Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   General Fit Talk (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/)
-   -   hit a bump, heard a clunk (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/23303-hit-bump-heard-clunk.html)

blackdot_fit 04-02-2008 01:32 AM

hit a bump, heard a clunk

hey guys,

I was making a right turn from a shopping center, and when I hit the gutter dip, I heard a metal sounding clunk coming from the drivers side front.....it sounded like the springs/strut smacking together, but i'm not sure. I just bought my '08 SSM last week, and I'm kinda worried. If I hear it again, I'm taking it in.

I know my description is vague, but I was just wondering if anyone has experienced something like this.

Thanks in advance, guys. I'll put up some pictures soon. I've caught the modding bug again! I haven't felt like this in ten years! But alas, I still can't afford much.....

peace!

Emil

Firebat666 04-02-2008 02:24 AM

sounds like you bottomed out your suspention... no biggy if its a rare occurence... if the car feels fine and is not making any noises you should be good!

blackdot_fit 04-02-2008 10:46 AM

whew! i was hoping for something worse. we'll see what happens from now on....maybe i'll try to bottom out again and see if it makes the same sound. i plan of lowering on progress springs really soon....this makes me wonder if I'll be bottoming out all the time. but it's something i must do as i'm getting really sick of the body roll with the stock suspension.

-e

TOOL 04-02-2008 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Firebat666 (Post 272351)
sounds like you bottomed out your suspention... no biggy if its a rare occurence... if the car feels fine and is not making any noises you should be good!

Yeah thats what i would guess it is. Although ive never heard anything similar in 6 months of ownership?

Tyler

doctordoom 04-02-2008 01:11 PM

did you check to see if it was your front lip or the clip under the front lip scraping the ground?

cavie187 04-02-2008 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Firebat666 (Post 272351)

That gets my vote, and FYI if you don't like the sound, don't even think about lowering your car or putting 17's on.

Snap Fit 04-02-2008 02:37 PM

Response in green belowVVV

Originally Posted by bacalia (Post 272333)
hey guys,

I was making a right turn from a shopping center, and when I hit the gutter dip, I heard a metal sounding clunk coming from the drivers side front....
Hmmm.... so if you were making a right turn then the left side was loaded up a bit more while hitting a bump and that could cause a bottoming out. But I am assuming you were going slowish, so it's possible that's not the case.
You didnt mention if you have a Base Fit or a Sport fit. If you have a Base fit I would mention (if you had them installed) the mud gaurds. On my last car I heard some funky sounds coming from them when they hit something. Also if your Fits underside bottomed out (not susspension) that can sound like a metal clunk and it could be indeed on the driver side. I have also heard a bizzare metal clunk sound coming from the seats if they were not clicked in all the way when you hit a bump. But you would have probably been able to tell where that was from.

it sounded like the springs/strut smacking together, but i'm not sure.
Thats still Possible

I just bought my '08 SSM last week, and I'm kinda worried. If I hear it again, I'm taking it in.
If you hear it again under circumstances that are not harsh (like a hard hit or going over a large deep/tall dip/bump) then I would take it in to get looked at. Honestly though (and I could be wrong of course) it does not sound like it was a really bad incident.
peace!
Emil

Take it easy and good luck,
if it persists tell us what you find and what the resolve was or is:)

kenchan 04-02-2008 04:01 PM

hit a bump, heard a clunk = probably ok.

hit a bump, heard a crack = probably not ok. :D

blackdot_fit 04-02-2008 05:51 PM

right. clunks can be tightened or adjusted. cracks,...well..

thanks for all the help, guys. I'm thinking that i bottomed out the drivers front.

but with all that has happened, i dying to get lowered! i'll get pics up just as soon as i can take some.

and also, cool community, guys! I used to hover around at b15sentra.net, but I traded her in last week. I couldn't be happier w/ my decision. :vtec:

-E