General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

AC vs. windows down

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 03:56 PM
AC vs. windows down

there's the myth going around that windows down is better than windows up with AC. it is partly correct.

At low speeds generally under 40 mph windows down with ac off will save your tank. wind drag is minimal, but you'd squeeze out like .5-1 mpg. if you are going over 40 mph you get better gas mileage with the windows up and AC on/off.

i thought i'd share this info with you guys. i was having a debate about this in another bored i hang out at.

Myth busters tried this one out, and a few consumer report places.

gas saving products that guarantee better gas mileage is also not worth it's price. you spend 200 and it may take you 3-4 years or even longer to make that money back at the pump.

remember you pay for the product you are basically taking the money from gas companies and putting it someone else's pocket.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
The good thing about windows is that is isn't black and white. You can open the windows a little bit and still be comfortable while still using less gas than AC or having the windows completely down.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
how about windows up with the AC off?

Old 06-29-2008, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
On a sunny day when it's 95 degrees out? No thanks.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
That's when you tuck a freezer ice pack under your seat belt.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RichXKU
That's when you tuck a freezer ice pack under your seat belt.
yessir. idk. i feel fine driving on a 100 degree day with just a cold drink. windows up, no AC.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bryanback
I like to crank the heat on those days. Ya know, get the heat out of the engine bay, make it cooler, and get better mileage.
:takes notes:

hahahahaha

Old 06-30-2008, 01:23 AM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
haha wtf.
awesome last couple of posts

Old 06-30-2008, 01:26 AM
Its been too hot here to roll around with the windows down.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:47 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Good advice, especially for the summer. i'm sure a good amount of people know this but a reminder can't hurt

Originally Posted by FITDragon
On a sunny day when it's 95 degrees out? No thanks.
I need to tint my windows...the black interior! ONe day it was foggy and it was still hot! I think not only does the black interior suck sunlight, but it stays in there. Even when I park my car under the shade, everything in the interior (seats, dash, walls) feel like they're storing heat and slowly releasing it. So even in foggy days (the california fires smoke have been blocking the sun), I have to turn on AC.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:43 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
One thing I've found is that using the A/C when going slow, especially up hills, or around town, just KILLS the gas mileage. Especially if you have 3 other passengers, and have to downshift from 3rd to 2nd going up a really steep hill, thats when the A/C nails you.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by storm88000
One thing I've found is that using the A/C when going slow, especially up hills, or around town, just KILLS the gas mileage. Especially if you have 3 other passengers, and have to downshift from 3rd to 2nd going up a really steep hill, thats when the A/C nails you.
Yup, steep hills will cause your car to work awfully hard to work against gravity, and AC makes it much worse. Oftentimes, there are road signs before such steep hills warning to turn off your AC when going up the hill.

On a side note though, I drove from Reno to the Bay Area, through the Lake Tahoe area, with the AC on the whole time (on low), and two people with all of our stuff, and I still averaged 36 mpg. As long as you drive economically, and use common sense, having the AC on will not destroy your mileage. It'll just lower it a bit.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:37 PM

in memphis? in summer? no thanks.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:34 PM
when coming up to a hill i usually flip it recirculate and turn the a/c button off, keeping the fan on. that way i have enough power to climb the hill with less of a drag on the engine. it stays cool long enough to overcome the obstacle, and on the other side (downhill) flip the button back on. life is good.

someone needs to do a little custom modding in the a/c department. if we could get the a/c system out of something that blows hard and COLD like a 72 caddy, we could turn our fits into rolling meat lockers!!!

dave

Old 06-30-2008, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
mythbusters did an episode about it...forgot what the conclusion was though

Old 06-30-2008, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MemphisFit
in memphis? in summer? no thanks.
there's no such thing as a free lunch

Old 06-30-2008, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
why do cars run so freakin' slow/sluggish when the a/c is on? i don't know much about that part of the engine. i know that the compressor is driven by a belt, but what constitutes such a power loss? as you can tell, this has baffled me for a very long time.

-e

Old 06-30-2008, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
an internal combustion engine is an air pump. an AC compressor is an air pump. you have an air pump running an air pump. and iwht a small engine, you will notice it more than say, a semi truck lol

Old 07-03-2008, 10:27 PM
an internal combustion engine is an air pump. an AC compressor is an air pump. you have an air pump running an air pump. and iwht a small engine, you will notice it more than say, a semi truck lol
Yup! It's called Parasitic Loss.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
We get a little break in the Fit because the electric power steering is one less belt to crank.
People also seem to forget that electricity isn't free either. Always running the fog lights when it isn't foggy is causing the alternator to drag the engine twice as much as headlights alone.

Quick Reply: AC vs. windows down