General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Clutch Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
The only problem I have is that I can't find the clutch pedal...

...Oh! Wait, I have a CVT

But at least I can brag about that I have more clutches in my car than most of you have. even if I dont have a clutch pedal. I think there is 5 clutches inside the CVT tranny. And they are all smooth as.... ice?

Old 11-21-2008, 10:24 PM
my clutch doesn't really make any noises, but it does feel lower than when i first bought the car 1 year ago. i took it in to the honda dealership for service and they said theres nothing wrong with my clutch. they said its normal for it to feel lower.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
It's funny how many problems are 'normal' when you take it to the dealer... my passenger door panel rattles now, dealer said that's normal. the A/C doesn't cool down if it's above 85 degrees outside, dealer said that's normal, the wheels fall off at highway speed, NORMAL! lol

Old 11-22-2008, 01:46 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Flyin172s
It's funny how many problems are 'normal' when you take it to the dealer... my passenger door panel rattles now, dealer said that's normal. the A/C doesn't cool down if it's above 85 degrees outside, dealer said that's normal, the wheels fall off at highway speed, NORMAL! lol
so true. and if it's not normal, then they can't reproduce the problem lol.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:49 PM
The next time one of you takes your Fit in for this complaint tell them to check the pedal height and the freeplay in the pushrod under the car.
It may just be a matter of adding a bit of freeplay to solve this problem.
A cold clutch will chatter if its not completely engaged.
Once warm it will act as normal, but I would expect this to get worse as the disc wears.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:22 PM
Let me add my name to the list of concerned owners. I have a '07 with the same symptoms of chattering especially when cold. However, this did not develop until about after 30,000 miles. Can't we somehow get Honda to fix this before the warranty wears out?

Old 11-25-2008, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by cathyrob
Let me add my name to the list of concerned owners. I have a '07 with the same symptoms of chattering especially when cold. However, this did not develop until about after 30,000 miles. Can't we somehow get Honda to fix this before the warranty wears out?
The next time you take it in, get them to check the amount of freeplay.
I would bet that its not enough.
And if it's normal then the pressure plate is faulty. There is no way the disc should be slipping with low miles unless you've ridden the clutch.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
a little chatter when engaging is fine as far as i know. you should hear my car when engaging gears since the lightened i installed, if its cold it sounds like its going to fall apart ;D (which is normal for it to chatter more than stock).

Old 11-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by kancerr
a little chatter when engaging is fine as far as i know. you should hear my car when engaging gears since the lightened i installed, if its cold it sounds like its going to fall apart ;D (which is normal for it to chatter more than stock).
Chatter is slippage of the disc between the pressure plate and freewheel when the release bearing is disengaged.
Not the same as a slipping clutch and not the same as a noisy grabby clutch.
The chattering sound is actually made by the dampers in the clutch disc compressing and releasing. Its worse with spring type dampers but I would think the Fit would have rubber cushions.
I would really like to go for a test ride with someone and actually listen to this. None of the Fits I know have this problem though!

Old 11-27-2008, 08:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ricohman
Chatter is slippage of the disc between the pressure plate and freewheel when the release bearing is disengaged.
The chattering sound is actually made by the dampers in the clutch disc compressing and releasing. Its worse with spring type dampers but I would think the Fit would have rubber cushions.
I would really like to go for a test ride with someone and actually listen to this. None of the Fits I know have this problem though!

i still stick with my statement a little chatter is fine. if i need to i can go get my flywheel install papers from fidanza and qoute the explanation of chatter? it clearly states that some chatter is okay stock and with the lightened flywheel it would chatter more but in no way means that it is faulty or will break.

as for the other things i never said anything about it being the same as a slipping clutch. i was strictly talked about "chatter" and nothing else. do not put words in my mouth ;]

Old 11-27-2008, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by Flyin172s
i know right.... it's like they don't wanna fix the problem or something

Old 11-27-2008, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by niaz12
doubt that the same thing will be on the new Fit. It would seem to me to be much simpler to incorporate it it into the slave or master. The presence of this thing may explain why sometimes when I clutch there is not a complete disengagement and when I shift
Are you refering to an adjustment pushrod?
There are usually two. One on the master to set up the pedal and one on the slave to adjust for disc wear as needed.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by kancerr
i still stick with my statement a little chatter is fine. if i need to i can go get my flywheel install papers from fidanza and qoute the explanation of chatter? it clearly states that some chatter is okay stock and with the lightened flywheel it would chatter more but in no way means that it is faulty or will break.

as for the other things i never said anything about it being the same as a slipping clutch. i was strictly talked about "chatter" and nothing else. do not put words in my mouth ;]
Any chatter is not normal.
Lots of chatter will eventually fracture a spring damper or the damper seat in the disc. Then the bits start flying around inside the bellhousing.
Either way, if my car had chatter I would fix it.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:11 AM

Ricohman-- Thanks for all of your comments. I'd love you to test ride my car. Do you live anywhere in the L.A. area?

Old 11-29-2008, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by cathyrob
Ricohman-- Thanks for all of your comments. I'd love you to test ride my car. Do you live anywhere in the L.A. area?
Nope. I live waaay up north!

Old 12-01-2008, 08:24 AM
I've noticed the chatter a while back. It's subtle, and only makes the noise when I'm barely dis-engaging the clutch pedal to ease forward from a stop (like when you're in a drive-thru and have to move up, or heavy stop and go traffic). I've had it checked by the local dealership, and have been given a clean bill of health. My '08 Sport has just over 6,000 miles and they did the work under warranty.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Nope. I live waaay up north!
next time you visit the Calgary area you can test drive mine. Next oil change I will be making a complaint. I dont care if the drive train is cold, it should''nt do that.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by shy34
next time you visit the Calgary area you can test drive mine. Next oil change I will be making a complaint. I dont care if the drive train is cold, it should''nt do that.
Is this transmission noise or clutch noise?
The reason I ask this is a co-worker of mine just got a new (to him) R1200GS a couple of weeks ago. That's a BMW dual sport touring bike.
Anyway, he was complaining of clutch chatter and I got to take it for a spin.
What he is interpreting as clutch chatter is actually noise from the transmission as the bike is geared tall in 1st.
When warm most of the noise goes away.
This noise is actually backlash and there is little to be done about it. I wonder if what you are hearing is trans noise?

Old 02-12-2009, 10:08 PM
emi
Here's my 2 cents. I have clutch shudder/chatter in first gear when cold. I had the exact same problem in my 1990 bmw, my 2000 bmw, and my 2000 toyota echo. The only fix is replacing the clutch disk and pressure plate. Additionally, the flywheel must be turned or replaced. There is no other fix!

The problem starts after the clutch disk is overheated. Material from the clutch disk transfers unevenly onto the pressure plate and/or flywheel friction surfaces. This is the exact same process that brake pads and rotors go through when over-heated.
Performance brake pads require a break-in procedure during which they are purposely overheated to cause this pad transfer onto the rotor surface (otherwise they don't work well).

Honda under-engineered the drive-train to save money and weight. Depending on how aggressively you drive, you may or may not experience this problem.

Last edited by emi; 02-12-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 7red7
I've noticed the chatter a while back. It's subtle, and only makes the noise when I'm barely dis-engaging the clutch pedal to ease forward from a stop (like when you're in a drive-thru and have to move up, or heavy stop and go traffic). I've had it checked by the local dealership, and have been given a clean bill of health. My '08 Sport has just over 6,000 miles and they did the work under warranty.

could this just be the throw out bearing? i replaced my clutch a few months back and had to use the old throw out bearing. its in fine shape, but i am getting noise from it...is it a creaking noise? if so i wouldnt worry much about it.

Quick Reply: Clutch Problems?