General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Spirited driving and the A-pillar

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
Spirited driving and the A-pillar

Super random question, but does anyone else despise the ginormous A-pillar? Twice now, entire cars in parking lots have gotten hidden behind the driver side A-pillar and I only spotted them because a passenger pointed it out. Otherwise might have had an accident or near-miss.

The funny thing is that when I'm driving hard through twisties, I literally stick my head ALL the way out over the dash in order to get a proper view of the turn. Otherwise, the pillar obscures the entire turn making it pretty dangerous and hard to get through smoothly. I've heard the '09 has a smaller pillar which would be a HUGE benefit!

The other ones are also way too big. From the outside the Fit looks like it's all glass.... until you get inside and realize that all the pillars are the size of freaking trees! The big C and D pillars make for the really bad 3/4 visibility in our cars.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
i agree with you on this. the A pillar has gotten in the way a few times. ive almost hit a few people walking in parkinglots because of teh blind spot. having window visors makes it worse LOL

Old 03-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Retired Moderator
Almost drove past a pedestrian that was crossing the road as I was turning. g/f pointed out that someone was there and immediately hit the brakes. It's really big and I've adapted to look through the drivers side window and peek out to make sure no one is there anymore. It is definitely too big!

Old 03-30-2008, 04:00 PM
wow i didn't pay attention to this at all... good to know that the 09 will fix this isue. the only time i almost ran over a pedestrian was in Old Town Pasadena and because i was really sleepy and was on my way home from school and just wanted to sleep. hehe.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, i think people think im headbanging to some metal music
while im making a turn.

that a-pillar is huge. i got use to it on my 06 civic sedan i had...
you have to make a blind spot check.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah I addapted to it.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Retired Moderator
Yeah i somewhat agree with what your saying. They do bother sometimes, but its kinda rare that they really bother me.

Tyler

Old 03-30-2008, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
I noticed it from day one. I just adapted like someone already said to look out the drivers window.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
i also noticed it when i first got my fit. after a while i learned to adjust my seating/position to try to get a better view.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:43 AM
I hated the A pillar when I bought it and I hate it to this very day. I would like to add though when I was test driving the 8th gen civic coupe it was way, way, WAY worse and not only obscured the outwards view but downwards as well (3/4 view of course)

kenchan, headbanging....I love that! I do the head zig and zag shimmy thing at lights. I can never seem to see the traffic lights in this car they always seem to be obscured by something er other.

I find it more annoying than dangerous, but I can easily see what you all mean. It does get extra annoying when I am exhibiting a bit of a spirited jaunt indeed.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:56 AM
I actually like the fact that its huge. It gives the impression of the car being built very sturdy and in case of a roll over i wont die. haha. I actually never really noticed it blocking my view before. I always look around it anyway. Different strokes for different folks i guess

Old 03-31-2008, 01:57 AM
5 Year Member
it's called broadway 270mm wide inside rear view mirror. =]

Old 03-31-2008, 07:08 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Snap Fit
I do the head zig and zag shimmy thing at lights.
people are going to think we all Fit drivers have a mild case
of hemorroids . not that i know.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by koolkevin1107
it's called broadway 270mm wide inside rear view mirror. =]
Uhhh wouldn't that make looking out the front even harder?
Those things are cool but HUGE!!!

oh unless you were thinking B and C pillar...then just kidding...heehee

Last edited by Snap Fit; 03-31-2008 at 03:35 PM. Reason: whooopsy
Old 03-31-2008, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by jdjohnson9
I actually like the fact that its huge. It gives the impression of the car being built very sturdy and in case of a roll over i wont die. haha. I actually never really noticed it blocking my view before. I always look around it anyway. Different strokes for different folks i guess
^^^^exactly! haahaa

I know what you mean, but I had to

Old 03-31-2008, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
The a-pillar is very difficult to see around when going through tight sweepers on mountain roads. It's right where I need to watch for readnecks in my lane or a stopped car in the road. I find it very dangerous and hope that I don't end up paying the price for Honda's mistake.

I find myself actually going faster in my Explorer or Mustang in non-spirited driving just because I can see the whole road.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
Gafit, I totally know what you mean. I just stick my head out to get a better view, or sideways to look out the drivers side window. It's uncomfortable but the view is much better, allowing you to put the car exactly where you want. Of course then your steering, pedal, and shifting positions are compromised...

Old 03-31-2008, 07:21 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
yeah those pillars are huge! i just adapted to them by being more cautious about where i was turning or moving my head around to get a better look when i wasn't sure.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:57 PM
I like some excitement when I drive so I just assume nothing is in my blind spots. I drive an orange car, pedestrians should be looking for me!

Old 03-31-2008, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by airborne200208
I like some excitement when I drive so I just assume nothing is in my blind spots. I drive an orange car, pedestrians should be looking for me!
Lol you just plauged all people driving any orange fits. I will definitely be diving for the curve every time I see one now.

I just adjust my driving to my needs. If it means resting my forehead against the windshield then so be it.

Quick Reply: Spirited driving and the A-pillar