General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Am I hallucinating or are my headlights flickering??

Old 02-07-2011, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, it happens....

Have you popped your hood and looked at your battery? I'd be more suprised if it didn't happen. The Fit has one of the smallest batteries in any vehicle that doesn't have just two wheels that I have ever seen.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:24 PM
My fit does that also. At first, it really got on my nerves, but now I don't really even notice it. I guess I've just gotten used to it.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Very interesting .. Never had owned car that interior illumination flickers.
Even my old all beat up Civic doesn't do that.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:53 AM
The fit's battery is made by a boat company. It may be small and compact but it's really weak. I noticed it a lot too and finally got irritated and upgraded to an optima battery and relocated it to my trunk

Old 03-17-2011, 01:22 AM
I just got my FIT yesterday and I have had this flickering thing too. Thought I was seeing things. Glad that it is normal though....

Old 04-05-2011, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member
Me too

No you're not having flashbacks. I too have noticed it at night with lights & AC on, when the compressor switches in, there is a brief dim, apparently due to the tiny motorcycle battery not having enough reserve, and the alternator is not making a lot of current with the engine idling. Haven't noticed this while moving, and the revs are above idle. Doesn't take a lot, above 1500 rpm or so will bring alternator output up enough it shouldn't be happening. Tiny battery to save weight, you can almost recoil-start the motor !

Originally Posted by vtec just kicked in yo
I thought I was imagining it at first but I am pretty sure my headlights and interior lights are dimming/flickering slightly every so often. I suspect it's happening when the A/C is on. Almost like there is a slight dip in electrical current in the car.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I've never seen it happen in any other car I've had. It's not dramatic or anything but I find it slightly disturbing and I'm thinking it is going to be one of those things the service department will have a hell of a time diagnosing or even reproducing.

Am I having flashbacks from my college days here or is my sh*t really flickering when the A/C kicks on guys...

Old 09-21-2011, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
I just started having the same flickering of the headlights happen. I just noticed when my first headlight bulb went out (first in 5 years). After replacing both bulbs, the flickering is very apparent when the engine is cold. Once it reaches operating temperature, I don't notice it any more. Is the voltage regulator going?

Old 01-16-2012, 03:49 PM
I've been getting the flickering for months. Now the flickering is so bad that even the blower motor speed varies so you can both "hear" the flicker and see it. Scangauge says that voltage is spiking randomly from ~14v to ~17v when I start the car.

Bad alternator or voltage regulator? Cost to replace?

Old 01-23-2012, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
Voltage regulator

Replaced voltage regulator (included in the alternator) after replacing battery and lights several times, fixed scanguage spikes exactly as you described, no more wawawawawa flickering. All good now. Honda doesnt seem to be able to detect the faulty / failing voltage regulator, - i had to beg them to change it out because they said I was full of it...

but like I said.. its fixed now and been perfect for 30k miles since.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Crudy, did you ever have misfire issues also?

Old 01-23-2012, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, not alot but when cold from time to time - and it would stall out or nearly stall out at the first stop sign (about 1 minute out of the driveway, driven cold but gently) - however- I never got any codes from the car and neither did honda - they tested everything they could think of and couldnt detect or recreate it... but, like I said it was fixed the instant they replaced the voltage regulator and alternator- I did have to replace the battery (again) a couple months later - i think the high voltage from the failed regulator did a number on it.

but other then that its been perfect

Old 01-23-2012, 09:12 PM
Ha! Perfect. That's exactly the same situation I have and that's what I suspected also.
Thanks!

Old 01-25-2012, 08:51 PM
so the remedy is a bigger better battery. Has anyone installed an Optima bat without relocating? Pics?

this flickering is ridiculous... com'on Honda, you've had years to take care of this.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:50 AM
Hey Crudy, I am having the same issues you had with the power in the car. All my climate control lights flicker, plus all the taillights, interior lights! I also experience the AC blowing weird in waves when the lights flicker. Was the voltage reg and alternator all you changed out on your car?? How much did all that cost you to replace? I would appreciate your help as I have been battling this issue for years!! Thanks

Ryan

Old 01-27-2012, 10:36 AM
did a search and came up with a few worth looking at...

Optima Battery

better grounding advice from Fit4Spl

planning to do both, Vegas- i'm having the same issues as you and I just picked up a 2012. if you need a new bat I'd go with the Optima.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
Still flickering

Penske Honda Ontario, CA replaced the 1st alternator at 99,860mi (right before the 100K warranty ran out). It started this crap again about 85K mi later. It would blow the high beams out repeatedly. Changed the ELD, no change. I got HID's which took it well. So I'm at 268,000mi with the same bad alternator and did replace the battery last year (drove for 5mo with a battery that wouldn't start the car if you left anything on longer than 5 min!). No change. My bud had me get him a ScanGuage2 and i used it for a week. Damn thing was going from 11.8 to 17vdc running!! Ordering a new alternator tomorrow. Also gonna change the shocks and belt since they are all original!

Old 02-04-2012, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by alarmgui
Penske Honda Ontario, CA replaced the 1st alternator at 99,860mi (right before the 100K warranty ran out). It started this crap again about 85K mi later. It would blow the high beams out repeatedly. Changed the ELD, no change. I got HID's which took it well. So I'm at 268,000mi with the same bad alternator and did replace the battery last year (drove for 5mo with a battery that wouldn't start the car if you left anything on longer than 5 min!). No change. My bud had me get him a ScanGuage2 and i used it for a week. Damn thing was going from 11.8 to 17vdc running!! Ordering a new alternator tomorrow. Also gonna change the shocks and belt since they are all original!
Did you replace the alt with a rebuild or an OEM new alternator?
Your serp belt is original at 268k? Perhaps it has stretched beyond the point the tensioner can correct?

Old 04-04-2012, 07:41 PM
I can confirm that if you replace the alternator, it does fix the VOLTAGE problem...

Old 04-13-2012, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
Mine definitely has a bit of a flicker. Dealer says it's normal....I'm pretty sure it's not. This is without anything else on except the headlights. 2007 Fit repetitive voltage spiking/dimming - YouTube
Fast flicker/ voltage spiking on a 2007 Honda Fit - YouTube

Old 11-04-2013, 01:38 PM
My fit is flickering also

I build customs for a living and I have never experienced a consistent flickering like the one I have had occurring in my 07 Honda fit. I just replaced the battery. I had a suspension that my voltage regulator may have gone bad in my fit. I am going to replace my alt and let you know if it fixes my problems. And no if you are having this problem regularly it is not windows or fans or ac power drain... and you are not crazy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Am I hallucinating or are my headlights flickering??