General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Major AT shifting problem.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Major AT shifting problem.

Obviously I will be at the dealer Monday morning at 7:00a.m., but wanted
to share a rather strange problem I am having with my AT sport.

Basically the car will randomly not shift out of drive. Like when you are parking, it either won't shift into P, or just now it wouldn't shift out of D or S (switched between those two just fine, but would not go into N or above). So I was sitting there facing a wall in a parking space looking like an idiot, literally stuck in D, so I couldn't even back out). The shifter moves, but the tranny won't go into N (or usually it will not go into P, but will go up to R).

So I sat there and kept trying it and eventually it when right into P, smooth as butter, no problem.

It is totally random. It has done this 4 times now since Thursday (today is Sunday). It will then shift just fine and totally normal, park-- everything, then next time you stop, it's stuck.

Yet ANOTHER reason why AT on a little car like this just sucks. I would go MT in a heartbeat, and if you are on the fence and reading this...GET AN MT!! Wait for it if you have to. That's what I wish I did.

Mods I have (not that they should effect this problem) are:

T1R Carbon intake

T1R header (the problem started the day I installed the header, but I think it's probably just coincidence)

T1R VIP axle back exhaust

Only other modes are suspension (Skunk 2 coilovers and Progress rear sway).

Any insight is appreciated. I am just waiting for the dealer to tell me tomorrow that it;s caused by one of my mods so no warranty. I will be so pissed.

Damn I want the MT.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
Is your foot on the brake when you try to shift it to park?

Old 04-13-2008, 03:12 PM
Yes.

The car has 10,000 miles on it-- and has been totally fine up to this point and we are not doing anything different, FWIW.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:19 PM
Retired Moderator
Dealer definetly needs to look at and fix this problem under warrenty.

Tyler

Old 04-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Agreed. I was just curious if anyone here had any insights.. especially if the dealer tries to give me some load of sh*t about it being related to any mods or anything like that. I kind of doubt it, but the more knowledge/insight I can go in there with,the better, and myself-- I am clueless.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
Should have taken off your mod's before you went to the dealership for warranty work.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
is the MIL light on in the instrument panel? If it is throwing a code i have the tech manual i could let you know.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:56 PM
this issue is the reason why i am getting a MT. after reading that the AT likes to shift ALOT, i got worried the lifespan will suck on them.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Maximuz
this issue is the reason why i am getting a MT. after reading that the AT likes to shift ALOT, i got worried the lifespan will suck on them.
1 isolated issue?

Old 04-13-2008, 07:01 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i shift my MT a lot...

Old 04-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by leonine
is the MIL light on in the instrument panel? If it is throwing a code i have the tech manual i could let you know.
Nope- -no lights at all. The car dives and shifts fine while driving. This is strictly an issue with the shift lever itself not moving past N (sometimes) or R (3 of the 4 times it's happened) into P/park.

Last night it happened in the garage. I tried turning the car off which was a mistake, because then I couldn't get my key out and it stayed in ACC mode, so the radio was on. Luckily I snapped and (fortunately) was able to (this time) put in N, so I was able to start is again.

I was able to force the lever into P, but the car was not actually in P, hence the inability to start it. To get it out of P, I had to use the little emergency spot there on the shifter mount.

After the car started, I drove around the block and parked again and it shifted into park like butter as if nothing ever happened.

I dorve 2 more times, it was perfect, then on a third time it did it again, this time not moving out of D.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:16 PM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
i know this might sound stupid...
but is there a coin in there?
my sister had to bring her old car like 4 times a year to get the change taken out of the shifter- lol

Old 04-13-2008, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
man that sucks! i have an A/T too. when did you get it? is it an 07 or 08? Good luck at the dealer. let me know what you find out please.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by billmus86
i know this might sound stupid...
but is there a coin in there?
my sister had to bring her old car like 4 times a year to get the change taken out of the shifter- lol
that makes alot of sense. take off the console and see if there is something obstructing it. it's really easy. a couple of clips in the back by the seats and a couple up front. slides right out after you disconnect the clip for the acc outlet. maybe spray some wd40 in there.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Antpwny
Should have taken off your mod's before you went to the dealership for warranty work.
Man I appreciate the input, and you a likely right, but honestly, there is no freakin way I am going through all that just to take the car to the dealer. Screw those guys if they won't fix a problem not caused buy the mod-- which there is no reason this problem should have been. Countless others have done these rather basic mods to AT Fits.

I will def. post the outcome at the dealer though.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Hmmm. No way it's a coin, and if you know the design, how could anything get in there?? Maybe I'll go take a quick look. It does feel "obstructed" though, but comes and goes so profoundly. Weird.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jsensk
Man I appreciate the input, and you a likely right, but honestly, there is no freakin way I am going through all that just to take the car to the dealer. Screw those guys if they won't fix a problem not caused buy the mod-- which there is no reason this problem should have been. Countless others have done these rather basic mods to AT Fits.

I will def. post the outcome at the dealer though.
I understand it's a lot of trouble, but it comes with the territory. Have you checked to see if you can move from D to N just by pushing it forward? Typically that's all you need to do, if not there probably is something locking the gate, I remember there used to be something like that on my sister's old Maxima.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
i shift my MT a lot...
im a bit of a car noob.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:19 PM
I'll try that. So you should not have to squeeze the botton, just push it from D to N? Seems like I was able to yesterday when I was having trouble. Now I am afraid to mess with it because when it gets stuck it's a real drag and right now I know I'll be able to get it to the dealer in the morning.

Is there ANYTHING in installing a header that even gets near or interferes with this area at all? I mean I know the answer generally is "no", but anything even remote come to mind? (As you all can see I am sitting around obsessing on this on s Sunday night).

Last edited by jsensk; 04-13-2008 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:53 PM
They might give you shit about the mods because they may say it voided your warranty and so they might not do it for free.

As far as the a/t thing did you shift from d into s while driving or any other gear possibly?

Quick Reply: Major AT shifting problem.