mini cars like the Mitsu Colt Ralliart R, it only makes 150hp. I think you guys are all living in another dimension...They may eventually make some kind of "tuner" version but I doubt the power would ever push more than 140-150hp...

Old 10-29-2007, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 07TaffetaFit
The CRX of the 80s-90s was the only Si. So I dont know what youre talking about... There was no Civic Sedan Si or Civic Coupe Si...

And as nit-pickey as Honda is about its car and their motors...I doubt they will throw a 200hp+ K20 into a car designed for fuel economy. If you look at the companies that have thrown the K20 into the Fit, you would know that even with suspension work it is still a torque steer monster and can't handle near as well due to its high center of gravity. You dont think Honda has known that all along? They are all about precision and execution and balance. So why throw a motor like that in a top heavy commuter? Even if you look at some of the cool overseas mini cars like the Mitsu Colt Ralliart R, it only makes 150hp. I think you guys are all living in another dimension...They may eventually make some kind of "tuner" version but I doubt the power would ever push more than 140-150hp...
Forget about the EF did we?

And you're right, Honda would never put a K20 in the Fit because it throws off all sorts of geometrics. Although i don't believe torque steer would necessarily be part of it. Torque steer is generated mostly by uneven driveshafts and mostly alleviated by a good LSD. Torque steer is determined by the drivetrain, not the chassis. And like i said in my rant, i only put the K20 in because i thought it'd be a fun swap. If you had continue reading, you would've read that i said any motor putting out 100hp per liter (which would land you in the 150hp range) with a 6spd tranny and LSD would suffice. I didn't neccesitate a K20 for the Si.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
There was a 3 door Civic Si Hatchback from 88-90 and 01-03(or so). There was also a 2 door coupe si from 98-00.
I think that the 140 hp R18 would be a very good match for the Fit due to the weight being close to the L15's. I don't really have any major complaints with the stock suspension. It seems to respond well to mods. Maybe it doesn't have quite as high of ultimate limits as a unequal length control arm setup, but still very sharp handling for something that looks like a minivan. I'd also love a 6 speed, but the stock 5 speed, maybe with some type of short shifter kit would be adequate. Using the 4 wheel disk setup found on EDM/JDM fits would improve the braking sufficiently for me. The people who want a BBK will get their own setup anyways. I still feel that the price would go up higher than 17-18k, but that might be possible.

Last edited by EXWRX; 10-29-2007 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
If they use the R18, the price would stay relatively low because of the money saved from further R&D of another motor or of a high performance L15. The 5-spd is great for a stock fit, but as you begin to modify it, you'll notice that its geared really short. Of all the other options of modifying the 5spd's gear ratio, i believe adding a 6th gear is the best option.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
When I was referring to the CRX I should have stated late 80s early 90s... I know about the 98-00 Si, and the EF...my bad. I just think everyone is crazy for thinking a company like Honda would ever do anything crazy with a car it designed as a commuter. Besides if Honda did want to do something like that we would hear about it from Japan long before it would come here.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 07TaffetaFit
When I was referring to the CRX I should have stated late 80s early 90s... I know about the 98-00 Si, and the EF...my bad. I just think everyone is crazy for thinking a company like Honda would ever do anything crazy with a car it designed as a commuter. Besides if Honda did want to do something like that we would hear about it from Japan long before it would come here.
totally agree.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gotfitted
. . . The 5-spd is great for a stock fit, but as you begin to modify it, you'll notice that its geared really short. Of all the other options of modifying the 5spd's gear ratio, i believe adding a 6th gear is the best option.
Actually, from a performance standpoint, the Fit's gears are still a bit long. For track/autox use most people(JDM owners, at least) are putting in a shorter final to shorten it even more for better torque and acceleration, hence J's Racing making 4.4 and 4.7 final gear sets (and soon, T1R here as well w/ a 4.7). It might not be quite so comfy on the street, but it'll pull better for sure.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chikubi
Actually, from a performance standpoint, the Fit's gears are still a bit long. For track/autox use most people(JDM owners, at least) are putting in a shorter final to shorten it even more for better torque and acceleration, hence J's Racing making 4.4 and 4.7 final gear sets (and soon, T1R here as well w/ a 4.7). It might not be quite so comfy on the street, but it'll pull better for sure.
sorry i forgot to specify, when i meant "modify" i had forced induction in mind and that would make each gear feel enormously shorter and would ultimately restrict your ability to use the boosted top end performance. I understand the need for short gears since i run the canyons quite often, but i forsee me needing either taller gears or a 6th gear to cruise on highways or for high speed tracks. As of now, the Fit's gearing will restrict you to 130mph at 6500. While that's fine at 109-130hp, when you reach 150-180, you'll realize that at 130, your motor's only beginning to open its stride.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
If you really want to get technical.... The Si name plate was featured on all of the following models:

1984-1987 Honda Civic 3 Door Hatchback
1984-1987 Honda Civic CRX
1988-1991 Honda Civic 3 Door Hatchback
1988-1991 Honda Civic CRX
1992-1995 Honda Civic 3 Door Hatchback
1993-1995 Honda Civic Coupe (Canada Only / USA's EX Model)
1993-1997 Honda Civic Del Slow
1996-2000 Honda Civic Coupe (Canada Only / USA's EX Model)
1999-2000 Honda Civic Coupe (US Only / Canada's SiR Model)
2001-2005 Honda Civic Coupe (Canada Only / USA's EX Model)
2002-2005 Honda Civic 3 Door Hatchback (US Only / Canada's SiR Model)
2006+ Honda Civic Coupe
2006+ Honda Civic Sedan
1988-1991 Honda Prelude
1992-1996 Honda Prelude

Don't even get me started on the models that were offered in other countries overseas, as even the Honda Integra featured the Si nameplate through 1994-2001.

Will we possibly see an Si/SiR model Honda Fit at some point.... well anythings possible especially with Honda. But at this point I would be more inclined to put my money on an RS model over an Si/SiR however. In terms of Honda bringing another Type R to North America, it's highly unlikely, as without a shadow of a doubt the majority of Honda Fit owners would likely complain out of their asses about the insane sticker price as the vehicle would surely be priced around or near that of the 2007 Mugen Civic Si Sedan.

Last edited by JaySmith; 10-30-2007 at 10:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Fit Si or Type R