General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

87 Octane with FAS

Old 04-15-2008, 07:17 PM
87 Octane with FAS

Now, I am going to attempt FAS(Forced Auto Stop) using 87 Octane. I just filled up my tires yesterday to 45psi and now my oil life is reading 40%. I think I am on the verge or needing a new air filter as well. I am thinking of getting a K&N filter.......any thoughts on that?

I just tried FAS on the way home today and it is taking some getting use to.......timing and when I should and shouldn't do it. I have estimated that I have coasted without using fuel about 5miles on the way home. I am not sure if I can achieve that or more on the way to work.

So, here is where I stand now:
Name:  IMG00084.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  63.6 KB

Again, I plan on reporting my trips to and from work with pictures from the wonderful blackberry.

I am thinking if I can coast a total of 10 miles a day. That would be great, not to mention when I coast up to a stoplight in this mode(no fuel used) I can sit at the light and start the car when the light turns green.

Wish this me luck and that I don't screw up and wreck!

Old 04-15-2008, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
After trying FAS a few times, my feeling is this is over the line of a driving task and complicated enough in a non hybrid like a Fit that I'll never do it more than the 2 time I tried. That said if it works for you great.

I think the term is BS.
There's nothing Automatic about that action...

OBTW Nice first cleanmpg tank Glad you are recording your effort. I'll be watching how your average proceeds as you get 5 or more fills recorded.

I'm pretty sure I'm into a 42 avg. I suspect it will fall this summer with the A/C on.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:50 PM
lol. I agree with the FAS term. Any who, the FAS is a bit annoying. For my car(not sure about other FITS) i have wait like 1.5-2sec when I turn the key to the off position, because if I turn it back to the II position(on) then it is like I never turned the damn thing off. So, I find myself counting 1 mississippi and 2 m, then I turn the key to the II position. My first thought is that I am robbing my self of precious mileage while the car is completely off and it does take like 1.5-2 seconds before the steering wheel is freed from being locked. This is getting annoying. I don't think I gained 5 miles like on the way home. I don't know if I will keep this up. :P

Update of when I got to work:
Name:  IMG00085.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  61.9 KB

Old 04-16-2008, 08:39 PM
The evening update:
Name:  IMG00087.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  64.7 KB

I must say I had to drive home with the A/C on. The A/C setting was on the coldes but only the 1 fan speed. I left work 30minutes earlier than usual as well which put me in an ass of traffic. FAS is not for lots of traffic.......light traffic yes. So, I was unable to use FAS as much as I would of liked too. The fuel gauge makes me think I may get in the 45-50mpg range..........time will tell.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:16 PM
why?

fuel injectors are shut off when at speed and foot off the gas and in gear.. basically the same thing.. unless automatic doesn't do that.

still.. I think hypermilers have a few screws loose..

Old 04-16-2008, 09:41 PM
Is that true of all gears, at any speed? That would be great if so.

The advantages of having the car off is taking it out of gear so you can coast further, maintain the same speed longer and increase speed(while going down hill). I have experienced all these advantages when using the FAS technique.

The question becomes how much wear n' tear does it put on the clutch since you have to "pop the clutch" to get the car going again. Also, are you willing to put up with the inconvenience of doing FAS. I still think this is annoying. However, I want to continue with the experiment.

I am still wondering what the hell kind of air filter to get: honda, K&N or do some sort of short ram intake???

Old 04-17-2008, 10:46 AM
This mornings update:
Name:  IMG00088.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  67.8 KB

Nice weather this morning I didn't even have to drive with my lights on, which I usually have to do. It is suppose to be 80 this afternoon. I will definitely be using the A/C on the way home. Well, I guess I am putting the A/C to the test as well. I am not looking forward to summer!

Anyone have any good evidence on which air filter or intake system I should purchase?

Old 04-17-2008, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pb and h
Anyone have any good evidence on which air filter or intake system I should purchase?
Are you wanting to buy one thinking you will see Eco gains in your Fit, or some other reason?

Old 04-17-2008, 07:06 PM
I want an air filter that will yield better gas mileage.

Update for the evening:
Name:  IMG00090.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  62.0 KB

So, I have a 1/4 of a tank left(I hope and then some). Again, I had to use the A/C all the way home. I use the recirculation setting, the coldest setting and on one the lowest fan speed.

If my calculations are right then I am looking at 48mpgs right now........reasoning: Some where I remember someone saying 1.7gallons left when empty light comes(I don't know if this is true but lets assume it is - I know getting my hopes up). so we subtract 1.7 from 10.8 then divide the answer by 4. Take the quotient and divide that into the mile on the tank to get 48.7mpg. I will fill up at the same gas station tomorrow whether or not the gas light comes on. I just hope I have enough gas to get to the same gas station which is about 60miles from my house. I will post the final results tomorrow morning when I get to work.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
I want an air filter that will yield better gas mileage.

If my calculations are right then I am looking at 48mpgs right now........reasoning:
I'd guess closer to 42mpg, based on an estimated 160 miles from the F line to the 1/2 line.

PS
I don't think anyone has any data or proof that an after market air cleaner system or element will show a measurable improvement in ECO.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:42 PM
I think I will just get the K&N filter......at least I can wash it when it gets dirty instead of buying a new honda one for $25.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
lol. I agree with the FAS term. Any who, the FAS is a bit annoying. For my car(not sure about other FITS) i have wait like 1.5-2sec when I turn the key to the off position, because if I turn it back to the II position(on) then it is like I never turned the d*** thing off. So, I find myself counting 1 mississippi and 2 m, then I turn the key to the II position. My first thought is that I am robbing my self of precious mileage while the car is completely off and it does take like 1.5-2 seconds before the steering wheel is freed from being locked. This is getting annoying. I don't think I gained 5 miles like on the way home. I don't know if I will keep this up. :P
I discovered this through FASing...
The reason your engine restarts is because the engine is spinning so fast. So, to only have the odometer off a second when FASing, do this:
1. Shift to neutral
2. Wait for your engine speed to return to idle (900 RPM, takes a second or so)
3. Turn car off, then back to Accessory-II quickly.
4. Voila. The car wasn't counting mileage for only a split second, and the car will not restart.

Some dorky math...
5,280 feet per mile
60 MPH = 1 mile per minute
60 MPH ==> 5,280 feet / 60 seconds = 88 feet/second

So if your engine were off for 2 seconds, you've lost 176 feet.
176/5,280 = 0.0333 miles.

If you did this 100 times per tank, you would have lost 3.333 miles. That really isn't much... but using the above steps will minimize the amount of lost miles.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the tip. I will try that but then the question becomes is that better than idling which wastes gas..........your method is probably better for FAS.

In for the results.
Just before I pumped gas:
Name:  IMG00091.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  51.5 KB

After pumping gas:
Name:  IMG00092.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  27.9 KB
Again sorry for the blurry pic and the sun but the gallons used are 8.183 and the needles is on the right side of the F or full mark which is usual for my fuel gauge.

So lets, do the math: 388.1/8.1 = 47.9mpg( I truncate the 100ths place for significant digits, since I have no clue as to what it would be on the trip meter but if we include the 8.18 for gallons then it would = 47.4mpg)

Just imagine if I used Applemac*Fit's technique and didn't use the A/C........50mpg easily.

The question I and anyone else must ask them self..............is it worth the hassle???

I found myself FASing the rest of the way to work after filling up......I think I am developing a habit, annoying as it maybe. :P

Last edited by pb and h; 04-18-2008 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:11 PM
Why are your tires at 42psi

And

What is forced auto stop exactly?

I'm getting 36mpg with 40% hwy/60% city.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:08 AM
FAS =
Originally Posted by AppleMac*Fit
So, to only have the odometer off a second when FASing, do this:
1. Shift to neutral
2. Wait for your engine speed to return to idle (900 RPM, takes a second or so)
3. Turn car off, then back to Accessory-II quickly.
4. Voila. The car wasn't counting mileage for only a split second, and the car will not restart.
My tires are at 45psi because it will give less surface area than at 32psi. The theory behind this is, one will cause less friction which will yield better mpg.

Achieving better mpg is 90% technique and 10% little changes/modifications to your car.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:48 PM
If you are wondering here is my typical daily commute:

My daily commute is about 60 miles one way with hills, city traffic(~40%) and inter/intrastate(~60%). The city never gets over 45mph and gets as low as 35mph. The highway driving ranges from 65mph-45mph (speed limit that is). I am only at 65mph for about 10 miles, 45mph for about 10 miles, 60mph for about 35 miles and 40 mph for about 5 miles.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member
It looks like you have close to 25k miles. Did you just get this Fit or just get interested in eco?

On you commute how many stop starts?

PS On your filter thread I gave you a challenge

PSS What's with you link to the Clean mpg site It says 47.9 mpg (with 8gal of gas logged) but your link says 43.4.

Last edited by pcs0snq; 04-19-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:27 PM
I bought the car at the beginning of August 2007.

I encounter at least 25 stop lights.......I haven't counted

I accept the challenge! :P

I don't know what is up with it b/c It is fine with me but I do use Firefox.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
Your not using a scan gauge right?

Is the 47mpg typical of what you measure sense 8/07?

One thing I see on my way shorter commute of 25miles each way is the MPG is increasing the entire trip. I can see that on the SG. it's like at 6 as I roll out the 100' drive and 13 and the end of the street (about 1/8 mile) .....

I see what wrong with you cleanmpg sign. You put up a static image.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...lbert/1110.png

That's no good if you want it to be dynamic like most of us have.

It has to be a hyper link like this:
http://www.cleanmpg.com/garage/images/938.png

Last edited by pcs0snq; 04-19-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:33 PM
I do not have a scan gauge, not sure if I want one.

My typical gas mileage has varied a lot. I just started trying to get better mpg this year. I did manage to get 42 mpg last year one time. If I am not in a hurry and I drive the speed limit and coast and don't use A/C then I can easily get 42. However, most of my driving last year was any where from 5-25mph over the speed limit which I would get 35-38mpg. I am really trying to get better mpg just to see how much I can get......it is a challenge. I have to say I drove like a jackass on the way home from work yesterday so, I will not count this tank as trying to achieve good mpg. Sometimes I become impatient........it gets old driving 1hr 15min to and from work everyday. The wife and I don't want to live in the town where I work even though I was and still have the chance for paid relocation(nothing there and I don't want to put my children in private school). Moving closer maybe an option in a few years but only about 20miles closer.

I did posted a picture in my signature using photobucket as the host. By the way both of the links look the same when I click on them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 87 Octane with FAS