3rd Generation GK Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Jounce Springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 08:48 AM
Jounce Springs

Can someone school me on jounce springs/bump stops? What is their function in the GK Fit?
I've seen bits and pieces of info in various threads, and I see mixed opinions on whether they should be modified when lowering the car.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by fit419; 04-01-2016 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:11 AM
5 Year Member
Bump stops typically are the last resort to keep stuff that shouldn't hit other stuff from hitting stuff.

They get closer when you lower the car and one bandaid is to trim the bump stops to eek out just a bit more travel..

Old 04-02-2016, 07:51 PM
jhn
Originally Posted by fit419
Can someone school me on jounce springs/bump stops? What is their function in the GK Fit?
I've seen bits and pieces of info in various threads, and I see mixed opinions on whether they should be modified when lowering the car.

Any info is greatly appreciated!
They are a supplementary spring that also prevents harsh bottoming. When you cut them, it essentially shoftens the early part or the suspension stroke. They get progressively stiffer as they're compressed. The end you shorten can can give different results.

Jounce springs are used in racing to dial in suspension characteristics. They are used mostly in circle track and drag racing but they're becoming more prevalent in road circuits as well.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:57 PM
jhn
Also, the GK uses the jounces pretty much through the entire suspension stroke. When you lower one with lowering springs, it compresses the jounces and this increases the spring rate throughout the stroke. If you cut the small end, say one "donut", it will soften the early stroke compared to one uncut, but it will progress at a faster rate. Cut them at the big end and it won't progress as rapidly. Be careful cutting them though. If they're too short you can coil bind or bottom the shock and this can do damage

Last edited by jhn; 04-02-2016 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by jhn
Also, the GK uses the jounces pretty much through the entire suspension stroke. When you lower one with lowering springs, it compresses the jounces and this increases the spring rate throughout the stroke. If you cut the small end, say one "donut", it will soften the early stroke compared to one uncut, but it will progress at a faster rate. Cut them at the big end and it won't progress as rapidly. Be careful cutting them though. If they're too short you can coil bind or bottom the shock and this can do damage
Good info! Thanks for the response