General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

hit a bump, heard a clunk

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 01:32 AM
5 Year Member
hit a bump, heard a clunk

hey guys,

I was making a right turn from a shopping center, and when I hit the gutter dip, I heard a metal sounding clunk coming from the drivers side front.....it sounded like the springs/strut smacking together, but i'm not sure. I just bought my '08 SSM last week, and I'm kinda worried. If I hear it again, I'm taking it in.

I know my description is vague, but I was just wondering if anyone has experienced something like this.

Thanks in advance, guys. I'll put up some pictures soon. I've caught the modding bug again! I haven't felt like this in ten years! But alas, I still can't afford much.....

peace!

Emil

Old 04-02-2008, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
sounds like you bottomed out your suspention... no biggy if its a rare occurence... if the car feels fine and is not making any noises you should be good!

Old 04-02-2008, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
whew! i was hoping for something worse. we'll see what happens from now on....maybe i'll try to bottom out again and see if it makes the same sound. i plan of lowering on progress springs really soon....this makes me wonder if I'll be bottoming out all the time. but it's something i must do as i'm getting really sick of the body roll with the stock suspension.

-e

Old 04-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by Firebat666
sounds like you bottomed out your suspention... no biggy if its a rare occurence... if the car feels fine and is not making any noises you should be good!
Yeah thats what i would guess it is. Although ive never heard anything similar in 6 months of ownership?

Tyler

Old 04-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
did you check to see if it was your front lip or the clip under the front lip scraping the ground?

Old 04-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by Firebat666

That gets my vote, and FYI if you don't like the sound, don't even think about lowering your car or putting 17's on.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Response in green belowVVV

Originally Posted by bacalia
hey guys,

I was making a right turn from a shopping center, and when I hit the gutter dip, I heard a metal sounding clunk coming from the drivers side front....
Hmmm.... so if you were making a right turn then the left side was loaded up a bit more while hitting a bump and that could cause a bottoming out. But I am assuming you were going slowish, so it's possible that's not the case.
You didnt mention if you have a Base Fit or a Sport fit. If you have a Base fit I would mention (if you had them installed) the mud gaurds. On my last car I heard some funky sounds coming from them when they hit something. Also if your Fits underside bottomed out (not susspension) that can sound like a metal clunk and it could be indeed on the driver side. I have also heard a bizzare metal clunk sound coming from the seats if they were not clicked in all the way when you hit a bump. But you would have probably been able to tell where that was from.

it sounded like the springs/strut smacking together, but i'm not sure.
Thats still Possible

I just bought my '08 SSM last week, and I'm kinda worried. If I hear it again, I'm taking it in.
If you hear it again under circumstances that are not harsh (like a hard hit or going over a large deep/tall dip/bump) then I would take it in to get looked at. Honestly though (and I could be wrong of course) it does not sound like it was a really bad incident.
peace!
Emil
Take it easy and good luck,
if it persists tell us what you find and what the resolve was or is

Old 04-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
hit a bump, heard a clunk = probably ok.

hit a bump, heard a crack = probably not ok.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
right. clunks can be tightened or adjusted. cracks,...well..

thanks for all the help, guys. I'm thinking that i bottomed out the drivers front.

but with all that has happened, i dying to get lowered! i'll get pics up just as soon as i can take some.

and also, cool community, guys! I used to hover around at b15sentra.net, but I traded her in last week. I couldn't be happier w/ my decision.

-E