General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Help - How To Remove 3rd Brake Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
Help - How To Remove 3rd Brake Light

Hey,

Anyway know the best way to remove the 3rd brake light? I have a 3rd brake light vinyl sticker I need to apply.

Thanks.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:24 PM
Retired Moderator
Need a flathead screwdriver to help you pull off the backing piece. Once you have that piece off, you need a 10mm hex ratchet to remove two bolts, unplug the harness, and you are done!

Old 12-02-2007, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
You don't even need a screwdriver. You can press the tabs in with your fingers and the back case comes off. Then unplug and unscrew.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
Unlike the weird thread where they claim removing the spare tire is a liability hazard... removing your 3rd brake light is, and should you be rearended you can potentially be causing a world of lawsuits.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by Arisenfury
Unlike the weird thread where they claim removing the spare tire is a liability hazard... removing your 3rd brake light is, and should you be rearended you can potentially be causing a world of lawsuits.
I think he got one of those vinyl stickers that goes over the light so when you hit the brakes, it says "Fit" or something.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
Ditto on the removal instructions, its so easy, a caveman could do it... (insert drum roll)
Anywho....
Just my two cents on this - I used to have a ford explorer sport and I did a similar mod with my 3rd brake light so it lit up "Sport". I'm from Maine originally, so we have yearly state safety inspections, required before you can get an updated registration. When I went in, I failed the first time because any sort of reduction in the red or amber light output is considered a road hazard and thus illegal. (I also had those slotted tail-light guards, which also resulted in inspection failure) Moving to Florida has been great, since there is no yearly inspection like this... But you should check your local laws to make sure this mod doesn't result in any sort of liability.
Honestly I always thought it was a little dumb. I can see people who have tinted tail lights, or those blackout covers, but the tail-light guards were very minimal in light output reduction and honestly the third brake light was a tiny 194 bulb (it was a 91 explorer) so it barely lit even without the cover. Get this though - I later made my own set of altezza lamps by hacking up S10 altezzas and I passed inspection - go figure. but i digress..
I agree, removing the brake light permenantly is not a good idea, but modding it like this could actually look pretty trick.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
Ohh, I misread what he was saying then... I thought he wanted to remove it to remove it completely.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
any pix of the sticker you have?

Old 12-10-2007, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
Well... the stickers were sent to me as a promotion. I put em on, take pictures and then get my deposit back. However, the stickers are for previous models and they are too big. So, I'm taking the light out tomorrow and am going to have someone help me model it at the company I work for. I work for 3D Mechanical CAD Design - SpaceClaim. I'm the IT guy.

However, does anyone know how to remove the red lens from the the black housing? I can see the plastic tabs, but they are impossible to move without breaking them.