General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Interstate Speeds - Way Down

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
Interstate Speeds - Way Down

I made a long-distance drive this past weekend on I-10, and it really seems like everyone has slowed-down for the most part.

At 70 (on a 70MPH Interstate), I was passing semi's.

I also didn't have that many cars passing me - and those that did, weren't flying by.

Has anyone else noticed this? I don't do a lot of Interstate travel, so it really seemed like a change.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:21 PM
I think at higher speeds your engine comsumes more gas, maybe thats change. Also could depend on thie time of day that you were traveling.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by SmartSizer
Many shipping companies are putting limiters on there trucks and saving millions of dollars a year in fuel costs.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SmartSizer
I made a long-distance drive this past weekend on I-10, and it really seems like everyone has slowed-down for the most part.

I also didn't have that many cars passing me - and those that did, weren't flying by.

Has anyone else noticed this? I don't do a lot of Interstate travel, so it really seemed like a change.
I do a fair amount of interstste travel and I have not seen a noticeable change in NC. The Prius seem to be going slower now though. Big trucks still go 65-70 just as they have. Nearly all BMW's are 10 mph over the speed limit. And just as many if not more cell=phone users are weaving all over the lanes. And boy you should have seem the Myrtle beach traffic. No gas problem there.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Banned
Wow! It's been a long time since I have driven I-10 (last time was '94). I almost miss the drive from San Gabriel to Palm Springs. And to the point, in the So. SF Bay area, only old VW buses go slow. Everybody else is doing 75-80 in 65mph zones.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Retired Moderator
When there is no traffic most freeways around me roll 70-80mph. I have not seen a decrease in speed at all.

Tyler

Old 06-03-2008, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by space cowboy
Many shipping companies are putting limiters on there trucks and saving millions of dollars a year in fuel costs.
that reminds me of something I figured out in MI.
MI speed limit 70 (people went 75-85)
OH speed limit 65 (people went 70-80)
MI gas 10-20 cents more expense.

hmmmmm

I moved to Rochester, NY
speed limit 55
I can pass at 60 sometimes. seriously. its weird.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
Me also

Originally Posted by TOOL
When there is no traffic most freeways around me roll 70-80mph. I have not seen a decrease in speed at all.

Tyler
Me too. I mean, me either.

I have been traveling about 800 miles almost every weekend lately, and am usually running with the traffic at about 78-79 MPH. (Alabama interstate speed limit is 70MPH).

The one exception was Memorial Day weekend 2 weeks ago, when a lot of troopers were out. During that time, I set the cruise on 74. So, it's pretty much status quo with the automobiles around here. The 18-wheelers are a little slower, however. What Space Cowboy said about limiters / governors makes sense, from the POV of saving fuel money for the trucking companies.

Thank you, Auto Gods, for my Fit.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, it's f-king annoying when people are going 45mph on a 55mph
2 lane rural road especially on my weekend drives. been seeing
a lot of this crap lately.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
yah, it's f-king annoying when people are going 45mph on a 55mph
2 lane rural road especially on my weekend drives. been seeing
a lot of this crap lately.
ugh, same here!!!!

Old 06-03-2008, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by pip_rocks
ugh, same here!!!!
That's one of the causes of my low mileage... I rev it to pass those slow mutherz!

Old 06-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Detroit drivers do not know the meaning of slow lol. You seriously have to keep up with the flow or you will be eaten alive haha

Old 06-03-2008, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by TurboManGT
Detroit drivers do not know the meaning of slow lol. You seriously have to keep up with the flow or you will be eaten alive haha
I know what you are saying, I do it every day on I-94. The signs on the Ford (I-94 in the city) say 55 but I hold 70 -80 in the left lanes durring all but the hardest part of the rush.

A friend who is a state cop tells me that because of the dug in, 20 feet below city grade, nature of the freeways in Detroit there is no way to patroll them easily. They take the attitude of let the traffic flow and pick up the bodies when there is a wreck.

I hadn't been on 696 for a few months and MAN! off-hours are just flying. I went to Ferndale a few weeks ago at about 7:30pm and there wasn't much traffic, but what was there was moving 80-85 in the left lanes and I was holding up traffic at 70 when I exited on Woodward. I am going down again for the Trews show at the Magic Bag on Thursday and this time I will be prepared.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
I've sort of noticed this around my area. I dont get on the highway/parking lot at all, but a 4 lane road I travel every day it does seem that people are going a little slower. Sure there are still the maniacs out there, always will be, but these gas prices sure do seem to be causing some mild changes. Memorial Day weekend the roads here were empty, never seen that before.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
I drove from Orlando to Tallahassee when visiting friends a few months ago. Four hour trip, two interstates. Almost every vehicle on the 2- and 3-lane highways were going the. Exact. Same. Speed.

IIRC the limit was 65, and almost no one was exceeding. Worse, it seemed no native Florida driver had ever heard of "keep right except to pass" or they didn't care! Between large packs of vehicles kept in check by inconsiderate drivers doing the same speed in all three lanes, I opened up and hit 90 at times... until I hit the rear of the next pack, and had to jockey again.

I'm not an aggressive driver (I'm fairly defensive actually, and would get eaten alive if driving in Montreal) but those slow-moving packs frustrated the hell out of me. What did state troopers do to instil such fear of speeding into Floridians?

Old 06-03-2008, 11:11 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
in a little while prices of gas will settle at ~$5 and everyone will get
use to it or just not drive any more and the freeways/highways
will be back to normal speeds again....

this is only a temporary thing, i think (being very optimistic) so
hang in there. it's frustrating but not worth risking your lives for
making a dangerous pass.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:30 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I've been trying to slow it down some on the highway but you still almost get rear ended or run over from behind.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:51 AM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
i haven't noticed speeds decline at all...

Old 06-04-2008, 01:13 AM
Depends on what time I drive here. If I hit the 8 am traffic, lots of people rush regardless of gas prices because a lot of them are late for work. 10 am, the majority people usually cruise. 1-5 pm, lots of people driving faster than speed limit. All other times usually mean less traffic. But over all, I've been seeing more people driving slower since the $3.80 for regular.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:45 AM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
yeah, you have a good point.
it's kinda like that here too i guess...

Quick Reply: Interstate Speeds - Way Down