General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

larger tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 04:48 PM
There are a couple companies out with different final drive for the Fit I believe. Try a search on this site for them. But they are for better acceleration not lower RPM...
so wait a minute....why did I even post that then.... nevermind

Old 03-04-2008, 04:51 PM
I can see the larger size tires helping a little, maybe, in theory. But it can't make *that* big a difference. The possible gain is pretty small to begin with since you're reducing engine speed by just a few percent. It's still got to generate the same amount of power, a bit more actually. Just for a random guess you might get 1% better engine efficiency running at 3500rpm instead of 3600, but then you also do have to accelerate a bit now and then, make turns, the heavier tires absorb more energy from bumps, and there's also going to be more air resistance when the car is raised higher off the road.

So the sport tach will be 2.1% less STOCK base model
Yeah, that's what started me looking at different sizes when I went to buy tires. Still, fuel efficiency readings being off by 2% is less than 1mpg, so it doesn't explain that much.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
I have and I believe it has a huge impact on the highway, I averaged 44mpg on one occasion over a very long distance trip.The tires were heavier and I suspect my city miliage was most likely down. I detailed the trip some time ago... (see post #3)
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/eco-...79-40-mpg.html
Using closer to stock dia tires later on I got lower results.
wow all kinds of info, but sadley light on key data.

On your 17" heavey tires what size did the sidewall have on it?

Old 11-25-2017, 04:58 PM
205 60 15

Originally Posted by sfenders
I can see the larger size tires helping a little, maybe, in theory. But it can't make *that* big a difference. The possible gain is pretty small to begin with since you're reducing engine speed by just a few percent. It's still got to generate the same amount of power, a bit more actually. Just for a random guess you might get 1% better engine efficiency running at 3500rpm instead of 3600, but then you also do have to accelerate a bit now and then, make turns, the heavier tires absorb more energy from bumps, and there's also going to be more air resistance when the car is raised higher off the road.

Yeah, that's what started me looking at different sizes when I went to buy tires. Still, fuel efficiency readings being off by 2% is less than 1mpg, so it doesn't explain that much.

205 60 15 on 2008 Sport. Does rub a tiny bit when I go past 6:00 on a turn.
Putting this out there because I came here for the info. Stock everything else.