General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

30% Oil Life, 400 Mile trip?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 04:33 PM
tin
5 Year Member
30% Oil Life, 400 Mile trip?

I have around 4500 miles, almost due for my first oil change with oil life at 30%. I'm about to go on a 400 mile round trip soon and wonder if I should get this done before or after the trip. I imagine I would get down to 15% (or maybe even 10%) after the trip, which would be perfect and I can bring it in after my trip.

Good idea, bad idea, suggestions? It's actually around 300 miles, but I just threw in another 100 in case I take some detours. This is all very new to me, I know very little about cars and in my old car I average a little over 1000 miles A YEAR, and I only change the oil because I figure the oil was getting old. In the fit, I have 4500 miles in 4 month, I'm very proud of myself.

Also, what does that maintenance minder system usual recommend the first time? I read on here that it's oil change, tire rotation, and air filters? Or is it different depending on what the minder system thinks?

Old 05-05-2008, 04:36 PM
I think you will be fine if you wait.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:39 PM
I <3 SPOON
5 Year Member
really it's up to you
maybe somebody else can chime in

but i changed my oil for the first time at 4k
you should be alright either way if you change it now or later

Old 05-05-2008, 04:39 PM
I dont think that 300 miles ish should drop it that bad. You should be just fine. I cant remember for first oil change if you have to rotate the tires or not but i rotate mine every oil change anyway just to be on the safe side.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
I'd do it now regardless of the pending trip.

After studying this for some now, Honda's recommendation of 15% on the MM maybe fine for changes after the 1st, but the 1st should be done around 4k no matter how you drive. This is based on analysis and metal content in an oil sample test I have. It's also a way more common as an industry standards and way more safe to do it way sooner than 5k, 6k or more.

The confusion results because Honda uses an oil high in Moly in that 1st fill and the simple minded suggestion is it's great oil let it eat.

Well it is great oil, but no oil is good when loaded with break in metal that is in solution. It will eat on the bearings and other metal surfaces.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:17 PM
Retired Moderator
When i went and got my oil changed last month the Honda rep. said its safe to take it down to 15%.

Tyler

Old 05-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
You should be fine.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
I drive around 350 miles a week and that only dropped me 5-10% at the level you are at and I drive in harsher conditions through LA every day. You should be fine on your trip of 400 miles.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Ill be the first to say change it. I change my oil at 4500miles no matter what. The MM doesnt do anything for me.
Just get it over with. Then its one less thing youll worry about while driving and after you get back.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:55 PM
I'll say that you should wait, my first oil change was at 59xxmiles and had about 20% oil life. The Honda mechanic even ask me if i really want to change my oil because I still have 5% left before 15%. But its your call, from now on I will start changing the oil in my fit around 30%

Old 05-05-2008, 11:02 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
waiting is fine. First recommended change is 5k.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:10 PM
tin
5 Year Member
I'm the procrastinating type and since it doesn't seem like it'll kill the car, I think I'll wait. Thanks for all the feedback!

Old 05-05-2008, 11:14 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
or can you ask the dealer to cut you some slack knowing that you're
going to be on a semi-long drive and have them do it at 30%?

Old 05-06-2008, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
I'd do it now regardless of the pending trip.

After studying this for some now, Honda's recommendation of 15% on the MM maybe fine for changes after the 1st, but the 1st should be done around 4k no matter how you drive. This is based on analysis and metal content in an oil sample test I have. It's also a way more common as an industry standards and way more safe to do it way sooner than 5k, 6k or more.

The confusion results because Honda uses an oil high in Moly in that 1st fill and the simple minded suggestion is it's great oil let it eat.

Well it is great oil, but no oil is good when loaded with break in metal that is in solution. It will eat on the bearings and other metal surfaces.
Honda may recommend 5k b/c the first oil lubes the seals etc. Changing it prematurely may interfere with such processes. As for oil test done by places like blackstone every engine has unique characteristics, and some may have metal some may not. IIRC european miles say around 10k (converted for miles) changes.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:01 AM
The question is. Are you an agressive driver? If you drove the last 4,500 miles agressively, I advise you to change your oil. But if you drove it like a granny, then it's probably ok to drive it up to 6,000 miles without oil change. Also, I was told by the Honda dealer that break-in oil lasts about a year. I'm not sure if I should believe them though. It'll be fine to take that trip as long as you don't push the car near redline. Just make sure you got enough oil though.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by icedmocha
Honda may recommend 5k b/c the first oil lubes the seals etc.
How did you come up with 5,000 miles? Best I can tell the Honda recommend change point is 15% and that ends up being way more on the ones that posted here. 7k-ish

As far as the test results. I will be posting mine soon and it will be interesting to see how it compares to the other Fit sample for metal content.

BTW Other than the heave Moly content, the additive package is not all that special. In fact, about the same as many others like Shell Clean.

Waht could it have that could alter seal life from a base oil?

Old 05-06-2008, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
Let it wait

Wait until after your trip, IF you want to do it the way Honda's engineers have asserted that it be done. It's in the manual that you shouldn't change your oil early the first time.
However, you really aren't all THAT early, so whatever suits your schedule should be perfectly fine.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
mine went to 15% around 4.3k, i think.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steeldog
It's in the manual that you shouldn't change your oil early the first time.
Please proved the manual name and page number. I thought I had seen that before but looked a week ago and could not find it.

BTW.Are you sure the Honda Engineers defined that 15% as opposed to some other Honda worker? Not to split hairs on the point with you, but it lacks evidence and makes no sense from all conventional wisdom. As an engineer, I have see many others develop tech/owner books that have other driving reasons for telling the owner to do something. At times they conflict with what the engineer wanted, but the engineer did not have the pen.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:21 PM
tin
5 Year Member
I decided to call up my deal yesterday and ask, the advisor said to bring it in. Took it in today and another advisor said 15% is fine, but changing the oil now is cool too. I also did a tire rotation, he said that is recommended at 5k (I'm at 4.6k).

After the oil change I noticed that there is less vibration at idle, maybe it's just me. I asked the advisor about it before the service, but he said since it's a sunday they didn't have staff to do that diagnosis so I should come back for that another day. I guess I don’t need to do that anymore. Like new again.

Quick Reply: 30% Oil Life, 400 Mile trip?