General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Do you want to shift smooth?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member
Do you want to shift smooth?

OK if your are happy with how you shift your manual trans Fit, stop reading now.

I'm old as dirt and have been using a manual trans my entire life. The Fit's Throttle By Wire adds some challenge that never existed before, but I have a grasp on it now....kind of. Shifting smooth is important for a few reasons.
  1. Easy on clutch
  2. Better economy with less wasted energy and
  3. Smooth ride for you and your pals in the car
I have found two ways that work well with easy to medium acceleration. I have no clue what works best if your on it and power or speed shifting. The key is to match the eng RPM's for the next gear rpm, before you let the clutch out at the end of the shift.

The gearing is such that the next gear will be 500ish rpm's less than the rpm you shifted at.

So based on that easy observation, watch the tachometer and note the rpm you start the shift at. For example 3000rpms. Put in the clutch as you lift off the gas and put her in the next gear. As the tach falls back to 2500 (500 less than 3000) let the clutch out. If you have a GOOD ear you do not need the tach to do this.

The second way is to just count "1 one-thousand" and let the clutch out and that will be about a 500 rpm drop.

Remember I said slow to med acceleration rates.

What drives this is how the throttle hangs open after you have lifted off the gas and is called LAG. It varies by acceleration rate and RPM and can be substantial. That's not at all normal for a car and just how Honda did it.

hope this helps a few....

Last edited by pcs0snq; 03-19-2008 at 08:43 PM. Reason: .
Old 03-19-2008, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member
it's times like this i'm glad i have an auto

j/k, i'd have loved to have gotten a manual fit, even if it takes some getting used to.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
The day I bought my Fit I test drove one of each and hated the lack of control over the Auto. It was down shifting and up-shifting without a real need. Yes it was in manual mode.

Also based on my wifes 1999 Accord, with a POS Auto and verification with Consumer Reports long term data, Honda is clueless about designing an Auto Trans that will live more than 100k miles......... but of course hope yours lasts way longer

Old 03-19-2008, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
^ hahah i hope mine does too

Old 03-19-2008, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
The day I bought my Fit I test drove one of each and hated the lack of control over the Auto. It was down shifting and up-shifting without a real need. Yes it was in manual mode.

Also based on my wifes 1999 Accord, with a POS Auto and verification with Consumer Reports long term data, Honda is clueless about designing an Auto Trans that will live more than 100k miles......... but of course hope yours lasts way longer
i know what you mean, my aunt's old 1998 Prelude had so many problems regarding her auto transmission. Then again all preludes from that gen had auto problems.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitftw
i know what you mean, my aunt's old 1998 Prelude had so many problems regarding her auto transmission. Then again all preludes from that gen had auto problems.
hopefully they've improved on the auto trans in the last 10 years....i guess time will tell.

and if all else fails, i'll trade it in for a newer manual fit

Old 03-19-2008, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
good post! i fully agree with what you are saying!... however i am the lead foot type... the best advice i can give for smooth shifts when driving fast, shift at high revs (duh) and clutch slowish and its smooth... if any one can post more advice on speed shifting that would be great!... but great post!

KUDOS!

Old 03-19-2008, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
I'm old in the import world also...been driving for 20 years. I've never owned a car with an automatic (plenty of trucks, but no cars).

I find it really sad that there needs to be an explanation of how to shift smooth in a Honda Fit. It's not the driver's fault...it's the POS RIDICULOUSLY HORRIBLE DRIVE BY WIRE system!

My wife, who can drive my 532whp manual transmission Mustang just fine, can't adapt to the delay.

I sincerely hope that Honda reads these threads!

Old 03-19-2008, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Firebat666
good post! i fully agree with what you are saying!... however i am the lead foot type... the best advice i can give for smooth shifts when driving fast, shift at high revs (duh) and clutch slowish and its smooth... if any one can post more advice on speed shifting that would be great!... but great post!

KUDOS!
That's easy I run our Fit hard...really hard through the mountains. Not abusive...just hard. The DBW is completely ecu controlled, but not correctly.

Just don't take your right foot off the floor. The DBW has a delay and revhang from the factory...take advantage of it. Right foot to floor, keep slight pressure on the shifter in the direction of the next gear, stab and release the clutch as fast as possible while simultaneously adding pressure on the shifter toward the next gear. It will upshift in the blink of an eye.

The basic idea is to release tension on the tranny just long enough for you to make the gear change.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
Good post Paul! I'm still not quite used to the drive by wire. I still think the tranny/drive by wire can't keep up with my shifting when I punch the Fit into high speed driving. I definitely wished they kept the throttle wire cable on the Fit to give you a better throttle feedback. I'd like to see a software upgrade or reflash for that. I read from someone keeping the gas pedal at half way point to maintain better throttle and it actually works.

Last edited by 1LegitFit; 03-19-2008 at 07:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Wha???

Am I the only to learn how to shift by sound and feel? I was taught on my father's old tricky ass volvo GL and then on my brother's loose as hell VW Karmen Ghia. The gauges were largely inaccurate and unreliable.

I don't know if this is the best way to drive but I've always adjusted very quickly to whatever car I've driven.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by emillkim
Am I the only to learn how to shift by sound and feel? I was taught on my father's old tricky ass volvo GL and then on my brother's loose as hell VW Karmen Ghia. The gauges were largely inaccurate and unreliable.

I don't know if this is the best way to drive but I've always adjusted very quickly to whatever car I've driven.
i'm the same way. when my dad was trying to teach me to drive a MT he kept telling me that every car was different but once you get a feel for the car it will be a breaze shifting.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BrianT
i'm the same way. when my dad was trying to teach me to drive a MT he kept telling me that every car was different but once you get a feel for the car it will be a breaze shifting.
how many Fit 5 speed MT have you both driven

Old 03-19-2008, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
ive never paid any attention to my tach.... all by feel it just kind of feels right

Old 03-19-2008, 11:35 PM
Intuitive driving. ultimately both styles work but there is something to be said about listening and feeling. You can hear when you over rev, grind gears, feel when you the gear doesn't engage smoothly.
You can keep your eye on the road....
Next project and thread "heel toe shifting"
Never tried it...

Old 03-19-2008, 11:49 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
I'm old in the import world also...been driving for 20 years. I've never owned a car with an automatic (plenty of trucks, but no cars).
lol, same with me. I have bounced between sedans, to BMW's to Jeeps and every one of them is a manual. Just so much more rewarding than driving an auto

Old 03-20-2008, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
emillkim: I am working on learning heel-toeing in my car right now... honestly i have found it much easyer since i got my driving shoes (piloti spiders) but its all just practice!

Old 03-20-2008, 12:57 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by emillkim

haha i learned to drive manual in high school on an old corolla that didn't have a tach. i asked someone how to drive manual and then i went on to drive it myself. after a few rough starts i started to get a feel for it and now i can't stand driving automatic!

Old 03-20-2008, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
Doctordoom: i'm the same... although I learned on my Fit... once i got the hang of it Autos are very Blah!!!!! im always figiting with my left foot! im like wheres my clutch!!!!! and wtf am i sposed to do with this foot.... lol any one else like me?

Old 03-20-2008, 11:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Firebat666
Doctordoom: i'm the same... although I learned on my Fit... once i got the hang of it Autos are very Blah!!!!! im always figiting with my left foot! im like wheres my clutch!!!!! and wtf am i sposed to do with this foot.... lol any one else like me?
i am!! i basicaly learned on my fit, too. now i cant stand to drive an auto, i have no idea what to do with my left foot either! autos have become boring to me now lol

my bf taught me how to rev match a few weeks ago so its pretty smooth when i shift and i want to learn how to heel-toe, too. but i'll save that for when im an expert at rev matching...which will be soon . ive had my car for almost 2 years now and i can definately notice a difference between just shifting and rev matching.

Last edited by FITfetish; 03-20-2008 at 11:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Do you want to shift smooth?