General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Methods to increase your fuel mileage

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
Methods to increase your fuel mileage

Ask the countless idiots for help. lol

Last edited by pcs0snq; 06-23-2008 at 01:10 AM.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:54 PM
I'd like to contribute another fact:

I don't know about pumps in other states, but I've seen this happen alot lately. Sometimes when the pump at the gas station shuts off, it still drips gasoline left over. So watch to see if the pump drips gasoline to recover about 10-20 ml of gasoline. Just let it drip into your gas tank and the vapor recovery system will do the rest of the work. TAKE CARE!

I'm still not going to do engine shut offs around here, people drive crazy around here already!

Old 06-21-2008, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
  • Never warm up the eng, just start and drive.
You may save a little bit of gas a year but the life of your motor will decrease.

Last edited by demigod; 06-21-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:52 PM

Driving with the engine off saves gas for sure. You have to make sure your car can do that without issues. The Honda Fit has electric power steering, so as long as the key is in position II, it works fine. The vacuum boosted power brakes are good for 6 good stops with engine off. After that they work, just take way more pressure. Most cars will not lock the wheel unless the key is pulled. Don’t pull it.
No offense, but turning off your engine while driving is probably the stupidest idea I have ever heard off. You are inadvertently causing a road hazard. You aren't going to save that much more on gas by turning off your engine over using cruise control.

If you are going to be that nit picky about mpg and resorting to hazardous driving methods then get a Prius. You'll get 45 mpg then and won't need to turn your engine off

Last edited by rpboy06; 06-22-2008 at 12:49 AM.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
you might save a few bucks by turning off your engine but you will be DEAD

Old 06-22-2008, 08:52 PM
Turning off my engine is something I'd do if I drive between 2am-4am in the morning. Not alot of cars out there at that time. Any other time with moderate traffic, I'll say "No Thanks!"

Old 06-22-2008, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
FYI Nobody is going to put a gun to your head to do any of this.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by demigod
You may save a little bit of gas a year but the life of your motor will decrease.
not true. don't go off and be speed ricer, but don't let your motor run for 5+ minutes before driving

Old 06-22-2008, 10:31 PM
FYI Nobody is going to put a gun to your head to do any of this.
But you turning off your engine is like putting a gun to someone else's head

Old 06-22-2008, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
ii don't even care. i FAS all day every day. with the fit, you keep all steering control and braking.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:12 PM
  • Never warm up the eng, just start and drive. (30 sec to 1 min to get things oiled up, 2-3 min if it's -30c outside)
  • When you park, try and find a pull through spot so when it’s time to go you just drive off. ie drive in and drive off. No backing.
  • Accelerate medium to brisk to speed. Slow accelerating, contrary to belief, wastes gas. Hard acceleration wastes gas.
  • Anticipate your stops a ¼ mile or longer before you get to them.
  • At any stop (that’s longer than 1-2 minutes), stop the engine. Restart when cars start to move.
  • If you look well ahead at an intersection light change you can lift off the gas and coast with eng off. If it’s close, just keep in gear and lift off the gas. Engine braking. The Fit’s and most new cars shut down the fuel flow 100% when in this mode. You will not glide as far because of the engine braking, but the fuel flow is zero, the same as eng off.
  • Starting the car uses about 7 sec worth of fuel so the coasting in gear if it’s a short coast works the best.
  • When you get very good at intersections, you can get to the point that you see the light change and coast to a slow point just catching the traffic as they leave the intersection after the light goes green.
  • Never go faster than 65mph. Slower is always better for Eco.
  • Notice the winds. Any type of head wind kills mpg. Like wise a tail wind in very helpful.
  • Try different routs to work and use the SG to figure out what the best way is.
  • Keep your air and gas filters clean.
trimmed it down to the practical, sane ones IMO.. with some slight changes

Old 06-23-2008, 08:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wpgfit
trimmed it down to the practical, sane ones IMO.. with some slight changes
You missed one of the best: inflate your tires to 40 psi.

And I didn't see one about running non-alcohol fuel injector cleaner once a month. What, you think gasoline is clean?

As far as starting you should wait 15 to 20 seconds after starting before driving off, making sure you stay over 1500 rpm and less than 3300 for 5 minutes. Not only less wear but less gas used. DOT & SAE reports

Old 06-23-2008, 09:19 AM
This shit gets old - people disputing what the hell works. All we are saying is, " hey this works people "- take it or leave it.

The non believers should try it or checkout our results.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
Very true. I don't know how I missed this thread. It was a great writeup. No one's saying you have to do everything and get 50 MPG /500 mi tanks like we do. But at the same time, those hitting under 40 MPG more often than not should really evaluate their driving habits and compare to the items in this writeup.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by pb and h
The non believers should try it or checkout our results.
Conversely, the believers could demonstrate the efficacy (or lack thereof) for each method by doing a controlled experiment and posting the results. For instance, on one tank do only the FAS bit and nothing else. Then for another tank, do nothing at all. Drive the same routes, speeds, distances and so on for both tanks. Then compare the mpg for both tanks. That would clearly demonstrate the effects of FAS. Repeat this procedure for each method. If you start combining methods, then what stuff works and how much it works gets mixed up and the effects of each method becomes impossible to determine.

It's the scientific method and the only thing that will ever clear up this sort of dispute. Learn it and love it! It's the greatest invention of humanity.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
**** the disbelievers. they can't drive. **** em. they don't even try because they are disappointed and frustrated.

"hay, why does my AT sport with 18's and a retarded stereo system only get 25mpg when i have to floor it everywhere". get that shit outta here!!!!!

Old 06-23-2008, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
To me it gets down to a little respect for some FREE information and openly sharing some stuff that took some real work to figure out. When that effort is dissed, all users that let it happen on here end up losing.

I have started posting on the cleanmpg form and will limit my input on here.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
"hay, why does my AT sport with 18's and a retarded stereo system only get 25mpg when i have to floor it everywhere".

Old 06-23-2008, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
I have started posting on the cleanmpg form and will limit my input on here.
Yep, these guys just don't appreciate a good FAS.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
yeah, it's unfortunate that this forum doesn't want to accept good, honest help. *shrugs*. we can get our 45+mpg while these stubborn idiots can have their sub-30mpg

Quick Reply: Methods to increase your fuel mileage