General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fuel Tank Capacity?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 08:13 AM
Fuel Tank Capacity?

The specs show that the fuel tank in the FIT has a 40L capacity. Has anyone actually tried riding the 'fuel light' for a while (trying to get the most out of a tank) then filling it up and getting more than 40L in there?

I've done this last week and managed to get 45-46L back in the tank. Now, I thought I'd get maybe 41 or 42L crammed in, calculating the filler neck, etc.. But over 45L?

I've gone over the 200km mark without the needle going below the "F".

Old 01-09-2008, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
Not me. I start sweating when the fuel light comes on. I know you can go a few miles when the light goes on, but I have run out of fuel on different cars due to different reasons (traffic / no gas station close by / busted fuel tank gauge / retarded relative driving), that I dont want to go through it again. When the light comes on or even before it does, Im looking for a station these days.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:25 AM
From what I've researched, usually when the Fuel light goes on in newer Hondas, there's 1/4 tank left for the driver to get to a gas station safely. Hence why I pushed the light an extra 60-70kms.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:01 PM
If you want to test it all the way I say grab a jerry can (sp?) and go fill it up with gas something like 10L will be fine. Drive till you completely run out of gas, hop out of the car, fill it up and then go to the gas station.

I though the Fit's tank was actually 41L? I am guessing since it's under the driver's seat and the door is behind the passenger seat the hose connecting the door to the tank can probably hold a few liters.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:29 PM
When my fuel light comes on. I can put 35 litres of gasoline in the tank until the nozzle stops by itself.

Fit's got a small tank and the needle drops fast when it starts to.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:37 PM
I think what the OP is saying is that if you continue to fill it after it clicks and stops the first time you can get a few more liters in there but be careful not to overfill.

If you try to do this fast, it will just click and stop pumping again.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:14 PM
exactly. easing up on the pump lever won't make it 'click stop' right away. I still don't see how case lines/hoses can hold up to 5L of fuel on a tiny car like this.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:19 PM
5L for a car isn't that much if you think about it. I'll see how much I can fill it up next time I go. I'll be coming up on the yellow light pretty soon.

It will only be my second fill up and I'm still under 1000kms on the car lol.

edit: crap the wife just filled up so It'll have to wait a bit longer to test, good news though I got 33mpg and the car only has 700kms on it

Last edited by Mr_ET; 01-09-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:56 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by FITrunner
Not me. I start sweating when the fuel light comes on. I know you can go a few miles when the light goes on

You have NOTHING to worry about. Our fuel light comes on wayyy too early.

I have driven 40 MILES with the fuel light on. I have also gone 30 miles at least 5 or 6 times, and 20-25 miles probably 10 times as well. Seriously, the fuel light is a joke.

I'm not saying it doesn't come on for a reason - yes it means you should get gas soon, not right away. One of these days I'm going to push the car to it's limit and see what it can do. I'm betting I can do 50 miles.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:40 AM
Originally Posted by storm88000
You have NOTHING to worry about. Our fuel light comes on wayyy too early.... I'm betting I can do 50 miles.
At the very least.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:13 AM
my bet is you could probably put another 60-75 miles before you completely run out of fuel depending if you are running around the city or staying at a steady speed on the highway.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:08 AM
5 Year Member
my manual states the tank holds 10.8 gallons. the first time the fuel light came on i refilled immediately and topped off at like 8 something gallons. the most i've ever been able to fill up was 10.3 gallons. with half a gallon left in the tank that's what like 15 miles. so if the light comes on let's say around 8.8 gallons you know you can probably go 60 miles before you run out. that's like an hour of driving.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:16 PM
bigger on the inside.

Originally Posted by ImPuLsIvE.ca
The specs show that the fuel tank in the FIT has a 40L capacity. Has anyone actually tried riding the 'fuel light' for a while (trying to get the most out of a tank) then filling it up and getting more than 40L in there?

I've done this last week and managed to get 45-46L back in the tank. Now, I thought I'd get maybe 41 or 42L crammed in, calculating the filler neck, etc.. But over 45L?

I've gone over the 200km mark without the needle going below the "F".
I just filled up and got 44.5 liters in the tank. I am a bit suspicions of the pump as the most I have had before is 41 and that was when I went 140ks past the fuel light. I was only 60ks past it today. btw best distance out of 1tank 740km

Old 05-02-2015, 11:17 PM
According to the manual, my fuel low light comes on when there's "approximately 1.62 gallons" left in the tank (from memory—I may be off by a couple hundredths). Aside from being a very exact approximation, that works out to easily 60+ miles for me.

I'm not too surprised you can cram several liters in the filler pipe. Although the Fit is a small car, it has a long filler hose—it needs to go from above the rear wheel all the way to underneath the front seats, and it needs to curve around the back door and/or passenger compartment on its way.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:57 PM
Fuel tank capacity- help

So...
My car is a fit 2016..
When gas is coming close to be empty, when I have 2 bars left on the odometer, the empty light goes on. Most cars I have driven on the empty light comes on when I have one bar left. I don't understand what's going on? Can someone help me ?

Old 06-17-2016, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
The light comes on so that your fuel pump has enough fuel in the tank to properly cool it.
Running EFI cars deep in the tank can really increase wear on the pump.

I checked it on my jeep once, haven't tried on the FIT but below a 1/8th tank my fuel was getting up to 130 degrees. Its being pumped to the front of the car and back through the engine compartment.

Old 06-18-2016, 02:01 PM
Thanks

Thank you for your response, so what your are saying Is that the car gets to hot when the fuel level is low ? I thought there was a problem with the sensor or car computer, maybe the odometer is not accurate or registering the right amount of gas that is left.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:43 AM
in my 2010, I usually start thinking about getting gas once I hit 300 miles.

Old 06-30-2016, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
Miles for the tank and miles remaining have everything to do with what kind of mileage you've been getting, what kind of mileage you expect to get over the next few miles and how much you like walking.

My biggest fill was 10.625 gallons (40.22l). It wasn't even a good tank, mpg-wise. I was in worse driving conditions at the end and of it and almost ended up walking.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lupassos74
Thank you for your response, so what your are saying Is that the car gets to hot when the fuel level is low ? I thought there was a problem with the sensor or car computer, maybe the odometer is not accurate or registering the right amount of gas that is left.
Not the motor,, the fuel gets hot, the fuel is being pressurized by the pump and normally sheds its heat to the fuel in the tank. when the fuel level gets low enough, there isn't enough mass to absorb the heat and the fuel gets hotter and hotter. a lot of electric fuel pumps that are meant to be in-tank get too hot to touch with bare hands within a couple minutes of running in the air..

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Capacity?