General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Lying Salesman?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 05:51 AM
Lying Salesman?

Hello,people,new member here.I have a question.I put down a nonrefundable 500.oo deposit on a new Fit.I was told theres 3 coming in on june 6th. Istopped by the dealer on the 7th, there were 2 on the lot,but not the color Sport i wanted. I think they got it in and sold it to someone else. Is this common? Im pretty sure the salesman lied to me,i asked if he sold it to someone else,of course he said no. If its not in in a week or so,can i get my money back? This is not the way i want to do business,i planned on having it serviced there too.Please respond with your opinions,Thanks

Old 06-08-2008, 06:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pj1150r
Hello,people,new member here.I have a question.I put down a nonrefundable 500.oo deposit on a new Fit.I was told theres 3 coming in on june 6th. Istopped by the dealer on the 7th, there were 2 on the lot,but not the color Sport i wanted. I think they got it in and sold it to someone else. Is this common? Im pretty sure the salesman lied to me,i asked if he sold it to someone else,of course he said no. If its not in in a week or so,can i get my money back? This is not the way i want to do business,i planned on having it serviced there too.Please respond with your opinions,Thanks
NEVER give in to a "non-refundable" deposit, YOU are the customer and they should want to PLEASE you, without either of you taking advantage of the other (well, maybe a little!) But, it they don't come through, I would demand my money back, escalating up the corporate chain if necessary, and look for another dealer. I bought my Fit through my credit union buying service, just to avoid those type hassles!! Just my .02 worth!
'07 VBP Sport 5MT w/ minor appearance & comfort mods!!

Old 06-08-2008, 07:45 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
typical case the inventory never arrived (sold on the way due to lack
of communciation and paperwork shuffling) or the sales team at the
dealer were not made aware of your deposit and hold you had... and
some other salesman sold it.

worst case the car was damaged on the way and being repaired...

Old 06-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Banned
"Non-refundable Deposit"
No such thing- not legal anywhere. Send the dealer a letter (Certified, Return Receipt Requested) advising them that you intend to file against them in Small Claims Court, and before doing that, file an on-line complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Your BBB claim will be on file for anyone to see until they solve the problem to BBB standards.

By choosing to not buy from a crooked dealer on a hugely popular car, you cause them no damage or loss of income that would be used to justify the deposit being kept. This dealership has shown you by these actions that they are not worth your business.

I got MY "non-refundable deposit" back in 2 days.

Last edited by manxman; 06-08-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:48 AM
nonrefundable?

Originally Posted by manxman
"Non-refundable Deposit"
No such thing- not legal anywhere. Send the dealer a letter (Certified, Return Receipt Requested) advising them that you intend to file against them in Small Claims Court, and before doing that, file an on-line complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Your BBB claim will be on file for anyone to see until they solve the problem to BBB standards.

By choosing to not buy from a crooked dealer on a hugely popular car, you cause them no damage or loss of income that would be used to justify the deposit being kept. This dealership has shown you by these actions that they are not worth your business.

Listen to Manxman! This nonrefundable deposit is BS. The BBB is great but also inform the salesman you'll be talking to Honda corporate office about this. Also the salesmen know the progress of your car. Mine told me when the car's assembly was completed, when it was put on the boat, when it arrived on out shores, and then approx. when the truck should arrive. He wasn't far off. You should use the internet to "sing from the mountaintops" about this and make sure your salesman and his boss know you're going to do this. Good luck! Be a jerk, they are!

Old 06-08-2008, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
Search around online and you should be able to find a list of things that dealers will try to pull but that are illegal or not following BBB standards of business.

That non-refundable deposit is one of those, as is the "non-negotiable documentation fee".

I paid my $300 doc. fee, but I didn't care. I was able to talk them down from me paying them $1,500 after my trade-in to them paying me $0.50 after the trade-in. hahahaha I think they weren't exactly happy about that.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:23 PM
wow i just got my fit a week ago and they did a locate on the exact color and model i wanted,car was at my dealer the next day for my purchase,deposit was 150$

Old 06-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by fittmann
I bought my Fit through my credit union buying service...
Sorry to get off topic here, but I was curious as to how your deal went with the C.U. buying service. With the popularity of the Fit, I have wondered if you could get one through a service like Car Solutions and the like. Did you have to pay sticker?

Old 06-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by bryanback
You should probably just talk to the manager first, before you get all sue-happy on them. It could have been a very simple mistake. Chances are if it was, and you talk to the manager, they'll help you out (with a lower price or free accessories or such). If you (threaten to) sue them, they won't be happy, and won't want to help you out.
Thanks very much for your advice after-the-fact. In my case, the manager's attitude was "if you don't buy the car, we have a waiting list of people who will". So I hit the crooked dealership with everything at my disposal that was free- BBB report & letter. When you act like a doormat, you get walked on- simple as that.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:00 AM
And now back to the crooked dealer stories...

Willett Honda in Morrow GA (just south of ATL), actually has the following in their internet ads; ALL PAYMENTS FOR ADVERTISED VEHICLES MUST BE FROM WILLETT HONDA APPROVED LENDERS......!!!NO CASH, CHECKS, OR CREDIT UNIONS!!!

I copy and pasted that so I didn't miss anything. Can you imagine a dealer that won't accept cash? Personally, I always use my Credit Union to finance my cars, and I find it both offensive and ridiculous that they would turn down a sale because I had pre-arranged my own financing.
I should add that I would never consider buying from these guys anyway because I've heard too many horror stories about them.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Thanks very much for your advice after-the-fact. In my case, the manager's attitude was "if you don't buy the car, we have a waiting list of people who will". So I hit the crooked dealership with everything at my disposal that was free- BBB report & letter. When you act like a doormat, you get walked on- simple as that.
Unfortunately, many Honda dealers do not have good customer service. They know they sell a quality product all down the line. The salesman really just have to sit there and sell the cars, no running out to the lot to try and corner someone. When I bought my Fit there was no discount (May 2006). It was, take it or leave it basically. It seems to me that Toyota Dealers act the same. Hyundai and to some extent Nissan seem willing to cut deals.

Last edited by hiroko12; 06-09-2008 at 11:11 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by mdm427
And now back to the crooked dealer stories...

Willett Honda in Morrow GA (just south of ATL), actually has the following in their internet ads; ALL PAYMENTS FOR ADVERTISED VEHICLES MUST BE FROM WILLETT HONDA APPROVED LENDERS......!!!NO CASH, CHECKS, OR CREDIT UNIONS!!!

I copy and pasted that so I didn't miss anything. Can you imagine a dealer that won't accept cash? Personally, I always use my Credit Union to finance my cars, and I find it both offensive and ridiculous that they would turn down a sale because I had pre-arranged my own financing.
I should add that I would never consider buying from these guys anyway because I've heard too many horror stories about them.
They might just as well build a huge billboard at the front of their lot:
WE ARE CROOKS!!!

At least they saved you the time of trying to negotiate. This is like an eBay vendor who won't accept credit card payment.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
i've never paid a deposit. i called the dealership that i do business with and i requested the model and color i wanted and they located it for me.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
"Non-refundable Deposit"

x2, was just about to say the same thing. Go get your money back and go else where.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by bryanback
There's a difference between acting like a doormat and a douchebag. Let's say that he put his deposit down, and a different salesman sold the car he had secured, unknowingly. There's no shady business practice here, it was a simple misunderstanding. If he goes directly to the BBB and files a complaint and takes it to the dealership, the best case scenario is that he'll get his deposit back and pay full msrp on the car he wanted. The dealership will not want to make a customer happy when they skip all customer service and immediately file a complaint. If he instead calmly talked to a manager, the best case scenario is that he'll get his deposit back, pay less for the car, and maybe get a couple accessories thrown in. worse case scenario is that he gets his deposit back and pays full msrp for the car. When you act like a douchebag, people don't want to help you in any way - simple as that.
Claiming that his deposit was "non-refundable" was grounds for taking action, not grounds for saying "well OK, if that's your policy, I guess I have to live with it". Thanks for the "douchebag etiquette". I'll know exactly whom to ask for more in the future.

If a business blatantly tries to screw you, and you make another appointment for a future engagement, you deserve the train that's coming your way. Remind them to bring the KY.

Last edited by manxman; 06-09-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Banned
"Non-refundable" deposits are not legally enforceable anywhere, unless you have caused a dealer some form of loss by not buying a car. In the case of a new Fit, your decision not to buy causes no loss whatever. A crooked dealer saying "we TOLD you that your deposit was non-refundable when you paid it" is just scare tactics. If you have the brains and the determination for the job, you can use the law for your own protection. If you just sit and take it, people and the law can and will run over you.

These forums have shown that sales of the Fit line has produced some of the worst behavior, and lowest morality, in the car sales industry. Don't take it!!!!!!!

Old 06-10-2008, 06:09 AM
5 Year Member
[quote=manxman;335444If you have the brains and the determination for the job, you can use the law for your own protection. If you just sit and take it, people and the law can and will run over you.

These forums have shown that sales of the Fit line has produced some of the worst behavior, and lowest morality, in the car sales industry. Don't take it!!!!!!![/quote]

Sad but true commentary Manxman. Your experience as an AMSOIL salesman has hardened you against this.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Rob22315
Sad but true commentary Manxman. Your experience as an AMSOIL salesman has hardened you against this.
Take a remedial reading class- one more time especially for the reading impaired- I do not SELL Amsoil. I only BUY Amsoil. Got it now?

Since YOU brought this off topic, did you notice, Robbie my boy, that the extended drain Amsoil analysis thread by Buzzbomb has been restored? No SPAM involved, just your own scam on the moderators.

Last edited by manxman; 06-10-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
Don't give 'em an inch.

In my experience you don't have to be a twat, but you do have to be firm and decisive with these people. Get everything in writing...as most verbal agreements get forgotten, contorted, or plain disregarded.

I would demand what I was promised, as soon as possible. Often dealers can get cars from others if necessary. It's the least they could do.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
Take a remedial reading class- one more time especially for the reading impaired- I do not SELL Amsoil. I only BUY Amsoil. Got it now?

Since YOU brought this off topic, did you notice, Robbie my boy, that the extended drain Amsoil analysis thread by Buzzbomb has been restored? No SPAM involved, just your own scam on the moderators.
Actually, you said you were an AMSOIL dealer here:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ht=amsoil+sell

Post #3 your words, not mine YOU ARE AN AMSOIL DEALER - dealers SELL and buy. Oh WAIT, you said right in the post you were willing to buy and resell at cost. Here's the exact quote " I am an Amsoil dealer and would be willing to buy these products for you, and sell them at no mark up." I believe the proper phrase is PWNED!!!

FWIW, the posts I saw restored had the "amsoil dealer" labels removed from the posters sigs and other references to AMSOIL removed. Must have been good enough for the moderators to be OK with the posts. Not sure how I could scam the moderators, I have nothing to gain but a spam-free forum.

Last edited by Rob22315; 06-10-2008 at 05:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Lying Salesman?