General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

89 octane

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 10:22 PM
89 octane

How many people have used or are using 89 octane?

I just used it for the first time and got 50.4mpgs. If the research is correct then the FIT motor has a compression of 10.4:1 and we should use a higher octane to be more efficient.

Think about it only $1.00 more for 89 octane to fill the tank and an extra 100miles on a tank(my average has been around 40mpg with 87 octane).

NOTE:

This may be premature since I only achieved this on one tank of gas but I just filled up and I should know by the end of the week if the 50mpg is real.........I can't figure out why it wouldn't be considering the fuel guage, pump reading and the mileage.

Other tid bits:

Oh, forgot to mention that I do have a skunk2 short shifter(not like that really makes a difference), use Mobil 1 synthetic(currently at 50% oil life which means that I have actually put 5K on the oil in the engine), and I last checked my tire pressure about 3 weeks ago and it was 40psi (cold), the air filter is the stock honda one with about 13K on it(yes, I changed the original one at 11k because my car was idling ruff due to dusty roads).

Last edited by pb and h; 04-09-2008 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:48 AM
Banned
It really is premature because you haven't perused the forums yet... if you do you will find a giant post.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ghlight=octane

That one and the several others ALREADY posted will answer any and all questions you have and correct your incorrect theory on octane.

And the Fit is powered by an internal combustion ENGINE the only motors are the starter motor, fan blower motor, and power window motors.

Last edited by claymore; 04-09-2008 at 01:53 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:06 AM
I agree that it MAY be premature, however the link to the above mentioned thread is just like Honda-tech...........a bunch of useless opinions with no evidence to back it up.

I am documenting my adventure this time. So, Here are some pictures this morning's trip to work:
On the way to work - see some hills I encounter
Name:  IMG00072.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  55.1 KB
Arrived at work
Name:  IMG00074.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  40.9 KB

I know this could go either way. Hopefully the right way. I drive like a granny for the mpg's and I have been making this same trip for the past 8 months (going fast 10-15mph over the speed limit to doing the speed limit). I drive the speed limit, accelerate slow, coast, use cruise control and take my time. I have gotten better at trying to squeeze mpg's out of the FIT. The highest mpg I have achieved before the last fill up was 42.2mpg's and I have been averaging 40mpg's. I will get to the bottom of this.

Last edited by pb and h; 04-09-2008 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore
And the Fit is powered by an internal combustion ENGINE the only motors are the starter motor, fan blower motor, and power window motors.
An engine is a type of motor. The following is the definition of the word motor from Websters Dictionary. According to Webster, the use of the word motor to describe a car's engine is correct on two counts. 1: The engine is the cars prime mover (Websters definition also included for your pleasure) and 2: the Fit's engine is an internal combustion engine (see Webster's definition 2b) . Why do you bust peoples balls (many times incorrectly) over little sh** like this?

motor \ˈmō-tər\ noun 1: one that imparts motion; specifically : prime mover 2: any of various power units that develop energy or impart motion: as a: a small compact engine b: internal combustion engine; especially : a gasoline engine c: a rotating machine that transforms electrical energy into mechanical energy

prime mover noun Etymology: translation of Medieval Latin primus motor
Date: 1809 1 a: an initial source of motive power (as a windmill, waterwheel, turbine, or internal combustion engine) designed to receive and modify force and motion as supplied by some natural source and apply them to drive machinery b: a powerful tractor or truck usually with all-wheel drive2: the self-moved being that is the source of all motion3: the original or most effective force in an undertaking or work

Last edited by spreadhead; 04-09-2008 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Banned
Because they sound like someone "Trying to be cool" by referring to the ENGINE as a "motor" whens it's NOT. And maybe he doesn't know the correct terminology. BUT hey that's not only my opinion check the Honda or Helm repair manual or even you owners manual do they refer to the motive power of your FIT as a motor in any entry ??? Of course not because the company that built the vehicle knows the correct term is engine. Now he knows but thank you for your interest in my posting now you know why to.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
Because they sound like someone "Trying to be cool" by referring to the ENGINE as a "motor" whens it's NOT. And maybe he doesn't know the correct terminology. BUT hey that's not only my opinion check the Honda or Helm repair manual or even you owners manual do they refer to the motive power of your FIT as a motor in any entry ??? Of course not because the company that built the vehicle knows the correct term is engine. Now he knows but thank you for your interest in my posting now you know why to.
Can't we get this a**hole banned permanently?

Old 04-09-2008, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
i use 89 everytime im going out of state im averaging about close to 35+ mpg... but around home im like between 26-29

Old 04-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Keep your documentation up...I am very interested to see your results.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Will do. I so want this to be true..........the great white hope! :P

I mean if it is true I want to kick myself in the ass for wasting money, on the other hand, I will be that more efficient and will have shared the knowledge. For this to not be true, oh well no harm done.

Notice, I have posted where my fuel gauge needle is resting/pointing as it correlates to the miles driven. Can anyone else testify to where their needle lies at certain miles driven?

I know this is just a vague indication(fuel gauge)............hell it seems like Honda gas tanks are like wine glasses(I don't remember who said it but they are dead on) - you seem to get a lot of miles out of the 1st half of the tank and not the last half. :P

Last edited by pb and h; 04-09-2008 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Update for tonight:

So, if you do the guestamation math assuming that I have used 3 gallons and gone 141.7 miles that equals 47.2mpg or if you say I used 3.5 gallons then that would equal 40.5 mpg.

I am starting to think negative. I remember from the last tank that I was at ~225 miles when the needle was at the half way mark on the gauge. Well, I will be able to tell when I get to work in the morning. I will fill up tomorrow night at the same gas station from the same pump if possible.

I feel like a complete retard getting excited/nervous about trying to get 50mpg........... :P

Oh, forgot to mention that I do have a skunk2 short shifter(not like that really makes a difference), use Mobil 1 synthetic(currently at 50% oil life which means that I have actually put 5K on the oil in the engine), and I last checked my tire pressure about 3 weeks ago and it was 40psi (cold), the air filter is the stock honda one with about 13K on it(yes, I changed the original one at 11k because my car was idling ruff due to dusty roads).

Last edited by pb and h; 04-09-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by pb and h
Update for tonight:

So, if you do the guestamation math assuming that I have used 3 gallons and gone 141.7 miles that equals 47.2mpg or if you say I used 3.5 gallons then that would equal 40.5 mpg.

I am starting to think negative. I remember from the last tank that I was at ~225 miles when the needle was at the half way mark on the gauge. Well, I will be able to tell when I get to work in the morning. I will fill up tomorrow night at the same gas station from the same pump if possible.

I feel like a complete retard getting excited/nervous about trying to get 50mpg........... :P

I think your computation is inaccurate. You should try calculating when the gas tank is almost empty and then filling it up not when the tank is half full. I can get the same gas mileage if I will be computing the same way you do. I would say wait till you have like 1 or 2 gallons left and then divide the total mileage with the total gallons you bought without overfilling.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black01
I think your computation is inaccurate. You should try calculating when the gas tank is almost empty and then filling it up not when the tank is half full. I can get the same gas mileage if I will be computing the same way you do. I would say wait till you have like 1 or 2 gallons left and then divide the total mileage with the total gallons you bought without overfilling.
go to the same pump, facing the same direction, and put it on the slowest filling level. that'd be the most accurate way of reading mileage from miles/gallons

Old 04-09-2008, 11:54 PM
It really is premature because you haven't perused the forums yet... if you do you will find a giant post.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ghlight=octane

That one and the several others ALREADY posted will answer any and all questions you have and correct your incorrect theory on octane.

wow........:O

Old 04-10-2008, 12:32 AM
5 Year Member
I may have to try this on my next tank. I have a ScanGauge II (you could use one!) so I'll know pretty quickly.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by mnapuran
I may have to try this on my next tank. I have a ScanGauge II (you could use one!) so I'll know pretty quickly.

Oh, please do it. That would help a lot!

update:
Name:  IMG00076.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  58.0 KB

Once, again the guestimation math would be 201.5 miles/ 5 gallons = 40.3mpg or if use 201.5miles/ 4.75 = 42.4mpg.

Obviously this is not near 50 mpg, however, the gas pump will tell all.

another side note:

FYI: My wifes 08 CRV has the luxury of displaying your instant average mpg and how many miles you have left in the tank at that moment in time.............so, for shits and giggles I always calculate the mpg and compare at every fill up, if I am with her. So, the calculation I use is the the # of miles driven/ gallons to fill up tank = average mpg. She fills up at different gas stations(one or many variable(s) depending on how you look at it) and she fills up at different times of the day(another, temperature, variable). Well, I have calculated as far off as 0.8 mpg below the display value and as far off as 0.3mpg above the display value. I have also, been dead on with the display value.

So, one can conclude that the simple equation, miles driven/gallons filled, will give you a very good estimate of the "true" average mpg. This is assuming the display is accurate and precise. I am assuming it is because again I am assuming the numbers are calculated by the amount of fuel that is sprayed per injector and the car is probably programed that a full tank = X gallons.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:54 AM
I opened this up and thought, "great, Claymore is going to have a smart ass remark for this one!" And, wouldn't you know it, I was right!!!
Good luck to you and I hope it does turn out to by higher than the 40 you are looking at. Oh, and to help you out, most tanks of fuel last for a long time until you get to the half way mark. And, when your low fuel light comes on, you have two gallons left.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:17 AM
5 Year Member
the scangauge does what your wife's crv tells.

it's a very useful tool. i reccomend it to anyone that is conscience of their MPG.

also, ive noticed that teh gas guage is NOT accurate. the half way mark is NOT 5 gallons.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tItAnIuM
I opened this up and thought, "great, Claymore is going to have a smart ass remark for this one!" And, wouldn't you know it, I was right!!!
Smart ass, yes, but smart, not so much! Hopefully he will keep it up and get banned again (permanently this time ).

Last edited by spreadhead; 04-10-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by tItAnIuM

Wuwhahahaaa my evil plan to improve posting is working. Got you guys reading posts to see if they are up to standards knowing what will happen if they aren't. Good job on spotting this one.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by spreadhead
Smart ass, yes, but smart, not so much! Hopefully he will keep it up and get banned again (permanently this time ).
Gee I guess I missed your posts jumping right in helping member Wave out when he needed it. Or maybe you weren't smart enough to offer help.

Last edited by claymore; 04-10-2008 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Thanks for the points hit !!

Quick Reply: 89 octane